A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Flash 8 Studio

Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    I rarely use bitmaps. I design in Vector.....VECTOR.
    Dude, it takes VECTOR and caches it "as bitmap", reducing the processor requirement to move that VECTOR around the stage. That feature helps people who use VECTOR. Bitmaps are already cached as bitmaps, because well, they are bitmaps to begin with.

I am stoked.

Curve editor for animations?

Blend Modes?

Live effects?

I have not personally upgraded to MX'04. It took me awhile to even download the trial, just so I could open clients messed up MX'04 projects and fix them in MX. I'd lost faith in MM, to be frank.

But I just watched the product tours of Studio 8, and it's already in my shopping cart.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Drawing enhancements. Still room for work, but not forgotten.

admedia, you're crazy, no offense. Ink modes and effects are there because those are things people emulated on their own quite often, and were a pain to do. I suspect the work they did in the 8 player allowed them to finally implement those features, but that they had been sitting on a list somewhere for awhile. Besides, Director / Shockwave had ink modes years ago, it's not just a PS thing.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    ok, just a thought... since Adobe and Macromedia merged could this be part of the reason we are seeing all of these Photoshopesque features in the new version?

or am I crazy to think that?
    Those were most likely planned before the merger... in fact, I'm willing to bet at least 5 cents that Adobe had near to nothing to do with this version... it was too late into the dev cycle to tinker with, Adobe-style that is.

Same went for Adobe's CS2 Suite. No interaction between the two as it stands, right now that is.

After reading more and more about Flash 8, I think this will replace my love for Flash 5 as my typical Flash IDE to use. And for me... that's saying a lot. I despised MX 2004... saw it as a necessary evil.

Flash 8 has my attention.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Aww...you're just saying that 'cause the tabbed palletes are back for the first time since 5, and Adobe won't sue them over it now.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

damn straight.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

There was some mention a while ago about some sort of XML enhancement. Not sure what it was though however it seemed failry good and complicated.

There has been a lot of talk about phacker not liking flash since it upgraded from 4 or something, cant get over how patient you people are, move on Phacker its not just about you, get toontime !

Are there any improvement to the scripting, new features, whats happening there people.

And for my five cents there are a lot of feautes in this that are as usual catch ups to work arounds that the dev community has created. Embedding the cue points is good what about the metadata, also have they fixed the duration problem,
    cheers,
    sam
    peace.

to cheer things up, and for where this thread is originated (coffee lounge)

phacker:
    scooter seems like a nice dog! with evil looking eyes.

Someone siad they wanted a file upload download feature in flash well flash 8 has it..............
    peace.

Just curious, does anybody know of a list showing Flash Player filesize over the versions? All I know is v7 was 684K, but I can't find a filesize for v8 or any of the ealier ones.

I just can hardly believe all the new features I'm seeing! While I'm on broadband so it doesn't matter to me, I wonder what all these features are doing to the filesize of the player? I'm sure MM would *not* completely compromise it, seeing as Flash's success is largely attributed to it's lightweight filesize, but I'm just curious.

[edit] I'm sure MM would completely compromise it <meant to say> I'm sure MM would *not* completely compromise it [/edit]
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 08-10-2005 at 05:21 PM.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Senior Moderator
    Macromedia wont ccompromise the adoption rate of the Flash Player by bloating out the filesize of the Flash Player. It is still under 1mb - around 800k i believe.

With regards to XML enhancements, there are none. No new core language enhancements. But there is the Normal Mode 2.0 in the authoring environment and numerous new additional actionscript api's in the player.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Those were most likely planned before the merger... in fact, I'm willing to bet at least 5 cents that Adobe had near to nothing to do with this version... it was too late into the dev cycle to tinker with, Adobe-style that is.
    yea, that's where my 5 cents goes too. thanks for responding.

Actually I love MX, tried MX04 it blue screened me too often so I reverted. I don't need all the components and stuff it came with to make my animations or keep my site running.

And I was seriously considering this version, but I really don't see anything there to get me enthusiatic.

Luvenny, thanks for the Scooter comment. I learned a lot of Flash working with her. And for a little dog she did have attitude.

