dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal game fps anyone?

Ideal game fps anyone?

I just wanted to know what could be the ideal fps for a game, so it doesn't appears to be slow, and so it doesn't make flash player go slow either. When I started my game, I used 120 fps, and it was really smooth and all was fine, but it soon got very laggy when I added only few stuff.

I first though I could use a mask to limit the things that gets visible, (because I have a big map the player is on) but I realized it just went more slow.
    Then I though I could decompress my .fla but I wasn't sure if that was the good thing to do.

So, I lowered a bit the fps to 60, but now everything in my game had to be doubled
    (lets say _x and _y movements speed)
    and on top of that, I have to shange the number of frames of every mc and its damn long! I tried to find a way for movieclips to automaticaly resize their number of frames, such as music clips does when we change the fps rate. Is this actually possible?

To sum it all, do you have any ideas on what fps I should be using or tips to make the game goes faster? I also thought that using less "for" loops would be a good way to speed this up.

Thanks in advance..

my x booty it is that BIG
    the average fps for game is anywhere from 30-50 you shouldnt need anything faster then that
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Well, personally I use 25 fps but that may be a bit slow 4 U. Some ways to make your game run faster are: Use images (png, jpg, etc) rather than vectorial art, cus if it has too many vertices and things it may slow down a lot the fps.
    Try not to use so large mc's.
    As you said, reduce the loops, or try to make'em the more efective way, like if you have in the player the action to check if it hits every single bullet, it would be better to put into the bullets the actions to check if hitting the player.
    Reducing the number of mc's on stage.

I guess that's all I have in mind right now. And for the conversion thing I guess there's not an option to reduce the frames when you reduce the framerate automatically, but maybe you could make some conversions through actionscript, I dunno I imagine something like this, but never tried it though:
    in the frame:
    framerate = Movie'sFrameRate;
    conv = 120 / framerate; //120 being the original framerate

then in an enterframe into the mc's:
    this.counter ++;
    this.gotoAndStop(this.counter*Math.round(_root.con v));
    if (this.counter >= this._totalframes) {
    this.gotoAndStop(1);
    this.counter = 0;
    }

As I said I've never tried that out, but I guess that should do.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

120 fps is way too much and it most likely will lag as people might have some other browser windows/programs running and it all takes away CPU cycles. As said 20-50 is quite enough and even then you usually wont get same fps when the game is played in the browser, you can expect 10-50% drop in fps.

To avoid all the troubles with frames, use time based movement and not frame beased like you currently have. Then you can easily change fps and the game still plays the same, also players wont be much affected on the fps drop. With time based game the fps drop will make movement less smooth, but everything still travels same amount of distance no matter what fps is.

31 my particular fave

doItLikeThis
    Mine's 33 from now on...
    -Aditya

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    I use about 30 fps - 40 fps... depending upon the game.

I use 24, 30 or 48fps depending of the complexity of the graphics and/or resolution.

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    i just use 25...isn't that the same speed as the human eye (the impulses from the retina apparently take 1/25th of a second)...in which case theres not much point in anything higher, is there?
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

I use 20 fps on design ... after i finish i set the fps to 25 or 30 and game becomes a lot better

This is my trick to save resources
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

I use 24 fps for both games and static crap.

i just use 25...isn't that the same speed as the human eye (the impulses from the retina apparently take 1/25th of a second)...in which case theres not much point in anything higher, is there?
    Well it's the same thing as how 160kps bitrate for MP3's is theoretically the audio threshold for the human ear, but I can still hear a difference between it and higher bitrates. Guess it all boils down to personal preference, though 120 and 60 are way, way, way too high.

25fps for me all the time, anything that doesnt run steady at that frame rate needs optimizing.

You will find if you go to 120fps or something very high that the frame rate will jump around alot from 120fps to 30fps and back again, people will not notice a difference of 3-6fps but they will notice 90fps.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumanchimp
    If you talk only about movement animation, then yes, traditionally movies use 24 frames. But when talking about games you do not only animate movement, you may have a lot of other calculations going on (for example you may want to calculate the movement and find position coordinates each frame but draw the screen only every other frame). Plus most Flash games likely drop fps when actually played.

I use 24Fps and is all fine...

i prefer 40fps

so smooth
    25 is too slow for my games

I'm somehow stuck to 25 since years... don't remember how
    But yeah, like other people said, 120 is waaaay to much, there should be work-arounds to fix your game and still make it look smooth on 25 fps. Maybe if you'd go into more depth on the contents of the game, we might be able to help you improve it.

31fps on everything.

PercyPea recently posted a really nice tip on speeding up Flash when played in a browser by using a really high ( 120 ? ) framerate.

Squize.

25-30fps

32, but I usually bump it to 36 on export, stupid slow browsers.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    Is it just me, or if you bump it up too high, does it actually sometimes slow down in the browser more, than at a lower FPS??? I could have sworn that happened to me once...
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX