A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleh, now I'll have to wait to get a new iPod

Hybrid View

Bleh, now I'll have to wait to get a new iPod

Despite historic comments that a Video iPod was not felt to be a desirable product, Apple appears to have expanded the iPod trademark to include Video support as well as other features and functionality which the iPod line has encompassed. The most recent character mark was filed on June 18, 2005 and provides the following description:

full line of electronic and mechanical accessories and computer software for portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing text, data, audio, image, and video files;
    all for use with portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing text, data, audio, image, and video files in Class 9
    The original iPod trademark from October 2001 was limited to text, data and audio files:

Portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing text, data, and audio files
    The expanded trademark coverage may simply be pro-active protection for Apple, but is difficult to ignore the rumors/speculation about potential video-capable iPods.
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/...02001855.shtml

My iPod died a few months ago, and they wouldn't repair it for free even though it was under warranty. I wanted to go buy a iAudio X5 (renown for awesome sound quality), but it's a little bit on the expensive side (in terms of storage). I finally decided to that I would get a new iPod instead, but now this. Time to wait. Again.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

They're watching to see how portable video is with the PSP... if its all good, expect a new video ipod for Christmas!

Surprisingly UMD videos sell well, so I'm sure the Video iPod is coming, especially since video-podcasting in iTunes is coming (read my sig).

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

they better get a screen like the PSP then, cause that little iPod screen would blow for video...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

bingo. but a screen like the PSP moves it out of pocket sized though.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Meh. All I'm hoping is that music-only iPods will get a pricecut. Hopefully they won't phase them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    bingo. but a screen like the PSP moves it out of pocket sized though.
    did you see the iPod video mockup on gizmodo/engadget last week? it has (maybe) a landscape orientation (thus widescreen), and looked to be a little less that twice as big as the iPod. but if you have a psp, the extra girth is unneeded - it plays videos just fine (except for the storage issue - why couldn't sony squeeze a hard drive in there again?)

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Yeah there is ipods, ipod photos, and they should just ADD the ipod video

and what is up with the new color screens on all the normal ipods? i like the old screens. All it was was text for song names. Won't these screens take more power?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Yeah there is ipods, ipod photos, and they should just ADD the ipod video

and what is up with the new color screens on all the normal ipods?
    there is only the iPod, iPod mini, and iPod shuffle now.
    i'm 99% certain that every regular iPod is now a color screen iPod photo.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    there is only the iPod, iPod mini, and iPod shuffle now.
    i'm 99% certain that every regular iPod is now a color screen iPod photo.
    Yep. They're all photo iPods now.

3 words can throw cold water on this thread:

Hitch on UMD.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

*shrinks*
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

oh lame.

Less is more! I don't want a colour screen when listening to music... and I don't want the inside of my pocket to be shown 'album art'!

I hate progression...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

the consolidation of the iPods to all color was a smart move. the iPod Photo wasn't really selling at a slightly premium price over the black/white iPods.

anyway, a video iPod... there's plenty of PMP's (personal movie players) that work just fine... and look damn near like an iPod already.

but video on that small of a screen... murder. I'll go ahead and file my lawsuit against Apple to save you all the trouble.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Even the ipod photo is a diversion from what makes the ipod a design classic, video just seems to be pushing it over the edge. Simple attractive functional design without unnecessary crap was what made the ipod.

The ipod photo is expensive and pretty useless if you're a digital photographer, but they got away with it on brand and because there were enough people that just wanted to carry photos around with them that they could show people on a tiny screen. They'll need to pull something far more functional out for a video ipod, it's a crowded market already and nothing based on the current ipod can really compete, just no room for a decent screen.

If this does come out expect to see a lot of people walking into telephone poles and parked cars.

rob - it's not like the screen stays on...have you never actually held one?

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Not a photo iPod, just my old 4th gen, I should have guessed it would turn off
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Does it turn off completely, or just the backlight??

I think the video ipod shoulds stay seperate...

Adding the new "photo" screen was pushing it.