A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Flash 8 Studio

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    I just want better stability, a Library palette that remembers it's position automatically -
    Funny, they made a big deal out of that in the podcast.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

now only if they'd give me a f'n discount.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I hear there's an alarm that goes off in their offices when the word 'discount' is uttered. The only time I've seen jack from them or Adobe, aside from educational pricing, is "Save 600 bucks on studio when you spend $4k+ on a new PowerMac."
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I am animator and I am not impressed.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

care to explain why, phacker? I'm actually wondering what people are taking from this version... I'm just too skeptical to listen to the hype-mongers and MM boot lickers to listen to anything other than some raw, unsolicited comments.

The only thing that I would appreciate is the improved stroke/line tool. I am not looking for more weight to the program just to add little special filters that most of us have already figured out how to do in vector since the beginning. I was hoping for a little more than the improved line tool and ease in/ease out function. I used to preorder each new version, but since MX2004, I take a hesitant view of things. It didn't work well for me it was bloated with newby tools, that I would never use, and components which I don't use with my animation unless I absolutely need to because they bog down my web delivery. MX broke the shared library thing for me. I had to rebuild over 200 files on my site to make them work again. I'll never even go there again, because Macromedia never even acknowledged that it was a bug. I remember how lean and mean Flash four was, it was easy to download even on a dialup and the player could be installed without a reboot. I am sure the innovations for the developers and programers are great, but I only use a few of those. I draw and animate, make it easier for me, but don't think of me as an idiot that needs a filter to make a drop shadow.

Don't get me wrong I use MX now (but I'll never use shared library assets again), but not MX2004, my computer is older and I had memory system resources issues with it. I can only imagine what I would have with eight with all it's little filter effects. I don't want Photoshop built into Flash, I want to animate.

Pat
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Flash Professional 8 enables creative professionals to design and develop interactive content that provides customers with the most engaging online experiences. Flash Professional 8 now includes unique tools for designing graphic effects, animation, text, video, and content for mobile devices. New effects, including drop shadow, blur, glow, bevel, and color adjust, permit more compelling designs with pixel-perfect control and precision. The new custom easing tool enables precise control over animation. The revolutionary FlashType™ font-rendering engine ensures clear, high-quality text. These new expressive features raise the bar for the quality of business and individual websites and improve digital experiences.
    Drop shadow, blur, glow, bevel and and color adjust...I am just holding my sides in ecstasy!!!! I've always needed someone to do these things for me. NOT in case someone takes this seriously!

The font rendering engine they should have fixed three versions back. Everyone has *****ed about it.
    Last edited by phacker; 08-09-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Sorry Gerbick you shouldn't have ask me to elaborate.

Pat
    Last edited by phacker; 08-09-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Phacker, I am not sure what it is but it seems they have done some things in the drawing area.
    Custom New stroke possibilities, advanced gradient control, Object Drawing
    Look at some of those example movies stevietat posted too. I think it looks like a good upgrade.

Senior Moderator
    I think you will be pleasantly suprised Phacker.

Custom Easing for starters.

Blend Modes, alpha masks.

Stroke joins.

Gradient Strokes.

Filters - tweenable.

Object drawing mode.

Gradient enhancements.

New Library Panel workflow.

Tabbed Panels/ Custom Panel Grouping

Thousands of bug fixes.

And much much more...

Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    Sorry Gerbick you shouldn't have me to elaborate.
    Oh hell no. I'm glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGuru
    I think you will be pleasantly suprised Phacker.

Custom Easing for starters.

Blend Modes, alpha masks.

Stroke joins.

Gradient Strokes.

Filters - tweenable.

Object drawing mode.

Gradient enhancements.

New Library Panel workflow.

Tabbed Panels/ Custom Panel Grouping

Thousands of bug fixes.

And much much more...
    What is much much more? Custom Panel Groupings you could do that before if you learned to use the tools. I don't need someone to hold my hand or bevel my shapes. I need tools that are supposed to work the way they should. Filters...."I don't need your stinking "filters". Gradient enhancements, I've never been unable to do anything with gradients that I wanted to do, with the Gradient tools, the Gradient transform and interactive gradient tool. I don't know why you guys need it dumbed down.

Stroke joins...never had a problem...what's yours?

Filters tweenable, what the H*lll learn to animate.

Alpha masks, learn to see. I know why they weren't included in the early versions because if you thought about what you were trying to accomplish a gradient overlay with a zero alpha would have accomplished the same thing for you, but you need to learn how to construct things.
    Last edited by phacker; 08-09-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    I don't need someone to hold my hand or bevel my shapes.
    I'm curious as to what features for animators are missing; from what you've seen with F8 and experienced with earlier versions of Flash. Macromedia put a lot of effort into addressing the needs / requests of designers this release after MX04s focus on developers [IMO]. Unfortunately they can't address everyone's needs of course, but offering up suggestions would be the next direction to head.

One of my biggest gripes is the fact that snap to object is the the default setting when drawing. I don't how many times I have to backtrack and unclick that. It's really minor but it is annoying.

I do like the improved stroke thing where the lines don't have to be rounded, that's an improvement, but not enough for me to buy it. And I hope they fixed the undo thing they broke in MX2004.

I've used Flash for so long, that I've learned to work with it's limitations. Drop shadows and bevels are somethings that an illustrator/animator can contruct they don't need a filter to do it for them. Blurs might be a good thing, but so many beginning animators use them just because....

And I don't just use Flash for animation I use it as a vector creation tool, for logos and static design.

One of my biggest gripes is the fact that snap to object is the the default setting when drawing.
    hmm... not to nitpick, I am using MX 2004 / Win. The default here is snap align and snap to guides.

I think the biggest headache I've had with Flash as an animator is that the player drops graphic frames when it overloads...not sure there's an easy solution to that, but I've fought it for ever.
    Last edited by phacker; 08-09-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    hmm... not to nitpick, I am using MX 2004 / Win. The default here is snap align and snap to guides.

Are you creating vector art? Or importing bitmaps.

Are you creating vector art? Or importing bitmaps.
    Click on pen tool and draw. Does it matter though... I open flash and that's what it's set to.

Also for static stuff or anything more complex I use Freehand. I don't think Flash has the power for well designed drawings. Maybe this version will help that some.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-09-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    I think the biggest headache I've had with Flash as an animator is that the player drops graphic frames when it overloads...not sure there's an easy solution to that, but I've fought it for ever.
    I'm not sure of your target audience but each release comes with some pretty hefty performance improvements. You would benefit just by publishing with MX04+; even more so if you targeted the latest player. With F8 you could probably get a nice boost with the new bitmap caching feature.