A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to target movie under another movie on timeline

How to target movie under another movie on timeline

xxx

I have a small problem that I'm sure has a simple solution but hell if I can figure it out. Maybe I've been looking at it to long.

I have a movie that has four layers each layer is for a different part of a building (roof, siding, trim, wainescoat). I have four buttons on my top most layer, each targeting a section of the house. I am unable to get the buttons under the top layer (ie: roof) to play (ie: siding).

What should happen is that I click on the button "roof" then a color menu appears and allows me to change the color of the roof by hitting a piticular color. Then, I can click on another button, lets say "siding" then I can use that color menu to change the color of the siding while still being able to view the color change of of the roof.

If there is a way to do this that maybe I'm not doing or any advise on how to make this work please let me know.

Thanks

If I understand correctly, a simple way to do it would be to create a movieclip for each part of the house (which can be placed on a separate layer like you're already doing).
    In each movie clip, let's use the wall as an example, create the first frame(s) to look how you want it to look in its default state. Make another frame for the first colour change, another for the second colour change, and so on.
    Repeat this for each movie clip/part of the house.
    Then the colour menu for, say, the wall can jump to the relevant frame in the wall's movieclip.

I'd explain how but I'm not that smart, I'm afraid But maybe this is enough of a clue to find the relevant tutorials for it. I'm actually looking for something like that myself right now, hence being here...