A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Flash 8 Studio

Now with adobe in the back there will be something like this coming I suppose. May be the new giant Adbomedia is going to buy Swift 3d.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

> Might as well check the Fireworks/Dreamweaver scene too, since I'll be going the
    > Studio route, if I choose to buy it.
    Fireworks user here. Check out the v8, looks pretty sweet actually. 25 new blend modes, long overdue!

1. However, I am wondering when i strive through he different forums there are always more in the MX question forums than the MX2004 (AS2) forums. I wonder the euphorie will last when people recognize that flash 8 is a continuation of 7 and not of MX. So skipping 7 might cause a lot of problems adopting 8. I can see already the numerous questions like:
    "I want to upgrade my movie from MX to 8 but it does not work any more. Do you know what is wrong?"

Interesting thought, but I don't think it will be a problem. Upgrading from AS1.0 to AS2.0 will be pretty much the same wether it's v7 or v8 you're skipping too. Only there will be more in v8 of course. And still, you can likely still publish to AS1.0 from Flash 8, only you won't get all the features. Another thought, alot of things were changed in version 7 IDE that alienated the user base somewhat: no normal mode, document level undo, ect. All these things have been reverted back to MX and earlier style, so F8 may be welcomed for this reason alone a little easier.

2. The flash player required (8) will not be available for older Windows or Mac OS. Plus the willingness to upgrade players is not very high among users. Flash 8 movies will therefore only be available for certain class of users (for example video) or certain purposes, at least for the time being. However, if you develop for future sites, it's probably one of the best upgrades.
    Very true, the day version 8 comes out does not mean we can go crazy making all our clients sites/webtools in F8, but that's to be expected. And personally I'm going to want some time to experiment first anyway

Perhaps you should really start to push the envelope, embrace flash properly as a development tool as opposed to a tweening tool.
    From an animators standpoint(I am forced to be both developer and designer, like many, but I'm an animator at heart), Flash 8 is incredibly exciting as well. Yes, the developers should be having fun, but I often hear self proclaimed animators complaining Flash is going the wrong way. How could you possibly think that? Curve editor for animations, Blending modes, and live Filters. Does that mean nothing to animators? It means After Effects is coming to the web! I'm also hoping cache as bitmap will help the issue of slow playback in some cases.
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 08-12-2005 at 10:40 PM.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Quote Originally Posted by audas
    And they absolutely loved it.......not sure what your points are Phacker, there is a lot of ranting going on but youre not acutally saying anything. The work you do, although cute, is very primitive as far as flash is concerned. Your work barely scrapes the edges of flash 5 let alone any of the subsequent versions and the complaints that you are putting out simply sound like you are upset that flash is not a simple easy to use app for nubes. Perhaps you should really start to push the envelope, embrace flash properly as a development tool as opposed to a tweening tool. Flash 8 has seriously pushed the boundaries and is AMAZING to say the least. A few punchy, revolutionary enhancements that will change the flash world BIG TIME.
    You have been running around flash kit posting everywhere you can about the dangers of flash 8 and how pox flash mx was, I find this annoying coming from someone who cant really use the app. Perhaps you might try and share some information or creative ideas with us rather than this grudge fest your indulging in. I saw flash becoming a major competitor to html, a changeing force on the web, this has been slow, however I feel that this version is going to radically change things.
    I use Flash for what I use it for. I really have enjoyed the "free transform, "gradient transform" and bezier tool. Not much since MX has really grabbed my attention or made my work easier. No I am not a developer I leave that to others. I just make my little animations. And the new improved stroke options would be a benefit. But I really don't need the filter options.

And I think I've only commented on Flash 8 in this thread, and only then because Gerbick ask me to elaborate. Sorry if it got your shorts in a bunch. I am sure you'll do lots with the new filters and such.

And I have no real problem with MX (in fact it's my program of choice), since I left shared library symbols behind. But MX04, never worked well for me.

I found your site very entertaining. Maybe if I bounced my menus you'd like my work better. But I'd need motion sickness pills.
    Last edited by phacker; 08-12-2005 at 10:51 PM.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Main Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by >flashl!ght<
    > Might as well check the Fireworks/Dreamweaver scene too, since I'll be going the
    > Studio route, if I choose to buy it.
    Fireworks user here. Check out the v8, looks pretty sweet actually. 25 new blend modes, long overdue!
    Thanks for the lookout. I love the potential of Photoshop, but for some reason, I always felt more comfortable with Fireworks. So after looking at Flash 8 stuff, I browsed through the new features of Fireworks and Studio 8 last night and liked what I saw. Actually now, I'm seriously thinking about getting a new computer soon once I get my new job. If everything turns out well at school for the '8' series, I'll just buy that too.

Anybody used Contribute? Just give me a direct source link or a brief opinion on it, as I'm new to...er...'contributions'.

...there are always more in the MX question forums than the MX2004 (AS2) forums...
    Well, I am not sure if you are correct there >flashl!ght<. In the forums people still frequently look at flash4 and 5. I started with flash5 as a beginner and when MX came out I was serious and developed some applications and more and more... Then when MX2004 came out I started changing and adopting all (most) of the new features including classes, the new V2 component structure etc.
    My advantage is that this is my hobby and not my main job (only side business). So I have actually the time and motivation to learn the new things as soon as they come out and can afford to play around with it. A designer whose income is dependent on that cannot afford the time. And I can see many getting lost who did not look at MX2004 seriously, because it will all be there. getting back to "normal" mode doesn't mean the world is turned back 2 years and MX2004 was actually a bad dream. Anyways we will see and I hope what I'm saying turns out to be bull****

The problem, which I see ( I am a basic scientist and learnt it there first) is that the speed with which these programs are developed is incredible fast and if you don't want to get lost you need to specialize. So in the future there will not be a web designer, there will be XHTMLer, a javasripter, a flash designer (already exists), a flash media developer, a flash form developer, a flash animator etc etc. Trying to be a little bit of all, I tell you as a scientist, don't try it!
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -