A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Platformer Tutorials

Platformer Tutorials

does anyone that uses 3dfa have a platformer game tutorial? I tried downloading other peoples work to see what the structure of the game was, but i can never open the fla file, i can only open the shockwave flash file. Can anyone send me a MOVIE file that i can actually open? By the way, the files in the past i downloaded i did extract, its just i can never open the fla files. But can someone send me the MOVIE files of a platformer game i could use as a tutorial? Preferably a real basic one.

thanks tons

jaron

Two things to answer your question:

1> FLA files absolutely, POSITIVELY require Macromedia Flash; you can't open them in 3DFA no matter how hard you try
    2> I personally do not know of anyone on this forum who has done a platformer; the closest thing I know of is a side-scrolling war shooter in the samples menu of 3DFA which can give you an idea of how the side-scrolling element of a 2D platformer works, but it's a whole other genre we're dealing with, so I can't help further.

Does that get you somewhere?

P.S. There was talk of attempting such a thing as a community project; however, with the limited community support it got (and things fell apart en route with the lack of a new version of 3DFA, anyhow) the whole idea bombed out.
    Last edited by JSDvs9172; 06-15-2005 at 04:57 PM.
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

thanks for the info

thanks for the info. Yes i am only 3dfa, i dont use Macromedia flash mx, but so is it even possible to make a platformer in 3dfa? All ive ever made were shooters, and id like to make something newer, like a jumping game, something like that.

Hmmm... I always thought more of the people on these forums used 3dfa... but i guess not.

well i guess ill have to wait to see if anyone has come up with something i could use.

thanks anways though.

bye

jumping

well even if no one has any advice on platformers, could someone help me with "jumping" If i could figure out how to make a character jump i could go from there by making a dodging game where u have to dodge bullets or something...

thanks bye

I've created a simple side scroller in 3DFA:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/206446

It ended up making the front page of newgrounds when I submitted it, so someone over there must have thought it was good :P. I'd like to help you out, but I'm right in the middle of exams at the moment and promised myself I wouldn't do any programming until they finished. I've been writing up a complete tutorial on sidescrollers. It's almost complete but there is a bit of work to be done, so you might have to be patient for a few days :P.

I have a scrolling demo I've converted to 3DFA plus other examples at
    http://www.bfn.org/~cs881/3dfa

Hope it helps.

thanks for the scrolling demos, but i need to know like how to make a character jump, thats what im having trouble with.

thanks

jaron