A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How can I make "online multiplayer games"?

How can I make "online multiplayer games"?

Yeh, its me again. I was just wondering if you could explain to me how to make an online multiplayer game, kinda like that one that someone made with the darts. A key thing I'd like to know is how to make a "lobby" and search for players in the lobby. Thanks a lot guys.
    BC

I don't think thats possible in 3DFA, sorry. Plus you need a special server I think.

No, actually it CAN be done, as long as you send out of the SWF in some way to something like ASP, .NET, PHP or the like. Morgan (whose forum name is [literally] ForumNewbie) has an example on his website but I would recommend arranging for a test session with someone because it doesn't receive a lot of hits.

If you're in a hurry to get there, I've included the link:
    http://www.morgan-multinational.com/darts_4-5.htm
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

I always answer this kind of post with

"with Lots of hard work and patience"

{//beging rant

Sorry I'm just tired of the how do I make a <insert genre here> game questions.

Learn the basics of the program, figure out how to make ANYTHING. Get stuck? Ask a question about the specific problem. Work it out (thats how I learned to do most everything in 3dfa.. trial and error). Build on what you learn and take steps toward the goal of your masterpiece game, because no one is going to just do the work for you.

}//end rant

well i can make games pretty well im just currently exploring online person to person gaming, but to tell you the truth i have no idea where to begin. Yes i am aware of morgans game,thats where i got the idea. By any chance could morgan (forumnewbie) let me borrow the 3dfa version of that game so i can take it apart and look at it??? I know its hard to give up programs you have worked hard on but it would really help me. Thanks.
    BC

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar

Darts, Chess and all things Multiplayer

Oooo.

Hello. I've been away for a little while, but am always excited to get feedback on the games!

After 8 years project managing, I'm about to quit my day job and you'll probably see me touting for business on here very soon, so the more interest the better

In fact, the darts game is probably not very well written, as it was my first attempt, and there are so many attached files that it would confuse the hell out of you.

I'll send you a copy of a Chess game that I'd been working on instead. It's a bit easier to follow, although only 70% complete. If anyone wants to play the Chess Game , it's a bit better to play because you just log on and take your move when you have time, and doesn't need both players to be around at the same time. I think it e-mails you when it's your move as well, but there was a bug there somewhere.

Also, the advantage of the chess game is that it uses a username/password combination for identification of players, where the darts game used IP address. The IP address method didn't work too well, as people kept dropping out mid game, and they would then get locked out of their game

I did post somewhere a powerpoint slide explaining how the database interactions work, but I'm not sure how helpful it is. Have a search and see what you can find.

Also, search for my SQL engine postings. If you are able to get that working with a PHP/mySQL set-up, to submit SQL statements and interpret results, you're halfway there, and you just need imagination and experience from there.

But - As Blanius suggests, attempting a multiplayer game isn't for the faint-hearted. I used proper change control on the Chess game, and I was up to version 74 by the time I got bored, and thought it would be best to spend my time on stuff that puts a roof over my head.

In all seriousness though, if you have a fairly well defined game concept that you need someone to help with, and can help me with my imminent increase in leisure time and decrease in salary, I could build an engine for you.

Expected date of freedom: Mid October, and counting down the days !

Morgan.

FYI - I had a play with Flash Communication server, which is how the professionals would do multiplayer games. You couldn't really use the FlashCom server with 3DFA. Also, it crashed my PC every 30 minutes, so I actually prefer PHP/mySQL as the backend. It's just a shame you can't use webcams, microphones and that kind of thing without the Flashcom server.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

PS - Does anyone know if I can change my name, since ForumNewbie seems a bit naff now I've been here 2 years

Seemed like a good idea when I first arrived !

PPS - The Chess game has a kind of a 'lobby' concept. I call it the waiting room. It could do with some tweaks, but allows you to put your name down for a game, and the next person picks you and takes the first move.

(If you have 2 e-mail addresses, play against yourself in 2 windows to practice. If not, place yourself in the waiting room, and I'll look out for players in the next few days).

PPPS - You'll get no spam from the site except for messages when your opponent moves.
    Last edited by ForumNewbie; 07-08-2005 at 07:13 PM.

Looks like the e-mail warning when your opponent moves has stopped working because someone has tightened up the network to prevent mail spoofing. I'll see if I can get that sorted, as it's the key to making it playable.

M.

PS - Another thought. Unlike Darts, you can play up to 6 Chess games simultaneously. Again, it improves the playability.

question

hmm by the way your describing your chess and darts games, it sounds a lot like the online games on candystand.com with the loby concept. Well, on candystand.com these games had a lot of lag and freeze ups, has your games ever had these problems? just wondering.

thanks

Interface Issues

Hi Sonic,

Regarding lag and freezing, yes, I had loads of problems with that. With patience, I tracked down almost all of the reasons, and put error checking routines in the script to prevent them. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of things that can go wrong, so I haven't got them all.

For example, it's hard to catch if someone just loses internet connectivity or if their PC crashes. To get round that, each connected session polled the database once every 30 seconds. If no message was seen for 3 minutes, the game has to assume the other player has left, and award it to the remaining player.

Browsing to another screen is another problem. That called for javascript on the html page so that the database gets updated with an 'onexit' type script, and the opponent can be advised sooner.

Every bug can be programmed around, but as I say, it takes a lot of patience!

Morgan

hey sorry for not being on for awhile, I was in flordia until now. But anyway morgan I am very interested in looking at the chess game you mentioned. Would you send me the files at wolfsrein77@aol.com? If you would to give them to me in another way just say so. thanks.
    BC