A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash to PHP??? i really need help

motion-stream.net

Flash to PHP??? i really need help

hi everone,
    i am trying to build up a little flash "game" where u can modify cars ... that means main movie will contain the car itself and parts like bodykits, neon, windowtint will be loaded as extern .swf's .. after the user is done with the modding he'll be able to sent the final car to to a friend (like an ecard).. now my question is there a way that the php script is sending the whole thing (main car + the extern swf's) or will it only sent the main ,., and if it wont ... is there a way to use MCs like i use those extern. swf's???? please help me out,.,

EDIT: to make it a little clearer what i mean.. it should be some thing like the Pimper from MTV
    http://www.mtv.com/onair/pimp_my_ride/game/play/

i know u people are the best ... how do i get my swf's to work together???
    Last edited by puto98; 08-10-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de

Well normally your parts swf will be on the server so when you send the car to your friend you only send an xml (for example) that contains an explaination of wich part to use. You don't have to actually send any swf and you can only send file on install game not online game.

motion-stream.net
    woooow ,.,
    u think XML is the only way out? because i have no cloue about XML ...
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de

No you can use anything you want. You just need a way to transfer the data it can be a text file or some server side script . What i'm saying is that you don't pass a swf you just pass the name of the swf.

XML is a good way to transfer data an is prety simple to use just look for an xpath engine that will help you navigate trough xml object.

There is one i have made for mx 2004 look into the help for info and use _fxml into your xml object name to get the Fxml method.

http://www.benoitmeunier.com/system_.../Fxml/Fxml.mxp

motion-stream.net
    well thanks for the hint trionik but is there some kind of tut for this... as i said ... no clue bout xml.. (and i am not proud of it ) did you see my edit on top?? the link to the MTV pimper??
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de

Well you can search for xml and flash in google or in the tutorial section here at flashkit.

motion-stream.net
    oki .. did that .. my knowledge of xml has gotten much better already ... it's not really as complicated as i thought.. but dont you think that all of this " flash creating xml and than me taking the xml to know what was done with flash" is too complicated??? i mean .. in the end i only need a pic of the car the user was modding.. like a simple screenshot :S

thanks again trionik
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de

Well then i did not understand at all i tough you want to send a car to a friend meaning that this friend would go to the site and see the car you have made. If what you want a do is send a picture of the car by email for example or just to display on the web then you need to find something that will create the image and i don't know anything about that. Once the image is create on the server then you can use php to send it by email or to create the page that would display it on the web.

I think it would be simpler to just send an xml file that say use that car with that hood and that pipe and when you receive it from your interface you could just rebuilt the car according to that file.

I'm really sorry but hey at least you learn some xml

motion-stream.net
    no.. for real .. XML rocks.. never thought flash + XML could be such a powerfull team... but anyways .. the idea behind all this was to make like a gallery of all the cars that had been made by the users ... well ,., i cant really believe that this dream is going to die ...
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de

Well its a good idea but to create a bitmap out of a flash is something i have never done. So i cannot help you there ...

But wait if what you want is a web page with all the car that you have made it can be done with xml. You just have to create a flash that built the car with the data you get from the xml that you saved while doing the car.

Do you have a graphic to show me so that i have an idea of the kind of graphik we are talking about.

motion-stream.net
    well u know what trionik .... i think i'll just think it over again ... after i played some san andreas .... thanks again for your help...
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de

motion-stream.net
    ok ,., back i am ... i hosted a beta so you can see what its gonna look like....

http://motion-stream.de/sunnycarl/
    Tommy Haacke
    www.tommy-haacke.de