dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shootings on la freeways

shootings on la freeways

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=1&cset=true

What is the missing ingredient here for making this a big deal?

The DC Snipers make world news in a few shootings. We have 16 in a short time, 4 of them fatal and its not getting nearly as much attention. Where are the police chief tv conferences? They keep saying that its "perception and not reality" and that this is the same number of shootings compared to other recent years. They are "apparently not related." Ok... MAYBE. Maybe not! It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to see the correlations between all of these new shootings. They have all been attacks on people who had no idea why they were attacked (those that lived). In most of them, a small dark car with tinted windows has been described. They are happening WAY closer together than the supposed comparable "recent years." Nobody has been caught and they continue to happen.

You might want to pick a different linky for your post.
    That one requires registration.

In the meantime, if I think of something meaningful to post later I will...

I'm strapped like "fiddy" when I roll into work so it's cool.

you get a new pup Joe? Pics Pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    You might want to pick a different linky for your post.
    That one requires registration.

In the meantime, if I think of something meaningful to post later I will...
    hah. whoops! it kind of shows my point, i wasn't able to find an article about the shootings on a non-register site!

I think this one is free and shows a time-line of the shootings (I think it needs to be updated for yesterdays): http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4449599/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by asun2art
    you get a new pup Joe? Pics Pics!!
    Sure did! Don't let his cute looks fool you, he's like Stripe from Gremlins.

Here's another one

Not sure... alot of them really don't sound related... but I don't know... definitely not as clear cut case of the same individual(s) as the D.C. sniper case was. Maybe there's just too many shootings in LA for anyone to notice anymore.

Having lived here for 10 years, I can say that I have never, during any of those years, even thought about freeway shootings. There is definitely something different going on here. There may be some unrelated incidents mixed in. But, I think there's a lot of evidence that a number of them are related.

I've lived in the LA area my whole life... and it's not really that new. In 1996, I saw a car-to-car shooting on the 60 in Pedley (east of the 15, west of the 215/91). In 1999, I saw a car-to-car shooting on the 10 in Ontario (right next to Ontario Mills, which is where we were headed for Monday Night Football festivities). Yes, both of these are east of LA by 30-40 miles, but the point is, the scenario isn't new.

In the IE, the car-to-car shootings have long been gang initiations. On the 60, they were typically (asian) gangs from the Diamond Bar area going east to where the cops aren't, and doing whatever it is they think they're doign for their initiation. On the 10, it looked to me (we were RIGHT behind it) that the two vehicles knew each other, though I really have no idea (they were both little hondas with the common racing crap stickers that came swerving up through traffic from way behind me - could have been a chase or a race, no idea which).

Bottom line: the number of people shot is still far fewer than the number of fatalities that occur from accidents, so I just don't care. Don't want to get shot? Don't drive on the freeways at 2AM. These days, I'm so jaded that I don't go north of the 55 or east of the 5, and you better believe there aren't any car-to-car shootings in south county.

I wonder what would happen if people started shooting back? Looks like a good excuse for some vigilante type 12 Ga. trolling.

RandomFool makes a good point, people in LA are used to shootings to be honest.

Sure, people get shot all the time in DC as well.

The difference between the snipers in DC and this case in California is that with the DC snipers, they had forensic evidence that proved all the shootings were linked. They were also leaving little notes behind...and average Joe was getting shot at the gas pumps and home depot in broad daylight, all within a very close radius. People were thus afraid to go shopping and the city almost shut down for a few days there. It all made for some real good drama for the networks.
    Last edited by Visionray; 06-13-2005 at 01:58 PM.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    the snipers shot people. Usually one shot to the head.
    LA seems to be a case of somebody shooting at cars, similar to what happened a few other places in the country... they really should ban that evil grand theft auto game that is causing all this.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Are you serious? Do you really think GTA is to blame for this?

I blame Bush and Elvis...

and those damn long hairs Led Zeppelin.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    I blame Bush and Elvis...

and those damn long hairs Led Zeppelin.
    "Mr. Smithers.. have the rolling stones killed"

Are you serious? Do you really think GTA is to blame for this?
    I believe they were sued or named in the legal proceedings concerning highway shootings in wv or ohio or one of those backward hill billy states.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    I believe they were sued or named in the legal proceedings concerning highway shootings in wv or ohio or one of those backward hill billy states.
    Interesting, but do YOU believe GTA is responsible?

it's evil I tell ya... pure evil.

No, ofcourse I don't think GTA is responsible.

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    i would blame everything that isn't obvious or most blamed.(music, movies, video games)

I would blame: Pencils(when they break and you have no sharpner), computers(never working), stubbing your toe, and lawn gnomes.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 06-13-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    I wonder what would happen if people started shooting back? Looks like a good excuse for some vigilante type 12 Ga. trolling.

You think people don't do that already?

/12 gauge stays at home.
    // 9mm is the gun of choice.
    /// Yes, I have a CC permit.

You think people don't do that already?
    Well, ya never hear about it. You'd think there'd be plenty of late night vigilantes, just playing pigeon in the park, waiting for some bone head to drive by and take a shot at them so the guys in the back can jump up and hose him dead.

I was riding my bike when I lived in a bad part of town (by Minneapolis standards). As I passed under a railroad bridge I felt a large whoosh of air past my ear and felt a thud on the road. I turned around and chased 4 little kids no older than 12 into their housing development. Just as I was chosing which one I was going to tear apart first a police car entered the lot and those kids jumped into the back as fast as they could. I explained to the police that they had tried to drop a rock on me, and he told me to go to the station later to give a statement. I went to the station, gave my statement, the police had recovered a cinderblock from the scene. I am sure those little twerps got no more than a slap on the wrist for almost murdering or turning me into a tomato.
    Last edited by admedia; 06-13-2005 at 04:43 PM.