A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translating your games

Ringmania & Translating your games

Hi,
    A couple of weeks ago I stopped the game I was developping because I came into a nice idea and started to develop a website of translation. Its concept is to translate a few words in your language to get translation you need. It has been online for 5 days so there aren't many members but I thought that It could be useful to translate the short texts of our games. here it is www.cucumis.org .
    Now the website is up and running, I'm very glad to go back to my game because it took 2 months of hard work .
    Last edited by Sietjp; 05-10-2006 at 08:07 PM.

What makes this difference to a service where you don't register such as babelfish?

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Quote Originally Posted by cucumis.org
    To use the Cucumis services, you must be a registered member, you gain points when you translate a text and you need points to submit a text to be translated. Cucumis will be useful to you only when you speak at least one foreign language.
    So I guess it's different from babelfish and the google translater because it's translated by humans, not a computer.

Nice idea, unfortunately I'll never be able to use it because I don't know any other languages, but really a game should be able to be played without being able to read anything...I think so anyways.

~MD

Yes you're right MD, for the both points

I think its a good idea... oh there's a search function..., I know English and German and Russian but I can't spell in Russian, but I can talk fluently and understand all of it... I read sorta, so I could translate from Russian into English or German...
    Last edited by Xploder; 07-15-2005 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks a lot Xploder, as the website is brand new, google only know the frst page and there aren't many visitors. The only translations available are those for the website itself. Unfortunately german and english are nearly translated. Maybe you can help later when there are more translations to do. I will soon add new texts (FAQ) to be translated in german, maybe you can help for those texts too.

there's a word there like 'other' but in russian other can have a gender or can be general, what should I do in such cases?

I've replied to you in PM

Is it possible to fix an error in the translation? I've found an error on the main page of the german site.

When you are "expert" or "admin" you can make it yourself for now I will do it for you. Send me the text to correct (by email or PM not to spam this forum) .

Quote Originally Posted by Sietjp
    Now the website is up and running, I'm very glad to go back to my game because it took 2 months of hard work .
    And now this is the game I promised, called Ringmania. I hope you will like it. Every coment is welcome!

http://www.pepere.org/flash-developm...ania_u_25.html

My comments :
    The engine was quite hard to develop but it's a great pleasure to make the levels.
    I'm not totally satisfied about my work and maybe some of you will tell me why .

complete newbie
    C'est magnifique ..

great game.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    I didn't play for too long but enough to see it add rings on the inside of the outer sphere...eeh, sounds wrong but you know what I mean I like it! I like the concept. Spice it up in like a Mayan or Aztec graphics theme, and speed it up a bit. Also (if it's not there in the later levels) make the rings appear from more than one place. That would also make it harder! Overall I like it a lot
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Great game really like the movement of the rings. Ive seen similar concepts before, but i really enjoyed it. Great work.

Ali

Its wonderful game, but first 2 levels are way too easy. It only gets interesting from level 3.

I also found a bug: 1 ring was left on my screen which did not move anywhere, not falling in the center and not rotating.

I wish there would be little arrow or something showing where next ring is coming from. In stages with multiple directions it helps a lot.

I love the Demo mode, really great to see how other people play

Thanks all for this comments!

Quote Originally Posted by tonypa
    I also found a bug: 1 ring was left on my screen which did not move anywhere, not falling in the center and not rotating.

I wish there would be little arrow or something showing where next ring is coming from. In stages with multiple directions it helps a lot.
    I've seen this bug once, I don't know how it can happens. I wait for a replay showing this bug to correct it because for now I can't understand when it happens.

Arrows showing direction, is a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by phreax
    it add rings on the inside of the outer sphere
    I'm not sure to understand what you mean (my english..) You mean the falling rings are created out of the main circle? If it's this meaning, I don't see what other solution I could use?

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    It wasn't a bug...just stating that one of the ways you are making it more difficult is by letting the outer sphere close in on you once in a while, right?
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

OK I understand now, phreax, you re right it's one of the way to make the game more difficult. The oother is the levels tehmselves and the number of simultaneous falling rings .

TonyPa, I've added the little arrows for you
    And I think I've corrected the bug you saw too...

I love my little arrows

Now I have couple more suggestions:
    *please make whole game a square. I dont see why you chose rectangular stage for game about circle.
    *please stop feeding colors that dont exist on the board anymore. It is boring to wait the level to finish when you only have 2 colors left and they both keep coming forever. It has nothing to do with skill and can make players leave early.
    *it wasnt clear to me that multicolored rings cant be removed. I thought they go with every color and make my life easier.
    *I didnt see any reason for the bigger multicolored circle in the center of game. First I tried to build same colored rings on each sector. Maybe it would be better to make that pure white/black or whatever color not used by rings or make it actually work. For example eploding rings of same color on the sector would give you double points.
    *two greens are too similar, please make the colors more different

I've corrected the 1st and the 3 last points. For the second one, I need to cancel and delete all replays and scores, I've already done that once but I will think about doing this because player are working hard to be the best .