A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Letting client update text fields

Letting client update text fields

Hello.

I'm working on a site in which my client wants a news section which they can update.

I know how to load a text file into a dynamic text field at runtime, but what I really need is a way of the client editing this text field without them having to use something as potentially complicated as dreamweaver.

What options do I have so far as software I can give my client to accomplish this?

Thanks as always

you can modify the look to how ever you want. The external text file is easily updated in Notepad.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    computers are to design, as microwaves are to cooking - Milton Glaser

Thanks for replying bucwild, and the customisable scroll bar will most definately come in useful. However, unless I'm missing something, this is not what I was after.

I can handle the loading of an external txt file fine, but what i really need is some information on creating a foolproof clientside interface so that THEY can edit the text file with little or no knowledge of backend/ftp etc

create an Admin page. Username/Password to access - then use php to save the new txt file.

well....logging into a sever and uplaoding files is about as tough as signing into an email account. The client can write whatever text they want in notepad and make sure it's saved as the correct file-name. You could show them 1 time how to upload the file.. dead easy.

But ya, if you want them to to just be able to goto a web address and edit from there, wattsup has the right idea.
    Last edited by bucwild_98; 08-15-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    computers are to design, as microwaves are to cooking - Milton Glaser

you can set up a blog. they usually have an rss feed which is xml.

so then you can learn how to load xml in flash and parse it. You'd have all the admin side solved (the blog) the only thing is you have to redo the logic in flash
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.