A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: button within mc issue

button within mc issue

hi everyone, i ran into this issue when working on a site recently and I don't know how to solve it. What i'm trying to do seems fairly simple but I keep running into this problem, so here it goes:

On this site the navigation system is the following - on the left side of the window there is a P and a B aligned vertically, sorta like this:
    p
    b

What i want to happen is when the mouse rolls over the 'pb' movieclip the p and b should split up (p goes up, b goes down), and the buttons should be revealed below (using a little bit of animated masking). I have that working right now, BUT the issue is that the buttons don't work. They just act like static text. So I figured the issue was that the buttons were in the same MC as the 'p' and 'b', which meant that they were subjected to the same rollOver and rollOut actionscript as the 'p' and the 'b'. So, I took the buttons out of the 'pb' mc and put them into their own mc. The problem now is that when I roll over the 'pb' mc, if the mouse touches the text of the buttons it thinks that it's rolling out of the 'pb' mc, which causes the p and the b to retract back to their original position. This seems like such a basic thing, I just want two objects to move away when the mouse rolls over them, revealing buttons below, but i can't seem to accomplish it any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I've attatched the project file so you can tinker with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The event of button will not work if their parent movie have also event action program. The solution maybe to delete the PB event when it's open and then reset it when its close.