For those that are wondering I've certified in Illustrator and CorelDraw, I just like the drawing tools in Flash better. I've learned short cuts and it just comes natural now.

Pat
    Last edited by phacker; 08-10-2005 at 02:48 PM.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Last edited by phacker; 08-10-2005 at 03:09 PM.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Main Coordinator
    Good lord, they're definitely focusing on a lot of video aspects. Well, Flash 8 definitely got my attention. Moreso than the MX2004 series ever did. I think once my school gets it, I'll fiddle with Flash 8 and see if it's worth the buy.

Might as well check the Fireworks/Dreamweaver scene too, since I'll be going the Studio route, if I choose to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    And the most honest review I've seen so far:

http://www.flashmagazine.com/1131.htm
    And they absolutely loved it.......not sure what your points are Phacker, there is a lot of ranting going on but youre not acutally saying anything. The work you do, although cute, is very primitive as far as flash is concerned. Your work barely scrapes the edges of flash 5 let alone any of the subsequent versions and the complaints that you are putting out simply sound like you are upset that flash is not a simple easy to use app for nubes. Perhaps you should really start to push the envelope, embrace flash properly as a development tool as opposed to a tweening tool. Flash 8 has seriously pushed the boundaries and is AMAZING to say the least. A few punchy, revolutionary enhancements that will change the flash world BIG TIME.
    You have been running around flash kit posting everywhere you can about the dangers of flash 8 and how pox flash mx was, I find this annoying coming from someone who cant really use the app. Perhaps you might try and share some information or creative ideas with us rather than this grudge fest your indulging in. I saw flash becoming a major competitor to html, a changeing force on the web, this has been slow, however I feel that this version is going to radically change things.
    Last edited by audas; 08-12-2005 at 05:39 AM.
    peace.

Quote Originally Posted by audas
    And they absolutely loved it.......not sure what your points are Phacker, there is a lot of ranting going on but youre not acutally saying anything. The work you do, although cute, is very primitive as far as flash is concerned. Your work barely scrapes the edges of flash 5 let alone any of the subsequent versions and the complaints that you are putting out simply sound like you are upset that flash is not a simple easy to use app for nubes. Perhaps you should really start to push the envelope, embrace flash properly as a development tool as opposed to a tweening tool. Flash 8 has seriously pushed the boundaries and is AMAZING to say the least. A few punchy, revolutionary enhancements that will change the flash world BIG TIME.
    You have been running around flash kit posting everywhere you can about the dangers of flash 8 and how pox flash mx was, I find this annoying coming from someone who cant really use the app. Perhaps you might try and share some information or creative ideas with us rather than this grudge fest your indulging in. I saw flash becoming a major competitor to html, a changeing force on the web, this has been slow, however I feel that this version is going to radically change things.
    Well said, flash can definitely do way more than people give credit, in any version that's been released.

I am reading quite a lot now about the euphorie of flash8.
    1. However, I am wondering when i strive through he different forums there are always more in the MX question forums than the MX2004 (AS2) forums. I wonder the euphorie will last when people recognize that flash 8 is a continuation of 7 and not of MX. So skipping 7 might cause a lot of problems adopting 8. I can see already the numerous questions like:
    "I want to upgrade my movie from MX to 8 but it does not work any more. Do you know what is wrong?"

2. The flash player required (8) will not be available for older Windows or Mac OS. Plus the willingness to upgrade players is not very high among users. Flash 8 movies will therefore only be available for certain class of users (for example video) or certain purposes, at least for the time being. However, if you develop for future sites, it's probably one of the best upgrades.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Generally, I am looking forward to the new features .
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

You're correct. Utilizing the new features will be very hard. As flash player 6 and 7 were preinstalled on new machines for the last 3 years. Most users will be affraid to "Install new player" in fear of all the virus and spyware threats abroad. This version will be for the people who design things for a specific audience, not the norm. People who continue to publish for player 6 and 7 will have the most success. Some of my work involves creating interactive business cards and CDs, that's will this newly found power will be put to good use.

if($<0){WelcomeToMyWorld} joshchernoff's Avatar
    other then hard core coding I don't know what could be next in the way for developers.
    maybe thay should take flash, swt3d or maya or some 3d program, photo shop or gimp
    and make one program. that would be cool