dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Similar Myriad Pro Font for Flash?

Similar Myriad Pro Font for Flash?

Is there a font that looks similar to Myriad Pro or Helvetica and actually resembles what it looks like in Photoshop when it is embedded into a Flash movie? I'm trying to find a nice smooth antialias 10px text that's pretty smooth and sharp. I'd prefer not to use pixel fonts.

Umm Arial.

You can't have it both ways. Either the font is a bitmap or it's a vector.
    Vectors will have aliasing issues when you constrain them in a bitmap program.
    pixel fonts are still vector fonts however they are designed to work well at only the
    specified font intended.
    If clarity is that much an issue and you still demand it have the same imaging as in a photo editor then I would advise you create your text in an image editor then import the image into flash.

Elsewise you could always use a device font _sans is the same as Arial on pc's and Helvetic on mac

very interested in this topic.

frets, could you elaborate on your explanation a bit more? are you saying that some fonts are intrinsically going to display more poorly than others in Flash. even if the font is embedded fully in the file? i was under the impression that all fonts were just scalable until you rendered them as bitmaps, and that an application like Flash would just scale it all as if postscript, finally rendering it as accurately as screen resolution would allow.

this isn't the case?

much thanks, if you can clear this up for me.
    :: scott ::

Pixel/bitmap fonts are more suitable for screen display, while 'regular' fonts work best for printing purposes.

See this thread for more information:
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=482646

Thanks. This helps a lot.
    :: scott ::

Myriad Pro works great in Photoshop. To get it to look good at a small size in PS, make sure the anti-aliasing option is set to "smooth." Also, the stronger the contrast between the text color and the color of the backgroun you put it on, the better it will look at a small size. Then you just save the text layer as a PNG with a transparent backgroun, and don't forget to add the 2-pixel wide transparent border so Flash Player doesn't screw up your text at runtime. I use Myriad Pro all over my site, works like a charm.