A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processor with sse2?

Processor with sse2?

I've been reading alot about this x86 version of os X... I don't think it exists for one, but people who have mannaged to get it running (if you belive them) all mention a processor with sse2.

What the hell is sse2?

"What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

So an AMD 64 then!

Ta darling

or SSE3....hmhm amd 64-bit 3400+...whatever shall I do with that
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Go for the X2, they're coming out with a budget 3800+ version of it.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

who you talknig too?

I have had this 3400+ for over a year now. And i just built someone a computer with an X2 cpu.

I can't wait to have a budget of my own and build a new computer...such plans...plans indeed
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yeah, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 64 anyway... But that means a new mobo/cpu cooler/possibly ram and so on...

Whats this X2 chip you mention?

Athlon 64 x2 is a dual-core version of the Athlon 64.

Manchester core is 512Kb cache per core, Toldedo is 1Mb cache per core. Benchmarks I've read say the cache size isn't a huge factor in performance compared with the 200Mhz increases in clock speed as you go up the line. Been prepping to build a new rig and I decided that's the way to go. The dual-core Pentiums that support 64-bit are power hungry even when idle, and performance-wise aren't rated as well for everyday use. From what I've read Intel is about 18 months away from answering this round from AMD.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 08-15-2005 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Athlon 64 x2 is a dual-core version of the Athlon 64.

Manchester core is 512Kb cache per core, Toldedo is 1Mb cache per core. Benchmarks I've read say the cache size isn't a huge factor in performance compared with the 200Mhz increases in clock speed as you go up the line. Been prepping to build a new rig and I decided that's the way to go. The dual-core Pentiums that support 64-bit are power hungry even when idle, and performance-wise aren't rated as well for everyday use. From what I've read Intel is about 18 months away from answering this round from AMD.
    So they're available now? (can you tell its been a while since I built a high end system!)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    I've been reading alot about this x86 version of os X... I don't think it exists for one
    It does exist and it works

I should have re phrased that... I know it exists, I'm just not a beliver of all these people that have it "running" on pc hardware...

So they're available now? (can you tell its been a while since I built a high end system!)
    Yes. It's been awhile for me too but I've been reading up.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Yes. It's been awhile for me too but I've been reading up.
    Swot! Just deciding which motherboard to go for... those Asus Eye jobbies look nice

I even went to the UK section of the site for you.

This puppy has been getting great reviews, and I'm pretty sure it's what Alienware uses on theirs.

Fanless as well! I love you! Now if you could just find a place I can order them from...

Wow! The cheapest athlon 64 x2 chip is £374!! Thats $676.477 USD!!!

Crikey, I was gunna spend £200 max on the processor!

You don't love me. You're just using me for my brain. I'm not some mental-whore you know, I have needs too.

*cries*

Wow! The cheapest athlon 64 x2 chip is £374!! Thats $676.477 USD!!!

Crikey, I was gunna spend £200 max on the processor!
    There's an x2 3800+ coming out real soon, might even be out now, that's supposed to fill the low-cost gap in that product line.

But, if you say you're gonna build a high-end system...time to pony up. I think if you built a solid system around this CPU/motherboard combo, it'll hold you for a good long time.

The system parts i just orded yesturday was an Asus A8N Deluxe with AMD X2 4200+ combo from newegg for $660 something.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any combination of Athlon x2 and Asus's A8N boards that support them.