A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Losing Clients

Losing Clients

I got an email today from another firm. They want the domain name, FTP.... for one of my clients. Even though they are an old client, they weren't a big $ maker for me and I guess I let them slide off my radar a bit over time and wasn't attentive enough to their needs.

This still pisses me off though. I need to be more vigilent I guess with all of my clients and if it's not paying, let them know or figure out a way to make it pay.

I really am trying now to automate my operations more to be more proactive with my business.

I guess I just don't have enough time to do everything I need to be doing lately to be more successful.

I need to change the way I operate...

I guess what I am saying is I need a kick in the ass or a pat on the back.

Lay it on me boys and girls.

*assumes the position

I'm the wrong person to ask, I'm about to tell all my clients to go f*ck themselves.

If you're generating new business that's more along the lines of the direction you're heading in, don't feel bad. You can't be everything to everyone all the time. If they weren't a huge cash maker for you, then it's probably best to let them go so you can spend time with someone who you'll have a better relationship with. You can't bleed yourself dry for the little ones.

Overall it just sounds like growing pains.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

here I am starving... and you're losing clients due to your lackadaisical approach to maintaining clients? it's all good if you want to sit back one day and reminisce on "how you used to have it" and go through your glory days you probably never had, but there's no real excuse why you should be dropping clients that actually are either paying customers - hell, I got two clients I keep, they're beer money clients... I make enough from them to buy beer (actually I'm giving up beer for two months) - or clients that don't annoy you to high heaven.

*rolls up newspaper*

Lazy... WHAP
    Good for nothing... STOMP

can I borrow a dollar?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

You're always gonna run into the occasional 'client from hell'. I decided it's important for me to have at least 6 hours of billable work per day. I use that 6 hours to attend to my richest clients and invite the rest to find out what it's like to deal with anyone else. Invariably, they all come back with their tail between their legs.
    "Man, we had no idea how many things could go wrong."
    "I'm sorry to hear that, oh and my rate's a little higher now." :P

Maybe you are over-booked? What do you do exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    actually I'm giving up beer for two months
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

Quote Originally Posted by indivision
    Maybe you are over-booked?
    I think I have been overbooked for the past 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by indivision
    What do you do exactly?
    Print and web site design, but mostly web development lately. I think I run into problems with the maintenance aspect of the web. My strength is in getting the client up and running, but I am weak in maintenance and followup I guess. Just seems the workload and clients I have built up over the years is catching up to me and I can't service everything.

I have tried hiring designers, but to tell you the truth I cannot afford someone good enough and I cannot manage others well.

I really want to build my own sites (dreams) and focus on them. I am getting burnt out a little too I think. I feel like I need a fresh start somehow.

I think it's time to hire a secretary/assistant again to help me get back on my feet.

Why don't you offload the maintenence stuff to gerbick, it'll take him no time and he can start drinking beer again.

since he cant get the whole up and running thing going on his sites, maby just keeping them afloat would work?

kill two birds with one stone.

and something tells me drinking mixed drinks at the rate you might drink beer, will end up costing you more in the long run
    Last edited by silverx2; 08-11-2005 at 02:35 PM.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I'm not sure what the market is like there. But, maybe you could focus on doing contract work for other firms. That way you could stick to programming development, design or whichever part you prefer and leave the maintenance to someone else. Or, maybe find another firm that will buy maintenance contracts after you get the site going.

I don't know. Those ideas are pretty obvious... there's always vacation!

camnus
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Even though they are an old client, they weren't a big $ maker for me and I guess I let them slide off my radar a bit over time and wasn't attentive enough to their needs.
    according to Philip Kotler in his "Marketing Management" (my good night read for this week) there are "unprofitable clients". banks have almost 70% of them. if they don't bring you money - they make you loose money. I say get rid of all unprofitable clients and concentrate on top 3-5, then stimulate their demand by bringing them new and interesting ideas - that way you'll be able to control the direction they're going and make all the top $$$ just by working with a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by camnus
    concentrate on top 3-5, then stimulate their demand by bringing them new and interesting ideas - that way you'll be able to control the direction they're going and make all the top $$$ just by working with a few people.
    That's really what I want to be and hopefully I am headed.

Thanks.

The Minister of No Crap

camnus has got the right idea. One year, I made most of my living from two clients.

Did you lose the client in your original post by actually ignoring them? I mean, did they email you and you didn't reply?

Quote Originally Posted by admedia

*assumes the position

he's here to put you back into shape

really though..i clients that come and go, i had to get off my ass and restructure my entire outlook on my company and how it shoudl run, hired a couple guys got a couple new jobs in and bammo, back in action.. the only thing i am missing now is a salesman (tuff to find) and 1 other design seo guy. its easy to find clients imo.. harder to keep them and keep them happy..

The Minister of No Crap

This is funny. I was just going through some old archives on my website and look what I found:

Client Tip #4: Stay in touch

Quote Originally Posted by vampstko
    its easy to find clients imo.. harder to keep them and keep them happy..
    yup, same here.

Great article nocrapchurch.
    That's the kind of kick in the ass I needed I think.
    I read through it and bookmarked it.
    I am going to check out some other stuff there too.

Thanks,
    john

btw, you have a good username. i like it and it suits you.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-11-2005 at 11:22 PM.