A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Protecting a wireless connection, how do you setup WEP or WPA encryption?

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar

Protecting a wireless connection, how do you setup WEP or WPA encryption?

I've got one of these: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834gv2.asp

Trying to make it secure but all the information on WEP or WPA just waffles on about the pros and cons of each encrpytion type...it doesn't actually tell you HOW to setup either of them!

Just had someone bring up their laptop and they acquired my connection in seconds, no Norton warnings from my machine, no nothing I gotta do something!

Setting up either WEP or WPA is it hard to do, does it depend on what router you got or is the process the same no matter what modem/router you're using?

You have to log into your router from Firefox / IE. Try http://192.168.0.1. I think that's Netgear's default router address. From there go to your Wireless settings or "Advanced Managment." and enable WEP and set it to 128-bit encryption and come up with a key (Numbers 0-9 and letters A-F (Hex basically)). It has to be like 15 characters long or something like that.

Be warned though, you won't be able to log into the router right away, so you might want to set this up through the wired portion first, then go over to wireless. Make sure you jot down your WEP key.

- genesis f5 (mx)

Cheers fella, i'll give that a shot.

this is my setup by the way, no other machines connected so dont know whether its still classed as a "network" or not.

Ok got as far as this, what one of 2,3 or 4 would you recommend?!

--------------------------------

Security Options

1.Disable
    2.WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
    3.WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
    4.WPA-802.1x

No1 is currently selected

If security's not going to be a big issue, go with WEP, otherwise, I say WPA. WEP is just a lot easier, and as long as you go with 128-bit encryption, you should be fine. Also, don't put any words in your key. Make it random. Just open notepad, smash a hand down on the keyboard a couple times, save the file as "key" and then copy / paste about 15 characters from it into the field.

cheers mate, i went for No.3 in the end..my lucky no!

Entered a gobbledegook network key, does it change every 30 secs by itself or do you have to set that up manually. Sure I read somewhere it changes to make it more secure.

It doesn't matter... they can all be cracked anyway...

Just slap some basic protection up there to keep n00bs away

Or, you can move to the country like I do, where you have a fair idea that nobody else will be in range.

I used to use WEP but found that fairly occasionaly Windows XP Pro would lose its IP and so its connection. Now I use MAC (not Mac) address filtering instead of WEP. It makes your network slightly less flexible but more secure, and also seemed to resolve my Windows XP Pro problem.