dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can i get some help on making this Menu?

Can i get some help on making this Menu?

Hello All,

This is my first post.. to the introduction: I am a student that lives in switzerland. Im 21 years of age, and a lover of all things design. Im slowly working my way into the world of flash. So in other words, yes, im a newbie...

I was working on a new website, and i came accross this menu on: http://www.johnathanrice.com/ I love the way you can click navigate, and the menu scrolls in like that. I was wondering if anyone could help me, or tell me what i needed to do to make it work.

So far i have the symbols (buttons) done and have some code on the navigate button making the others scroll in.

on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay(1);
    }

right now, it doesnt stop at the end of scene 1. scene 1 being the scrolling out. and scene 2 for scrolling in. Im not sure how to code it, so that with one click, it scrolls out and stops. and on the other click, it scrolls out again. Has anyone done something like this or can point me in the right direction.

On a side note, i downloaded a couple of menus in the movies section of the site (a great resource btw.) and i could find anything like this.. on some of the menus, i found on the timeline next to the little a that symbolizes action script a little red flag on some peoples code. what is that good for? was just curious what that little red flag meant

any help would be really appreciated!

Greetings
    Michael

Welcome to Flashkit!!! You should find all your answers on this site.

//Layer 1 Frame 1
    Stop();

//Layer 2 Frame 1
    Have your Menu Button

// Button Code Frame1
    on(release){
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

//Layer 3 Frame 2
    Here is where you want to start your Motion Tween on moving your Menu Out.
    Lets say your tween gos from Frame 2 to Frame 12

//Layer 1 Frame 12
    insert a blank keyframe then in your actionscript window add Stop();

And the little "Red Flag" is a Frame Label - to Add a frame label - insert a blank keyframe in your timeline - in the properties window add an instance name to your blank keyframe (Exapmle: MenuOut)

I hope this helps you if you need more help - just PM me.

hey wattsup wattsup!!

(sorry i couldnt resist..)

Im not quite sure what you mean by the post, but since the boss gave me some work i havent tried out what you recommended.. Plus its friday, so ill be looking into it again on monday.. Ill get back 2 you then, if its still not clear!

Thanks for the speedy reply!
    and for welcoming me into the community!
    lets all hug ( )

M

If you need more help with your .fla just post it and you will get results! Rgr good luck and have a good weekend

Hey Wattsup

I guess i got what you meant.. This is what i have so far..
    Now all i have to do, is that if you click on navigate again, it scrolls back in.
    Im guessing there is somesort of actionscript function with a "goto" scene 2 feature or something like that.. Heres the FLA file so you can see what im talking about
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

I reworked your .fla see if this is what you wanted. PM me if you need more help - I did it all with one screne

weird... for somer reason i cant open it..
    said its a unexpected file format?

Mike

what Version of Flash you have? Here is the Flash MX version

I have MX, so thanks, it worked this time! : - )
    it looks really nice thanks for the help.. When i test it on the normal Mode, it plays through the whole thing..
    But when i go to "test film" it waits for the second click until it scrolls back in. How did you do that?
    And the layer "labels" doesnt serve a purpose does it? Its just there as commentary for the flash programmer right?
    hopefully you understand what im asking here.. The flash i use is in German, so its hard to explain what all the buttons and menus are called...
    Greetings!
    Mike

Glad I could help you.

1) Yes, "Label" is just for a reference for you. So you can see in the timeline whats going on.

2) If you look at the code - Frame 1 and Frame 24 has stop()'s in the actionscript. Then on your button I have

Code:
    on(release){
       play();
    }
    Now when you press your button on Frame 1 it plays to Frame 24 (to move the menu out) , Now when you press button again on Frame 24 it plays to frame 45.

I hope this helps.

alrighty, explained very well, i get it.. so there is nothing special you need to do.. I automatically plays from where it left off, providing its not at the end of the timeline.. Thats all i wanted to know that you!
    Greetings
    Mike
    ps:ill probably be back for more help in another thread! : - )

come back anytime if you need help... or PM me anytime for help.. Good Luck with your project