A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Friggin' preloader

Friggin' preloader

Okay. I'm not a professional flash developer, but I've been using flash for several years, and I have a pretty good grip on ActionScript, etc. ...

I have never, ever, ever gotten a preloader to work. I've tried several that were premade, and I've attempted to make my own. I've tried preloaders that use getBytesLoaded() and getBytesTotal() methods. I've tried preloaders that use ifFrameLoaded("end") {gotoAndPlay("start")} methods.

Nothing. And it's always the same thing that happens: The entire movie loads while the screen is blank, then the movie plays, merely flashing the preloader for about 1/12 of a second while the frame or frames containing the loader go by.

I realize I'm being sort of vague by not posting exactly the script that I'm using, but being that I always get the same result, I'm wondering if the problem isn't something simple that I'm missing of just ignorant of. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've seen most of the tutorials on preloaders, so unless you have a really, really good one to offer, that isn't necessarily going to help.

Thanks in advance.

I found one that seems to work great for me. Just copy and paste it in the first keyframe of any fla. Make sure all other frames are blank that are in the first spot. Just kick the content of the project over a couple frames.

This loader was found on this site but I can't for the life of me find who made it. Giving credit to the unnamed person. :P

http://www.enolamron.com/stuff/Test_...les/loader.fla

It does the same thing. Even when I test the movie in flash, and show streaming with bandwidth profiler, it shows that it is loading all the bytes of the movie without ever entering the first frame.

I have nothing in the same frame as the loader.

Are you testing on your system? The movie is going to load instant on your pc so you wont even notice the loader. Upload it and then try it.

Alas ... I have uploaded it. And when I test in on my system, I use flashes show streaming set at 56K.

climbing shoots and ladders feigner's Avatar
    I dont know if you're aware of this or not but I figure better to check... when I test on my system and in Flash when I press Control>Enter to test the movie, regardless of what debug setting it is on (the show streaming setting) Flash always plays the movie without the stream. In order to get it to show the movie streaming I have to press Control>Enter again. So basically I just press Control>Enter twice in a row and it works for me. Hope I was some help.
    FEIGNER
    Before you post, do you search?

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of that. I actually I just figured out that when I stream it, it loads 80% of the movie without playing even the first frame. This is the whole problem, because it behaves the same way when I upload it to the server and run it from there.

Why won't the movie begin playing until 80% of the bytes are loaded? That is my question, and it's one that I haven't figured out for years.
    Last edited by The Public; 06-26-2005 at 06:28 PM.