A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Flash Battle :: Transitions

Firefox. That one showed your last transition only. This one (http://abeall.com/battle/Transitions/transitions.htm) only showed the first one.

Ah, now I see, sorry I think I confused you. There is no compilation posted yet... we'll wait untill it's done, no sneak previews What I mean was simply that the first post is updated to show a textual list of what's been done: vollies, by who, ending in what color. I'll probably make a new thread to post the results of this battle, but only after we are all done.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

ah. I misread your post I guess. Also, If you want me to, I can change the title of this battle if you had something in mind or just wanted me to put our names in it.
    Last edited by Dricciotti; 08-21-2005 at 05:11 PM.

still working on mine guys... not 100% happy with what I have so far, bear with me...

Ok, I'm done

http://addesignconcepts.com/fk/battl...dia_trans2.htm

transition from #FF6600 (orange) to #80543A (brown)

can anyone join in on this?

ad -
    Cool! Like it. I was expecting the sun to burst into full screen or something, but I loved the roughness of the mountains drawing and such, and the colors.

adam -
    Sure, but you'll need to be worked in(in other words, don't just come out of nowhere with a volley, without giving us warning or even following the rules, like jAQUAN did)
    Do you want to make a single volley(sort of like a 'guest') or be permantly worked into the cycle? Either way, if jAQUAN does not return after Dricciotti's volley(which is next) then you can take after him, before me. Assuming you've carefully read the first post
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 08-22-2005 at 11:11 AM.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

a guest volley sounds good. I shy away from comitment!! i will wait my turn and get my flash tennis racket ready.....

Thanks flashl!ght, I thought about that color scheme to blend with your orange first, then made up the composition .

Cool another guest slot after Dricotti... this should be interesting.
    Are you clear adam as far as using the previous volley's ending color at the beginning of your movie, dimensions (800x600), framerate = 30fps and nextTransition(); at the end of your movie?

post edited
    Last edited by admedia; 08-22-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Everything admedia mentioned is crucial... only it's actually 'nextTransition()' not 'nextFrame()' I'm sure that's what you meant, but just not to confuse adam

I haven't mentioned this yet, but thought I should: let's try and avoid using any '_root' calls in our transitions, this way if we use loadMovie (as opposed to loadMovieNum) we don't get messed up references. _lockroot does not work in Flash 6, but shouldn't matter so long as we all remember to use proper _parent referencing. Not that we are doing a whole lot of scripting in our vollies BTW, here's a simple 'pauseMovie' script you guys could use if you want, since setInterval is different in regards to _parent usage:
    code:
    stop();
    _global.parent = this;
    inter = setInterval(unpause,500);
    function unpause(){
    clearInterval(inter);
    parent.play();
    }

Where '500' is the number of milsec the pause is... that's a half second pause up there.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

im assuming that 'next transition()' is to be scripted into the last frame of my movie. everything else is crystal....im just waiting on dricotti now

Hey Dricotti, how did you know that my SWF was outputting nextTransition(); 100 times?

Just wondering... I applied my fix on my first volley and the only way I knew to check it is to add a trace message on the frame I advance the main timeline to at the end of the child movie. The child movie is actually 2 levels down so of course I used _parent._parent.nextFrame(); and on the main timeline I simply added another frame with stop(); and nextTransition();

I know you said it doesn't matter flashl!ght but I just wanted to make sure everything was solid when you go to combine them.

edit: I think I know the answer to my question... you loaded it into a movie with
    Code:
    function nextTransition(){
       trace("nextTransition();");
    }
    or something like that...
    Ok, my first transition is modified to nextTransition(); only once at the end now.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-22-2005 at 11:59 AM.

adam -
    correct, just put 'nextTransition()' on the frame in which you would like the next transition to begin(in other words yours is completely done). Just make sure it's 'nextTransition()' exactly like that - it's not 'next transition()'

admedia -
    Cool. Actually, I'll explain the system a tiny bit: when the 'nextTransition' function is called, the current Movie is completly removed. In other words, multiple calls can't happen, cause the first call is almost like saying "delete me" and once it's deleted, it's not going to do any more calling. That said, I did double check, and your old movie worked fine.

