dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: US DOJ seeks to deputize ISP's!?

US DOJ seeks to deputize ISP's!?

wth!?

Earlier this year, in the relaxing and family-friendly atmosphere of a Holiday Inn located in Alexandria, VA, Justice Department officials met with ISP industry group representatives to discuss the murder of anonymity. The government is thinking out loud about something that was unthinkable as short as five years ago, requiring ISPs to maintain log files of customer Internet activity. The rationale is simple: it's for the children.
    Ok, I understand that we don't want another Pete Townsend episode - just for the "research"... yeah right - but to deputize and gather information from your ISP for all of your activity... sounds too much like Big Brother to me.

Read here and here...

not that I do anything illegal, but I don't like being sneakily scruitinized.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Mixed reaction here. This could be like the same paranoia over the controversial aspects of the Patriot Act. The parts everyone is screaming about, that require a federal court order to perform and haven't been used once since being activated.

At the same time, the last thing we need is some kind of digital Watergate scandal.

to easy to cast reasonable doubt on the records being fake.

Well, if the RIAA can do it, why can't the government?

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    The government is thinking out loud about something that was unthinkable as short as five years ago, requiring ISPs to maintain log files of customer Internet activity.
    somebody didn't do their research. I believe something like this was floated during the clinton admin. It was also once floated to have financial institutions monitor and report on their clients.

Both shot down as this will be ... I hope. If it does go through I guess I can take some small comfort in the fact that it would be used for court cases after an arrest is made.
    Last edited by TallGuyLittleCar; 06-17-2005 at 03:21 PM.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The tech requirements (believe me when I say they're significant) would mean that most ISPs wouldn't do it, and would wait for a lawsuit filed against them, which they'd then challenge on constitutional grounds (right to privacy, out of federal jurisdiciton, etc).

seriously. imagine the hardware needed to track and archive every users activity.

Quote Originally Posted by indivision
    seriously. imagine the hardware needed to track and archive every users activity.
    they just need a bunch of gmail accounts, and send all invites to themselves, whenever they filled the account
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Yea I hope it doesn't happen.

What I would like to see is a universally accepted rating system that parents could use to restrict internet usage and block certain content and websites. Maybe you guys have some suggestions for me but the Internet Explorer content settings are a joke. I just end up having to type my password in every five minutes because no websites use it.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Yea I hope it doesn't happen.

What I would like to see is a universally accepted rating system that parents could use to restrict internet usage and block certain content and websites. Maybe you guys have some suggestions for me but the Internet Explorer content settings are a joke. I just end up having to type my password in every five minutes because no websites use it.
    there are parental blockers that are available. The only problem with a universal system would be enforcement. How the heck are you going to force some site in some east european country to use the rating system?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I understand that. I don't want it enforced, just universally accepted... how that might happen, I have no idea.

Actually I just had an Idea. What if I set the homepage to google and configured the Google search prefrences to safe content and locked out the address bar... so they can just use Google to surf. That might work.

I don't need it like Fort Knox, I am not just putting my kid on the computer and ignoring them for 5 hours... yet anyways
    Last edited by admedia; 06-17-2005 at 05:26 PM.

imagination through stupidity
    what happened to the internet privacy act? http://www.epic.org/privacy/internet/hr_98.html
    Nothing to see here, move along.