A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for another phone thread

Time for another phone thread

Ok, so I had a nokia 6820 and loved it. I had it before AT&T merged with Cingular and I figured it was time to get a new contract. I get the plan set up but my phone won't work with cingular sim cards. It doesn't seem to be able to be unlocked. So I bought a crappy phone to hold me over until I can get a good one (in a week or so).

I'm looking for something that has a full keyboard that works with cingular. I'm not interested in the Blackberry or Treo, however if there were a way to get the sidekick II to work I'd do that. Any suggestions? Something that won't break easily is always a plus (rules out most flip phones).
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

FK's Official A&A Addict
    hp messenger seems a cool phone (i think it was the messenger)

i think the sidekick is a "t-mobile" only.

like the V8 Rzor is a "Cingular" only.
    Artificial Memories v0.9.2b
    "Preserving life's precious moments and making new ones"
    © 2009 MemoryCorp - A Walmart company

Allow me

Your best bet is to get a phone and have it unlocked. Since im not in US, I dont know what carrier supports what phone. First you wanna tell us if Cingular (or whatever network you're on) is GSM or CDMA. I havent really dealt with CDMA, but GSM is an easy choice...

By "full keyboard" im guessing you mean a QWERTY keypad. By order of personal recommendation, highest to lowest...
    Motorola Mpx (buy it now, its practically future proof for like another year!)
    Siemens SK65 (this is REAL cool, I've been playing with it a lot lately, the opening mechanism for the keypad is COOL as hell)
    Sony Ericsson P910i (this is too old though, wouldnt recommend it much now)

I think you'd be better off with a PDA/Phone though. Either the O2 XDA II Mini (I owned this for like two weeks), or the phone that I was in love with and still use when im bored - Motorola E680i. It runs on Linux, and its got a 312 Mhz processor, what more can you want?

</PhoneFreak>

Can't get O2's in the US dude.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

who cares what it is? its a phrikin phone. You hit numbers, *ring* *ring* talk-talk. Text messaging is the biggest leap back the techno-revolution has had. YOU HAVE A PHONE IN YOUR HANDS! CALL THE DAMN PERSON!

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    who cares what it is? its a phrikin phone. You hit numbers, *ring* *ring* talk-talk. Text messaging is the biggest leap back the techno-revolution has had. YOU HAVE A PHONE IN YOUR HANDS! CALL THE DAMN PERSON!
    I'm offended

Can you get iMate's in US instead? I'm sure you can import em in and work em if they're unlocked? :\

it'll have to be tri-band GSM most likely to be used here in the states... 850, 1900 are US, 1800 is elsewhere... IIRC.

But I don't think you can get the iMates into the states for cheap. And it's not really worth it, imho.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Im going to be getting one of these pretty soon when my contract runs out...

SE k750

Yeah, Motorola Mpx is 900/1800/1900, IMO that'd be the perfect phone. However, thats if you want to get a phone, instead of like an HTC or something...

A cool phone, that is the size of a phone and has lots of bells and whistles, you can't go wrong with either the Samsung D500 or the new Sony Ericson with 2mpx camera...

They are both great phones (Samsung as a 1.3mpx)...

The Razor looks nice, but has one of the worst cameras I've ever used, and the metal plate thats used for the key pad is incredibly flimsy and has cracked/snapped on many users phones! Don't be sucked in by the design!

Go with the Samsung or the SE...

Samsung D500 is Donkey Twaddle. Yuck. Would never get it.

Which SE are you talking about Mark?

N70 or N90 by Nokia.
    Just got the N70 .. its a gem.

2 megapixel (1600 x 1200 pixels) camera with Carl Zeiss Optics and autofocus19
    Easy to use, high quality video - capture, edit, share19
    Unique 'twist & shoot' design
    High-resolution display

link

The LG 535 is my old one and I can assure you that Ive got sooo many pictures and videos of many partys. I consider a phone like those what a pimp need.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

All cell phones are still way to lo-tech for me.
    I'm not getting a cell phone untill they come out with one that can be implanted in your head, running on a perfect global satalite network.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    Agreed. My phone costs about £30 but its amazing, i can ring people up and speak to them and they can ring me and speak to me!

If that wasn't enough to blow your mind it has a torch too

Quote Originally Posted by zakp0
    Which SE are you talking about Mark?
    I think he was refering to the SE k750i. Link in my post above.

Just get one of these bad boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellawson
    I think he was refering to the SE k750i. Link in my post above.
    Thats the one!

Whats wrong with the D500? Its a brilliant phone! BEST I've had in ages!!! And I go through phones like women change shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    The Razor looks nice, but has one of the worst cameras I've ever used, and the metal plate thats used for the key pad is incredibly flimsy and has cracked/snapped on many users phones! Don't be sucked in by the design!
    Shut up
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Ok, maybe I should have said this first, I work for Motorola at a senior level, I know my stuff

atRax, have you used the N70 or N90? For starters, you said the N70 has all those functions, but its the N90 that does. Secondly, I've used all three - N70, 90 and 91, and SE K750i's camera quality is better. I've also played with the K750 and W800 by SE, both 2MP phones, other than the weird 1632x1224 resolution, they're pretty good cameras.

Samsung D500 sucks! The number of people returning it because of its stupid opening mechanism screwing itself! And 96 MB + no expandabe memory is simply a big no. AND it doesnt have stereo speakers, AND its only 176x220 res! Not even QVGA! There's a lotta feature related things that it lacks and personally I'd never get a Samsung.

The RAZR has a pretty good VGA Camera. Motorola might have been making some of the worst 1MP cameras, but they make awesome VGA Cameras. I've owned 3 RAZR's...or 4...uhh...yeah, one of them I even chromed myself (didnt work out that well), and I havent had problems with it. Unless you're one of those crazy SMS sending machines, it shouldnt create any problems. But yeah it lacks features bigtime.

Are you guys not reading anything his post said? He wants a full keypad - QWERTY keypad. None of those phones mentioned had one, 'cept for the ones I suggested.