dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: UK people, study help

sophisticated

UK people, study help

This is my last year in university. In about a year from now I'll be getting my bachelor degree in Business Administration and... and I don't know. Well the logical thing to do is to get myself an MBA, but I don't think that this is what I really want. I'd like to study arts, design, maybe even advertising or something. Well, and since there's no good education here (in Latvia) I guess I'll be heading to UK.

So, the question is:
    does anyone know any good websites I can visit to get some information on "study opportunities" in UK?

if you can also advise what program should I try that would be great.

Registered pseudo intellectual
    UCAS has some good info.

come to brighton, you'll like it. i work at this uni....
    www.sussex.ac.uk

but yeah- UCAS is the way to go for undergrad studies, but not sure they have much (anything) on postgrad studies.

i think you have to pay for some of their services (PM me if you want info which is only available with a paid account), but this is a good resource, www.naric.org.uk

sophisticated
    thanks for the links,
    they are really helpful.

Carly, I wasn't able to visit www.sussex.ac.uk from work because of the "sex" in it (proxy settings) but I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

I was actually surprised on the number of different opportunities you have there,
    wow, you can study EVERYTHING! in UK just wow.

Here's what I found so far:
    Digital media and design technologies in the University of Hull,
    then there's University of Bath and London South Bank University. This is what I've found so far, but I've just started.

Now the dillema:
    how do you tell if the university is good? you have so many of them...

I'm also surprised most of them are really cheap, only J3.000 a year. Is this normal?

Registered pseudo intellectual
    how do you tell if the university is good? you have so many of them...
    check the Guardian University Guide

Come to Dundee and do Computer Arts!

No, wait...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

FK's Official A&A Addict
    have you considered studying outside of england. Seriously you'd get a schollarship from brussels. With the new ects point system you could study everywhere in europe and transfer your points between universities.

and it's your moment to live abroad and see something else then england.

While we are at it, How difficult is it to get a further study in netherland?

Was thinking of UK, but too expensive for me, and some of my friends suggested netherland since it is relatively cheaper. is that true?! links?

thanks =)

FK's Official A&A Addict
    every dutch university has a masters degree curricullum. In holland we seperate the true universities (those that do bachelor, master and phd) from the other "schools". Look for a university and you'll get one that has a masters curricullum.

as for prices. In Holland we get a kind of scholarship (everyone who is dutch and studies at the university). However i don't know for foreign exchange students. Some universities have scholarships for those people.

the only problem is I don't fall in the "foreign exchange student" category anymore I suppose...

Mecha, i know where you're coming from. I have a BA in Business Admin, however, i don't think i got everything out of it i wanted to. I'm actually thinking about going back to school for computer programming or web development. I'm glad i have the backgorund of business, cause i can talk about marketing and management well. However, i don't see myself being a 'salesman' for the rest of my life with a Marketing degree. Do what you feel man, you'll figure it out based on what your talents are and aspirations with what you want out of life.

sophisticated
    Quote Originally Posted by justice strike
    have you considered studying outside of england. Seriously you'd get a schollarship from brussels.
    actually i thought about it, but can you study in english there? i mean i only know 4 languages (english, german, russian and latvian), but i don't want to go to germany (it's a long story), russia is way to dangerous for me (even longer story) and latvian education just suck. at this point uk is my only option, but if it's possible to get a good education in english somewhere else then i guess i should at least consider it. so, can you get a good education in english in brussels?
    Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    I have a BA in Business Admin, however, i don't think i got everything out of it i wanted to. I'm actually thinking about going back to school for computer programming or web development. I'm glad i have the backgorund of business, cause i can talk about marketing and management well. However, i don't see myself being a 'salesman' for the rest of my life with a Marketing degree.
    yeah, that's exactly how i feel. i mean i'm glad i did it, but i just hate to waste time. i'm 21 already, feels terrible. i just want to take a direction and go there, not back and forth and all the way around but to really get somewhere.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    well if i'm not mistaken everything of the master curricullum is in english (atleast at my university it is), if your eally have doubts,first find a school you want to go to and ask them the language they teach in.

for example my university website (for the faculty of computer science) is www.cs.vu.nl. They try to accomodate foreign students as best as they can (foreign students and foreign exchange students) you can have a look there. I don't know how it is for other universities, but i think ti's pretty much te same