All dric had to do to see if your movie was calling nextTransition() was
    - loadmovie(yourSWF)
    - create a function like this:
    _global.nextTransition = function(){
    trace("next transition called");
    }
    - Play and wait.
    However, the system won't allow more than one call from a movie, like I said...

Annnnyyyway... Dricciotti, you're up
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

I am sure you know what you are doing flashl!ght, this is your idea and the nextTransition(); thing is very clever and flexible.

Just something I am thinking too... it would be nice to have a preloader on the final 'tranistion player' file as well so it plays smooth through all the transitions, right?
    Anyways I am sure you got that in there too... if not I would be happy to discuss implimentation...

Dricotti's up
    Last edited by admedia; 08-22-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by >flashl!ght<
    Annnnyyyway... Dricciotti, you're up
    Starting work on it now (starting with #80543A). A guest spot sounds like a cool idea and we could do it as a permanent spot or just whenever we have someone who want to guest volley. Also, how long are we going to wait before we show the connected files all run together? Even though everyone can see the individual volleys, I say we wait until we get a bunch done just to give people more to see.

P.S. Blind volleys sometime maybe?

I say we (flashl!ght, Dricotti, admedia) all put in 3 transitions... + any guest spots that work in the meantime and post this!

So once you post this one Dricotti we each do 1 more than let it rip.

PS - I am open to blind volleys... maybe you just post this one... then adam... than flashl!ght can just post his #hex number and we do the same for the last go round.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-22-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Well now I suppose is a good time to discuss the loading

We have a few options:
    1) preload all movies in the beginning, then play them(this will ensure no hangs between any of them)
    2) preload the movies as they come, one at a time. this will require a preloader between each transition, which seems like it would take away from the presentation.
    However, another thought is that so far we have the following file sizes: 5K, 10K, 20,K, 92K(jAQUAN's ... alot of frame by frame pre-rendered vectors), 16K, 57K
    Those are relatively small sizes, especially some of them (5-20 KB)... we could honestly consider doing without a preloader at all, if it wasn't for the few hiccups.
    And another option is to preload the the first several movies(based on file size and such) then start to play, while the remaining files are loaded, and hope the playhead doesn't catch up

The thing is, I'm on broadband, so it doesn't really matter to me, I just want to avoid slight pauses and pesky preloaders between transitions
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

I vote for option 1 if it wouldn't be too difficult.

Even though I am on broadband, I would like any dialups here to be able to enjoy a seamless movie.

My thought is to perhaps make a complete list of movies ie.
    HTML Code:
    =movie1=flashlight1.swf&movie2=admedia.swf&movie3=jAQUAN.swf&movie4=Dricotti.swf...
    then the preloader would loop through those variables, load and put each .swf into a container on individual frames of the timeline on the next scene...
    then when it's loaded, it goes to the first frame on the next scene (which would be the first transition movie), plays the movie and the nextTransition(); code just advances to the nextFrame(); which is the next transition....

anyways that's just how I think about stuff... text lists and put each movie on a frame...

I am sure there are other, probably better ways to go about it, but I just thought I would share how I might take a stab at it.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-22-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Yeah. just preload them all. If the battle begins to get too long we can change it but that sounds like a good idea for now. Rather than making a testfile with all the movie names we can just name them "trans1.swf", "trans2.swf" and so on and then just run a loop to load them all.
    Also, make sure you guys put stop() at then end of your file after the NextTransition() call. It shouldent matter too much but I can see it helping later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dricciotti
    Also, make sure you guys put stop() at then end of your file after the NextTransition()
    I am doing
    Code:
    stop();
    nextTransition();
    shouldn't matter though... as long as the movie stops and nextTransition is called.