A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Illustrator bouding box help

Illustrator bounding box help [RESOLVED]

ok, i am sure there must be a simple solution to this (i hope!)

i am producing a flyer in illustrator, and i have some text right at the bottom of the flyer. the problem is when i save the image as a .pdf, because the text is right at the bottom, the actual bouding box of the text is off the bottom edge of the flyer, and so when the pdf is created it creates it with extra white space at the bottom.

i'm not sure if i am explaining this very well, so have attached 2 images which i hope might help.

this shows hte view in Illustrator....
    http://the2ofus.co.uk/help.jpg

and this is the bottom edge of the actual pdf....
    http://the2ofus.co.uk/help2.jpg

is there a way of telling it to align the text to the bottom of the bouding box? or can you tell it to do something when it exports to ignore anything outside of the 'artboard' area?

if i havn't made much sense or you have any questions about this, please let me know as this is driving me mad and i really want some help!!

any help/suggestions appreciated!!

thanks,

carly
    Last edited by carly1979; 07-30-2005 at 01:27 PM.

your pictures of help.jpg and help2.jpg are the same... the "Noise" is aligned not with the bottom-most bounding box, but the blue. Are you wanting "Noise" to stick out below that blue and into the white? Are you attempting to mask that?

Yeah... a better description is definitely needed for me.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i think she means she wants it cropped to the blue - no white bottom at all
    you can do this this in acrobat if you have it
    dont have illustrator here so cant remeber how to do it in that

yeah tayjax has it. the 2 images are different. although it looks like in the first image there is white space below the "noise", there isn't- the actual edge of the work area/art board is directly under the "noise"- no white space.

the reason it looks as if there is white space in illustrator is because that is the edge of the bounding box.

this is a design for a flyer and i want it to have colour printed right to the bottom of the paper.

i don't have acrobat any help from anyone with illustrator? gerbick? do you know what i mean now?

thanks for the suggestions so far.....

carly

What version of Illustrator are you using?

Worse comes to worse you could just convert that text to outlines and it would do away with the bounding box. Save the original file first if you need to retain the ability to edit that text though.

illustrator 10. ah that would do it would it? yeah, hadn't even thought of that (i am pretty new to illustrator!). i am assuming it's straight forward to figure out how to do that? -not at home PC now.

if that'll do the trick i will do it that way as the text shoudln't need editing now anyway as the design is complete.

thanks for the help

Yep ... should be pretty straight forward. Under the Type menu there should be an "create outlines" option. This will turn all text selected to vector art.

woohoo it worked. than you so much clicky2