A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [beta] climber

Junior Senior

[beta] climber

this one is just about done.
    comments and crits welcome.
    http://www.bytesbyslight.com/test/climber/

i should mention it takes about 1/2 an hour to finish the first time through.
    Last edited by slight; 07-18-2005 at 09:43 PM.
    Signature

Razor
    Nice game, great original idea, I like the graphics. No complaints its really well done.

Dude that is soo awesome. That was done really well. No complaints
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice, Very nice work....The art is really easy on the eyes.
    Man, I need a new signature.

Very nice. I love it Beautiful, simple, crazy concept. A classic now

[edit]
    "my other plane is a fokker"
    haha !!
    Right on, i'm spidey now
    77 minutes to complete... where is my lightsaber for those yetis ?
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Hasufel; 07-19-2005 at 01:56 AM.
    Bubble Islands - Your arcade puzzle game !
    Dot-invasion Team
    Tales from the code front: stimunation developers blog
    Puzzle Bobble - The arcade port!
    2iceMP framework - Flash Multiuser Server: multiplayer tetris, chess, othello, connect4 ...
    Frozen Bubble - shoot da bubbles!
    The Pi Game - game for geeks

Very nice game, interesting idea, plays well and looks good too

You asked for critics, here you go:

Some of the boulders appeared from nowhere. Well, from some dark place actually, but they cant fit through it so it looks strange. Cant they all fall from above?

Sometimes the collision with boulders hit the climber way away. There is clearly space between them, but they keep dragging him down.

If you let all the keys free after climbing, the climber can still have very-very slight movement left. So, you dont press any keys and he keeps slowly sliding on. Maybe you could check if the movement is less then some small amount it would be reset to 0 to avoid this.

When you fall off, the boulders disappear before falling animation starts. Stones cant disappear in the air. Why not keep them until new animation kicks in?

The nails in the boots (dunno what they are called, spiky things) look very much like some rubbish left in the graphics. Do they have to be white? I understand they are intentionally drawn, but when I looked at the game, my first reaction was "oh, look, he has left some white pixels unleared in the boots!" Maybe you could use black or some shade of grey there.

P.S. You finished it in 5 minutes!? It took me 32 minutes and Im all tired now.
    Last edited by tonypa; 07-19-2005 at 03:11 AM.

nice concept and well executed great game
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

very nice game i like the movements on the climber very well done im not sure i agree with tonypa the spiky things on his boots looks like spiky things on his boots ( there supose to right ?) in my opinion.

if you detailed the background graphics a bit more i think this game could be a winner
    great game
    - - - - - - - -

that was fun. (although i didn't finish it and quit after level 3)

all things i would have to complain have been said by tonypa.

nGFX

Nice man

I love it, nothing more to say everyone else said it :P. Just wanted to drop a post on my return to flashkit man its been like 2 yrs ive missed so much. Keep it up.
    A young mind is more knowledgable then a mind corrupted and blinded by society.

Portfolio: My Portfolio
    FFGuardians:PHP MMORPG(Closed Beta)
    PyroWare Studios:PyroWare Studios-Flash&Web Development

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Very very nice game graphics are smooth, and the game is fun. im stuck on level 2 at the moment...theres nowhere to go!!. Great job.

Ali

Very cool game.

My one problem with it is that on the first level I was climbing above the flag and I fell off, I continued to fall and fall, then I hit the flag and completed the level, I dont think you should be able to complete a level if you are falling.

Other than that no problems at all.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Quote Originally Posted by alillm
    Very very nice game graphics are smooth, and the game is fun. im stuck on level 2 at the moment...theres nowhere to go!!. Great job.

Ali
    Hold the SHIFT key down to reach over the gaps.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Yea, thanks Tonypa, i worked it out w while after posting, but thanks anyway .

Ali

Great game... good idea... and it looks good... and feels good...

Some minor crits in the looks ( beside the points mentioned by Tonya ) - like the metalic contnue buttons - seem out of place - same as the chrome shiny logo. Something more rocky would match the game better imho.

Same goes with the fonts - why use a typerwriter with the buttons and the highscore ? Stick to the comic font and a nonserif for longer text ( eg. the one used for the copyright notice or the helpfile ). Less is more when it comes to fonts. To me it looks like these typewriter elements are relicts from earlier versions.

Also the blue bar in the game is a waste of space - just to have the timer and the levelcode in there you don't need a bar covering the whole screen. It lacks imagination.

Enough of that... Good game... Well done...

Junior Senior
    Wow, thanks everyone.

Daydream those are good points and you are absolutely correct, the blue bar and typewriter font are both relics of another version. the blue bar nicely balanced a logo which has been removed, but I can probably lose the level code as well since the codes are now in the checkpoint screens. I'm still weeding out the old fonts and colour scheme, but dont really know of a decent sans serif font to replace the courier with that is fixed width.

Tonypa, most of what you mention is either intentional or the way it is for some reason. Spikes are that way so they can be seen over every backbround colour, rocks disappear early so falling doesnt take as long... those sort of things... you've given me some good things to think about though, thanks. Might be able to fix a couple of things where I had compromised.

A funny thing about the rocks coming from nowhere... A friend I showed it to said, "What is the deal with rocks coming out of the sky? Rocks dont just appear out of the sky!" Heh, it's true what they say about pleasing all of the people all of the time.
    Signature

I liked the game a lot to, and I would give it my highest recommendation, but I do suggest a little "quick action" mode, because a lot of people arent interested in spending 30 minutes at a time on a flash game. GREAT job though. 9/10
    My Music

Click it.

I liked the game a lot to, and I would give it my highest recommendation, but I do suggest a little "quick action" mode, because a lot of people arent interested in spending 30 minutes at a time on a flash game. GREAT job though. 9.9/10
    My Music

Click it.

Wow, great game. I've never really been a fan of hitTest but this game shows why they wrote it in.

It seems a bit bland to have a game based only on time. Maybe there should be a cable with a limited length attached to each piton so that if you're stuck under a falling rock, it can snap. You would also have to swing back and forth on it to get to a lower ledge and climb back up so that it's more of a safeguard than a save point. Then you could give the character a set number of lives.

The character's motion is really beautiful. Sometimes he'll do ridiculous things like bend his elbow in a full circle while changing direcitons but it's hardly noticeable.

All in all, a great game. It's really close to perfect.