A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been ripped!

I've been ripped!

It's been a long road to get where i'm at. Not that i'm a superpro but a lot of work has gone into my site. http://southshoregraphics.com/

a friend of mine emailed me with this site http://deepblue.com/ . so i email them and call them on the rip. no biggie, just so they know i know, whatever. websites have a shelf life of about a year and i've been working on a new version.

he then emails me back a cease and desist! big balls. mine is from march 2004. i'll gladly see him in court if he's dumb enough to pursue it that far. i DO have the evidence to make my case.

so frustrating, just had to vent.
    www.Southshoregraphics.com
    Web Design > Flash > Logos > Vector
    Amazing Web Hosting

come on. that is not a rip. his has a view from within the ocean and yours is from inside a water-bed (and I don't want to know what that couple is doing on top of it)!

Yeah, defenitly not a rip, just inspired by the same natural effect every scuba-diver knows and loves.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

c'mon...look at the navigation, the way it's laid out. identical. they just threw some bevels on it and made the background blue. look at the cinema screen on the front page and the other water effect size in my 'services' and the rest of their site. their 'presence defined' title on the front page is the same as my 'contemporary multi-media.' they made little tweaks here and there but so many exact elements. in fact i know theirs is newer due to the fact they ripped my most recent version.

i don't even care really. like i said, my new site is already in progress and even better. but they respond with a cease and desist? crazy. i can date it way back and have had many thousands of hits.
    Last edited by SouthShore; 07-22-2005 at 07:21 AM.
    Amazing Web Hosting

I think its quite reasonable to belive antoher person could have come up with that site completly independently of you.

it's way too close. theres a few sites with that water but not so exact. it's just frustrating when some hack sends you a cease and desist for your own work. certainly thats reasonable as well.
    Amazing Web Hosting

Have you checked the source of his pages? That will tell you alot if they ripped off your site. But as far as i can tell, they are separate sites and it's just a coincedence that you both have a water animation. After you get away from the 1st page, the sites are completely different.

they didn't rip the code, just the graphics and concept. almost to the pixel. do a couple screenshots. it's very, very close.
    Amazing Web Hosting

I don't think they ripped your site. Have you seen their portfolio? They have more graphics and animation using water which would suggest that they are capable of doing the effect themselves. An example here

Eh? Wtf? I dont see ANY similarity whatsoever! :\

And, for the records, I like DeepBlue.com better.

Oh and, I think your site's water effect looks a LOT like that old EVB.com site's water effect.

dear OP,
    you sir are on crack.

Truely yours,
    Silverx2
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

advance flash, in fact, made the graphics/animation. deep blue is featured on advanceflash.com. it'll be interesting to hear exactly when advance flash created the animation for them. advance flash asked to feature my site/water when they were using the old version of their site (the white one.) i told them i would appreciate the promotion but i created the animation personally.

it's a good looking site, but it wouldn't have existed without mine. if you like theirs better, great. how would you like someone threatening you for your own work/creativity?
    Amazing Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by zakp0
    Oh and, I think your site's water effect looks a LOT like that old EVB.com site's water effect.
    i'm pretty sure advanceflash did that too. the movie 'titanic' was actually first to use the software. it's the website, not the water effect. and i'm not suing anyone.
    Amazing Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SouthShore
    advance flash, in fact, made the graphics/animation. deep blue is featured on advanceflash.com. it'll be interesting to hear exactly when advance flash created the animation for them. advance flash asked to feature my site/water when they were using the old version of their site (the white one.) i told them i would appreciate the promotion but i created the animation personally.

it's a good looking site, but it wouldn't have existed without mine. if you like theirs better, great. how would you like someone threatening you for your own work/creativity?

Your failing to see the point the sites arnt even in close to similar, the only thing that i can tell is close is the water effect. yours has flash transitions his as i saw did not.

get off the juice jose, get off the juice
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I honestly don't see the rip off. And I honestly do like their site better than yours.

And, look at this: http://www.jaybirch.com/ Jay Birch, owner of advanceflash, used to work for deepblue. They are big enough, and with enough money to go and hire good designers and scripters.

Maybe you should ask for a job, i'm sure they'll look at your portfolio and consider it
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Hmm...
    Haha...thanks for making me laugh today...

If you are talking about basic layout, navigation, color, etc. You are refering to thousands of websites that may look similar. And as far as the water effect, I just did a search on google for templates and found "five" with the same style water effect.

Hmm...small world...

TJdub

Not a rip, get over yourself.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

AF didnt do EVB.com's site. How long have you been on the web? Not very long if you think they did. EVB makes their own stuff.

it's the website, not the water effect.
    Firstly, even the water effects are completely different. And if you're not saying anything about that, dude, then you're crazy. Their site doesnt look ANYTHING like yours!

and i'm not suing anyone.
    And I seriously doubt you could! There's nothing goddam similar! What the hell are you looking at dude? Someone stop this guy's weed supply :\

Logo flush left, top nav, big square banner below, 2 column content with news/featured crap on one side, content on the other, footer at the bottom. Yeah ... rip.

That describes just about every other site designed today. I've probably even designed a few that are similar ... so sue me.