A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Identity Theft

Identity Theft

I just did a Google search on my name and home addy and found some pretty disgusting comments about me (of a non-sexual nature). Now, I know exactly who is responsible for the matter, but he goes to the same school as me - he used my details to buy products on the internet and never sent money to the merchant. I - foolishly - gave him the parcel when it arrived.

On this forum are things like "this guy needs a serious ass-whooping" and "he's probably some scrawny kid at home" - and also my contact details in full. I've written to the board and am waiting for a reply. Are there any other ideas as to what I should do? BTW: this case happened nearly a year ago but I only found out my identity exposure today.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation... or what would you do?

hmmm, that's odd what exactly did you type into the google search?

My first/last name will return the forum result on the second page;
    My first/last name and any word in my address will return it as the first result.

I know it's not very helpful not giving out the details here, but I don't want to have this thread popping up around Google as well.

I'm not sure as to how well this problem got resolved because I was contacted by the seller who told me he had reported me to some Anti Fraud Commission in the U.S. and that he was going to ring my parents or something. The problem is that my class'mate' used my name and address to buy the product - he said he had paid for it. Since then I haven't heard anything about it, but I want to make sure that I'm in the all clear and that my details aren't spread any further.

First of all I would contact the webmaster of the forum or site where your details are published and get them removed.
    I've written to the board and am waiting for a reply
    Edit: ok, I see you have done that. Make sure it's kinda threatning though.

You might want to take a screenshot or something first though to save as evidence.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-14-2005 at 10:18 AM.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    after the cease and desist get a laywer, because if you don't you are just not believable for the company, or you could try visiting it before you get a laywer.

why should we believe you again?

see, that's why...

Thanks guys (or gals),

luvenny: I have that exact problem right now. It's extremely difficult to prove that it isn't me - it's really just my word. I mean sure, the product that 'I' bought was completely out of the ordinary for me but this is circumstantial evidence.

I still haven't received a reply from the forum hosts but I'll wait another day before sending them anything more threatening. I'm just concerned that by using threats I'll look guilty (??).