A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: programming jobs losing luster in US?

programming jobs losing luster in US?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=862495

talk about stretching the story. being a competent consultant includes having real working experience with the subject. the interviewee is talking about being a marketing consultant if you ask me.

While I agree with you that competent consultancy requres working experience, It doesn't negate the fact that indeed programmers are dwindling in the United States do to competion from abroad. When the dot com bubble burst Thousands of highly competent programmers were sent packing back to thier respective countries of origin.
    Programming itself didn't die out but The financial security and stability of it did in the U.S. Most in house programmers were farmed out to other companies whom which promply gave them the axe and replaced them with offshore programmers.

My Brother in law who has been a programmer/consultant since the late 70's experinced this as did the team of programmers he worked side by side with for several years.

interesting. i haven't seen any data that indicates programming is dwindling and have experienced the opposite personally. i would be curious to see any links you might have or what supports the dwindling? i couldn't find anything.

outsourcing programming, if it is actually in significant numbers, will suffer the same fate as outsourcing customer service.

will suffer the same fate as outsourcing customer service
    What fate was that? Last I heard, it was on the rise. In fact, the last 4 times I've called customer support for anything, I was talking to a guy in India.

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    What fate was that? Last I heard, it was on the rise. In fact, the last 4 times I've called customer support for anything, I was talking to a guy in India.
    i read a number of articles that said that many of the major companies doing this stopped due to customer backlash.

OK, you know me for what I am, and I'm as shocked as anyone when I say this, but the best service I've had from any call in support was talking to people in India.

They were friendly, they KNEW what they were doing, and, blow me down, but they actually got me up and running.

The down side was, they had no sense of humor, to balance that, they did tell me what the weather was like there.

So I guess the article writer never talked to me. But I'm not surprised about backlash, given what the US school system is pumping out.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 06-20-2005 at 03:51 AM.

"If you're only interested in deep coding and you want to remain in your cubicle all day, there are a shrinking number of jobs for you," said Diane Morello, Gartner vice president of research. "Employers are starting to want versatilists -- people who have deep experience with enterprise-wide applications and can parlay it into some larger cross-company projects out there.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/biztech/06/20/techjobdecline.ap/index.html"
    i think this is the case nowadays. the last 3 jobs I have had i was required to 'specialize' in about 3 or 4 areas versus just doing one thing all day everyday.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

true. but usually the skills are related. would that disqualify them as being 'programming jobs'?

well, i'm planning in opening an outsource firm for actionscript and flash and html and css work over there in ecuador, to work with people in the states :P is that so bad?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    well, i'm planning in opening an outsource firm for actionscript and flash and html and css work over there in ecuador, to work with people in the states :P is that so bad?
    not to me. go for it and good luck!

i just thought that the article took some generic and sparse information to draw their conclusion about the climate here.
    Last edited by indivision; 06-21-2005 at 02:40 AM.

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that a talented programmer can get a well paying job very quickly. I personally know of two openings that are still accepting applications...

Quote Originally Posted by random_fool
    Everything I've seen seems to indicate that a talented programmer can get a well paying job very quickly. I personally know of two openings that are still accepting applications...
    maybe its a regional thing. ive seen the same thing. i could place any competent programmer in a good job within a week right now. i've also noticed a drastic rise in demand for programming in the last 6-8 months.