A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple rumor...?

Do not let my words turn this thread into another apple/PC debate
    My PC atm came with two FPD's and still came in under $1200 plus it smokes the water-cooled G5's in the room. You could buy a PC and Creative Suite for less than a new mac. I wonder if the new procs/architechture will allow apple to build out of a cheaper hardware pool and thus bring the price down to compete with the PC market. I'd have a new G5 in no time if that were the case.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    If apple is making such huge leap towards the PC architecture, wouldn't you be behooved to check out what they spending so much effort trying to become?
    Much of the inside of an apple, apart from the cpu and motherboard is the same as a p.c. It is the OS that is the big difference. I guess they will either have something like a hardware key to ensure the OS only runs on Apple pc parts, or they will have something like Apple certified pc parts.

Just my guess.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

skitten: if you're fine with your current mac software, already have a usb keyboard/mouse and a monitor, and are comfortable with just going with the mini (which it sounds like you are) I see no reason why you should spend a lot of money switching to a PC and buying new software?

Of course if you plan to buy new software anyway within the next 2-3 months it may be worth the consideration and comparison.

FWIW ... I have a 1ghz PowerBook G4 I use at work and it seems to run CS2 and MX 2004 almost as fast as my newer pc build at home. Sure there is some lag, but it's tolerable.

BTW, the basic version of CS2 (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) runs $900 us I believe (at least that's what I paid for it when it was released). Depending on what version you're currently running you may be a candidate for an upgrade version as well. Something to check into at least.

This is all just fueling my Mac lust.

Damn yous all.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

skitten78, if you're planning to buy a mini, wait a bit. There's a rumour that Apple is going to release an updated Mac mini next week.

I've heard this buzz about apple's switch to intel chips but I havn't had time to read into it very much. You say that it's going to start with the mac minies but does that mean they're going to eventually outfit every mac with an intel chip? even the G5 or perhaps soon to be G6? If so, geez I wonder what that'll do to the hardcore mac fans who have spent the last 5 years swearing and cursing to hell anyone who hinted at Intel's chip superiority. As for your question to buy a mac now or wait a year - buy it now. if the new chips were next week that would be different but personally I like to upgrade every year or two anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by clicky2
    skitten: if you're fine with your current mac software, already have a usb keyboard/mouse and a monitor, and are comfortable with just going with the mini (which it sounds like you are) I see no reason why you should spend a lot of money switching to a PC and buying new software?

BTW, the basic version of CS2 (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) runs $900 us I believe (at least that's what I paid for it when it was released). Depending on what version you're currently running you may be a candidate for an upgrade version as well. Something to check into at least.
    Hey thanks- I looked on adobe.com and it said something like $1999 but i think that was acrobat and some video software and other stuff i never use. i didn't see the basic version anywhere, but that isn't bad at all.

jAQUAN- i didn't really want it to turn into a "Debate" either- but i did want to hear both sides and take it in to decide what would be best for my needs

it is true, i have the monitor and keyboard and mouse (tho the keyboard is that tiny POS that came with the g4's that they replaced within a few months cause everyone hated it- i kept mine, bleh). i have that teeny tiny mouse too but it's the only mouse that doesn't bother my hand at all so i still use it. the "normal" mice (mouses?) hurt my hand after a few hours.

gesteves- thanks for the info. i will probably buy within the next month some time, so no rush for me!
    sizzamn
    maybe one day i will finish my page
    "You can't be let down if you don't expect the world" -Nick Hexum