A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] 'pixel art' sprite game graphics...

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Many Thanks for all the feedback and support from you guys...

*Daydream...thanks for the inspiration...

Quote Originally Posted by Santuria
    you all have got me inspired for a pixel ship gamey thing.
    Maybe we could all have a mini-comp between us all for pixel art sprites...Week by week we have a different thing to make, and then everyone votes on there favourite design, (5 days to make the design), (2 days to vote). Points awarded for the number of first place votes (15 points), second place (10 points) and third place (5 points)...

What do you think? Just a bit of fun...The winner each week would be crowned, "Official FK Pixel Art Game Sprite Champion".

Quote Originally Posted by pointguard
    Maybe we could all have a mini-comp between us all for pixel art sprites...Week by week we have a different thing to make, and then everyone votes on there favourite design, (5 days to make the design), (2 days to vote). Points awarded for the number of first place votes (15 points), second place (10 points) and third place (5 points)...

What do you think? Just a bit of fun...The winner each week would be crowned, "Official FK Pixel Art Game Sprite Champion".
    Only if DayDream cant enter

hey that sounds like a great idea to me, maybe not a week by week comp but just one every month ya im in
    - - - - - - - -

I'ld be up for that.

You guys should search around for the last pixel "comp". Started so well and ended in a nice war after the votes were counted.

Good idea though, be nice to see a well run pixel comp here, although I think weekly is a bit optimistic.

Squize.

I'll be up for that too

I'd take part in that.

But why don't we use the competition in a more constructive way...

There are always plenty of guys collaboratively working on a big project here, so if we were to base the competition on a particular project then all the sprites can be passed on.

Seeing as the competition is only for a bit of fun I'm sure nobody would object to that, plus whoever is working on a collaborative project gets a whole host of sprites for free into the bargain.

Just an idea though.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowestformofwit
    I'd take part in that.

But why don't we use the competition in a more constructive way...

There are always plenty of guys collaboratively working on a big project here, so if we were to base the competition on a particular project then all the sprites can be passed on.

Seeing as the competition is only for a bit of fun I'm sure nobody would object to that, plus whoever is working on a collaborative project gets a whole host of sprites for free into the bargain.

Just an idea though.
    That sounds pretty cool. Or we can contribute them all to a gallery where anyone who's looking for pixel sprites for their game can use them freely.

Also, someone mentioned importing your pixel art into Flash as PNG with compression. Well that's cool to save memory, but if you want certain things like the player's ship, for instance, to look sharp, I would go with GIF. Not sure if I'm the only one who thinks that way, but that's what I've noticed from experience.

better than chuck norris
    i dont care, just so long as i can play!

i love pixels!

I pixeled a tiny spaceship because I was bored . This thread reminds me that I used to do a lot of pixeling when the grafic programs were not as fancy as nowadays. It was fun but can eat up a lot of time if you draw something bigger.

I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

Cool...
    So shall we have the comp run once a month then? Can one of the 'games' forum mods hook up a little sticky thread for this at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicaninja
    Or we can contribute them all to a gallery where anyone who's looking for pixel sprites for their game can use them freely.
    Sounds like a nice idea as well...Maybe another sticky thread called 'game sprites gallery', whereby all the sprites entered each month can be posted as one thread, and then added to with future comps...?

Comp to start...now...??? (any objections)...
    How about we continue along the lines of a spaceship design for the first competition...? Unless anyone has any other ideas for the first type of sprite...
    Or, what about cars, or characters, demons (that would be cool...!)...
    Deadline for the first comp finishes the end of August, (as we're near the end of July already!)...

...Everyone ready?

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar

Dark Ship

Here's a dark ship I came up with at work today. I included two images of him using his plasma cannons. This is my first time attaching something so hopefully it comes out okay.

btw, how did you guys insert those images directly into the text? Sorry, still kinda new here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dominicaninja; 07-26-2005 at 04:48 PM.

i hope that you aren't afraid with retro stuffs ^_^
    5 colors with a tv effect applied...

(note that the game is almost finished now)

Marmotte thats really cool . I love retro.

Dominicaninja, yours look nice, very alien. I like the blasts coming out on image 3.
    Last edited by Pugger; 07-27-2005 at 12:26 AM.

One day I will rule the world.
    Well I guess the whole pixel art competition kinda fell to pieces.

Ohh well.

Quote Originally Posted by aqndog
    Well I guess the whole pixel art competition kinda fell to pieces.

Ohh well.
    Wha..?

Its just getting started...
    We'd need a proper sticky thread though I think to make it official, or so people can see what its all about...

Pointguard, are you taking control of this then? I'm not sure we'll get a sticky for it, so it might be an idea to start a new thread anyway. But first we need some rules like dimensions of graphic, time/date of deadline, method of rating (the last comp everyone voted a number out of 10 for each entry).

Quote Originally Posted by nick_das
    But first we need some rules like dimensions of graphic, time/date of deadline, method of rating (the last comp everyone voted a number out of 10 for each entry).
    Yes, I agree, we must have rules set first.

For example I feel the theme "Spaceship" is too vague. I would like to see more exact description of it, for example:
    *is it friendly ship or enemy ship
    *is it one man ship or huge spacecolony for 1 million people
    *top down or side view
    *is it fighter or not
    *is it suppose to be on black background or mainly colored (blue, red, yellow)
    *only 1 image or should/could the ship be animated (flames coming out, cannons shooting, shields appearing)

better than chuck norris
    next up... HEROS!