A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: life insurance

life insurance

anyone have any recomendations for/finding good life insurance?

I personally have 4 times my annual salary through State Farm... I don't know if that's unusually high or unusually low, but hopefully if I die, my wife will be taken care of for a while.

i dont know anything about it. this site: https://www.intelliquote.com/ says 15 times is average!

Well, when I bought that insurance, it was a much different ratio, but I still had no idea 1M policy for me runs about $50/month so I should probably increase it at least that high...

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    My credit card company was kind enough to take out a policy on my life so that if I die they will get paid.....

If I die, the tapes go to the press.

Best life insurance policy around.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by random_fool
    Well, when I bought that insurance, it was a much different ratio, but I still had no idea 1M policy for me runs about $50/month so I should probably increase it at least that high...
    A policy for US$1 million runs US$50/month?

See, this just does not make sense.

Auto insurers work on the idea that you won't make a claim and so they keep hold of your cash. But that principal is blown with life insurance as inevitably, all policy holders will end up making a claim. If you're paying US$50/month, even if you live to be 200 that's only +/-US$120,000, so how can they afford to be handing out a million to every bereved relative?
    Last edited by hurricaneone; 06-17-2005 at 04:42 PM.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

The policy is good for a given term - if I don't die (and being that I'm a 24 male who doesn't smoke, is married, and is in good health, I probably won't) during the term, then they don't pay anything...

Ah, term life.

But you must be planning on extending that policy to cover the eventuality of your death which will then mean they're making a payout well above the total of what you paid in.

Yes, I do understand the idea of 1o million insured paying US$50/month allows payments of US$1 million to be paid out, but eventually, the insurance company is going to fall behind.

I realize that the companies are not in this gig to make a loss, so there's something here that I'm not twigging onto.

well there will always be new people joining(they hope) and payingfor when this generation dies so they will have their payments to pay for all this generations payouts
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneone
    Ah, term life.

But you must be planning on extending that policy to cover the eventuality of your death which will then mean they're making a payout well above the total of what you paid in.

Yes, I do understand the idea of 1o million insured paying US$50/month allows payments of US$1 million to be paid out, but eventually, the insurance company is going to fall behind.

I realize that the companies are not in this gig to make a loss, so there's something here that I'm not twigging onto.
    with the money you pay, they invest it in the black market, buying and selling drugs and weapons, so they make far more money than you could imagine, then when it's time to pay you back, it's just pocket money for them.

For real, I guess they invest the money they get into different other firms and markets, so it's not like they are hiding the money under their matresses, their are making money with your money....then you die, the give the money back, with interests, but they've already made even more money.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    For real, I guess they invest the money they get into different other firms and markets, so it's not like they are hiding the money under their matresses, their are making money with your money....then you die, the give the money back, with interests, but they've already made even more money.
    Good point.

I hate insurance.

My dad... who is a pretty smart business guy always hated life insurance.
    I guess he just thought investing the money himself is wiser.
    He's done well with it.

yep. just got off the phone with an insurance guy. they make most of the money by investing peoples premiums. a few of the larger carriers even have a new type of policy called Return of Premium (ROP). So, if you die before the term is up, your family gets the benefit. If you live past the term, you get ALL of the money back that you paid! You have to figure, 10% gains on a million peoples 70/month payment has got to be huge.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneone
    A policy for US$1 million runs US$50/month?

See, this just does not make sense.

Auto insurers work on the idea that you won't make a claim and so they keep hold of your cash. But that principal is blown with life insurance as inevitably, all policy holders will end up making a claim. If you're paying US$50/month, even if you live to be 200 that's only +/-US$120,000, so how can they afford to be handing out a million to every bereved relative?
    you're also forgetting about compound interest.

A 10 year investment with monthly compound interest at 5% yields a nice 64.83%.

Most of those companies are probably earning more than 5% as well.

Last edited by Naked inc.; 06-20-2005 at 09:36 PM.

The best life insurance is called a "pre-nup"

http://www.oneshopinsurance.com they'll find you affordable and reliable insurance from companies. great deal for finding quotes.