A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build your own computer

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Oh, and hanratty I do know the beauty of working in a LianLi case, I have one, but the 6 fans are a bit much in the noise department.
    yea, baby! Lian-li...loud and proud! Get some panaflo fans and a rheobus ...they should help the noise a little.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Let's see 6 case fans...times 10 bucks a fan....nah.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

my antec case fans run about 12-14 each... only three, but it can sound like a B-52 taking off at times.

*loud music helps*

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

soooo what I get from this thread is just go all out on a case...

psh, I am going to go all out on hardware not what holds it...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yeah! Spend everything on hardware and just put everything in this sweet cardboard case.

Pray it doesn't overheat.

Don't have the full details for each thing but this is a rough idea:

PSU: Coolmax cx-500b - $60.50
    Case: Raidmax Astro - $30
    Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Premium - $172
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - $487
    Ram: 2 gigs Corsair XMS Series (2 x1 gig sticks) - $276
    Optical: NEC 16x dvd burner - $46
    HD1: WD 74 gig Raptor 10,000rpm - $183
    HD2: WD 320 gig Caviar 7,200rpm - $195
    Video: Asus x800 256ram pci-express - $199
    Cooling: 4 red led 80mm fans - $12

Total - $1661! That is almost $200 over the limit...where ever shall I cut back.

This makes me wanna build a new one. My seems like crap compared to that.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Don't have the full details for each thing but this is a rough idea:

PSU: Coolmax cx-500b - $60.50
    Case: Raidmax Astro - $30
    Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Premium - $172
    Is this a gaming machine? Any particular reason you need an SLI board? Unless he plans on getting 135 FPS as an "l33t gamr" then I think this is probably overkill, and you could lop off a good 50 bucks or so here.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - $487
    Ram: 2 gigs Corsair XMS Series (2 x1 gig sticks) - $276
    UNNECESSARY - why do you need XMS Ram? Is he overclocking? I buy name brand RAM but never get sucked into the "X-treme" hype BS. Stick with the regular Corsair at $100 per GB.
    Optical: NEC 16x dvd burner - $46
    I recommend the Pioneer one I posted earlier - it's about the same price, and without question, the nest drive available for the price. If you dont care about price, Plextor...if you do, Pioneer. I've been through about 10 different drives (including an OEM NEC one...) Trust me - stick with the Pioneer here.
    HD1: WD 74 gig Raptor 10,000rpm - $183
    HD2: WD 320 gig Caviar 7,200rpm - $195
    Segate Barracuda - 300 GB for $165 - save $30, lose 20 GB
    Video: Asus x800 256ram pci-express - $199
    Cooling: 4 red led 80mm fans - $12

Total - $1661! That is almost $200 over the limit...where ever shall I cut back.

This makes me wanna build a new one. My seems like crap compared to that.
    I believe the savings here should get you back just about to the $1500 mark.

Now that I look at it, you could probably save a bit on the processor too. Usually, the recommendation is to NOT get the latest and greatest CPU on the market as the performance vs. price difference doens't make it worth it. I don't know much about the AMD processors, but I'd imagine you could find one for 25% less, that is not dropping 25% worth of performance.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 08-10-2005 at 10:19 AM.

get cheaper RAM and drop the 10,000 RPM hard drive (is that really necessary?)

Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13
    get cheaper RAM and drop the 10,000 RPM hard drive (is that really necessary?)
    Yeah - I was thinking about that too. It'd be cool to have the OS/Progs on there to load faster, but that's a lot of $ for a WEE bit better performance. Up to you though. If it's only for OS and progs, you can probably get away with a smaller one 36.7 GB for $111?

RH

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    I'm going to be a jerk and ask my question again. Athalon FX or X2?
    x2.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Thanks TGLC.

Dude, you picked an SLI mobo and an ATI card, he ain't using SLI...drop the motherboard down.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

the reason i got the "SLI" board is because that is the next up from the $125 asus mobo i found that will support the X2 processor.

and he is going to be running really intensive 3D enginering apps on this beast. so i figured the 10,000 for OS and apps. how big do those apps get? could he get away with just 36 gigs?

I will look it back over and go less on the few things you all suggested except maybe the mobo. the X2 seems like a sweet chip and with 3D apps i am sure dual core will be nice

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    the reason i got the "SLI" board is because that is the next up from the $125 asus mobo i found that will support the X2 processor.
    The price is down to $154 at newegg...and look below that -- you'll save another $20 if you combo it with the processor you selected...BUY IT NOW!

It's not just the apps, it's the files he's going to create with them. Check the updates on the manufacturer's sites, most socket 939 boards should be able to handle the x2 after a bios update.

imagination through stupidity
    No, I decided that I like Macs and OS X a lot, I just don't like using them. Things in the Mac OS GUI that have bugged me from the OS9 days are still there, doesn't suit the way I work and the change is just too frustrating. That and the mouse acceleration is pissing me off to no extent. Plus this read-only garbage on NTFS defeats the point of my external HD. I tried installing a hacked driver and it cause the mini not to boot, fortunately the OS X install disc has a terminal utility on it so I could get the old one back. Nifty trick, wish MS would ship an emergency disk that was their own live linux distro.
    Hmm, i found the mini to be very sluggish (but more powerful per MHZ considering the OS size and complexity), but as far as how the windows operate.. i find it much easier to work with many file/apps open (because you can close the app window and the program will still run). I went back to windows today and i really felt the clunkyness of it.. especially when i only have one monitor untill i have to send the mini back. NTFS, yea umn.. OSX plays find with NTFS network drvies (inside a computer). NTFS has authentication built into each file and OSX can't read that i guess. My Fat32 firewire drive worked fine.

God do i love not having photoshop constrained to that application window. Flash/Dreamweaver really needs tabulation, badly. I'm going to get a power mac, just gotta save up the cash first.

I think you tend to work a little slower on OSX, but the overall flow seems to be better. I had activedirectory, smb all working nicely.

I talked to you about mouse acceleration earlier. I have my mouse whiping around like crazy, just like windows.
    Last edited by Sybersnake; 08-10-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

thanks for all the input, and i will tell my friend to give me his debit card now so we can order that combo deal(gotta love newegg)

hmhm...debit card in my possesion.

ugth...this makes me want to build a new computer...