A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Beta] Pin It Up!

trashtalkthedollar.com

[Beta] Pin It Up!

So, I've created a little something for everyone. It's a Flash based bulletin board that allows people to post any message they like, anonymously.

There's a lotta different things we have planned for it, but you can check out the basic engine in the beta version on http://pinitup.net

Tell me what you guys think!

Quote Originally Posted by Viza
    Use all of renders ideas, and the game could be kickass

The Cheeze to Your Macaroni ColbyCheeze's Avatar
    Hey that is too cool! Great job. You should create support for individual and group boards so that you can have like a company-wide pinup board. I think this idea has some great potential!

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Thanks for the positive feedback

We're actually planning on allowing advertisers to purchase up blocks of space on the board. As far as individual boards, we're planning on developing a Facebook app for it where people will be able to host their own personal board on their Facebook Home pages.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback, it's very encouraging to know other people out there find this idea interesting as well. I'll keep you all posted as we release more features and improve the interface. Post your comments and critiques here please! It will help tremendously in the development process

Jonny

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Haha, I just found your note cheeze. I like that! That's one of the main types of posts we're expecting a lot of people to use this board for. Now, assuming we were drawing in decent traffic, would you pay a small sum of money to be able to create your own customized flier, graphics, colored paper, etc. and post it up on the board as a full-fledged advertisement?

I left a note up there for you to find.

Btw, it's pretty laggy when scrolling. Are the graphics bitmaps?

Viza.

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Hmm, they're pngs... it's probably a bad idea, but achieves an effect I really want to keep.

Do you think caching em as bitmaps will speed it up?

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Really neat idea. The closest I've seen to this is a fridge-magnet board, but that wasn't as practical.

Bitmap caching will speed things up , but be careful with it.. it can take a lot of memory, and simply stop working when it runs out.

I think the text rendering might slow things down.. you might want to try writing the text to a bitmap so it doesn't have to keep rendering it as its being moved about.

Working hyperlinks in messages would be good as well, thought totally open to abuse :-)

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Hmm, caching the text may be a good idea. I'll try that. Working links is actually on the menu, though I think we're going to be charging for that kind of service; sell board space as advertisements

Also, it look like you're dealing with many objects on the board, when you could be playing with just one bitmap data object - which will be a lot faster as long as it doesn't get too big.

looks cool, nice idea!

interesting to see where the project goes

I think you really need to fix the dragging - I found it very unintuitive, maybe a click and drag method like the iPhone interface or google maps would be more effective

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Done a little bit of polishing and added a new feature that allows you to read notes that have been posted over...

Help us out and digg it! http://digg.com/people/PinItUp_net_A..._Board_Posting

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Also, it look like you're dealing with many objects on the board, when you could be playing with just one bitmap data object - which will be a lot faster as long as it doesn't get too big.
    if I did this, would it allow me to manipulate individual notes like I do now with the hover effect?

and to achieve this would I just draw each note mc to a BitmapData object?

also -- behold, font color customization!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyblazedx
    if I did this, would it allow me to manipulate individual notes like I do now with the hover effect?

and to achieve this would I just draw each note mc to a BitmapData object?
    Hmm, maybe not, or at least it wouldn't be straighforward.... it seems to be running plenty faster now than it was anyway.

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Hey guys! Just wanted to keep you posted: I've now implemented both font and paper colorization and I've vectorized the graphics for the notes.. It was the easiest way to manage changing the color for the notes, but it also increases the speed of the movie (less lag when scrolling around).

You can also scroll around the board with your keyboard now too! Give it a try

Thanks guys, I look forward to your feedback.