A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world may be running out of oil but don't worry, thares unlimited hydrogen!

The world may be running out of oil but don't worry, thares unlimited hydrogen!

Someone posted a thread about the world running out of oil so I thought i would post something about hydrogen. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and the tenth most abundant element on Earth, also hydrogen is renewable and its only by-product is water. They already have cars running on hydrogen like BMW's H2R. You can read about it at http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bmw-h2r1.htm
    Also I just herd on the news that someone but extra batteries in his hybrid and got 250 miles to the gallon!
    It’s just a matter of time b4 hydrogen cars are affordable and hydrogen pumping stations are available.

More links on hydrogen

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hydrogen-economy.htm
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-processor.htm
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

Where did they already put a hydrogen station...was it Ireland?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Iceland. There's another in California by now... and one more somewhere else.

Problem though... that's assuming that we don't run out of water... watch. That's the next resource to become limited/rare... it's already in small supplies of what's drinkable already in some countries.

now that's a whole 'nother rant. I think I started that one years ago... or was that Hurricaneone?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

and to think jesus wastedall that water to make wine, what an alcholoic bastard.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Currently there is not an economical way to produce enough hydrogen to offset oil.
    I imagine that will change in the coming decades.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    ...water... watch. That's the next resource to become limited/rare... it's already in small supplies of what's drinkable already in some countries.
    Pah - Drink your own pee - that's what NASA does...
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

even though I knew about that...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

it was me gerbs! - in fact, i always bring it up when someone mentions that we might run out of precious oil. read up on The Ogallala Aquifer Depletion, it will freak you out. we consume a lot of water, and WASTE even more. the end of oil may be the end of the world as we know it, but the end of fresh water is the end of the world PERIOD. this is freaky stuff - even vonnegut wrote about the end of water in his own, special way.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Everytime I hear the name Vonnegut, all I can think of is that great scene in Back to School (Dangerfield) where Vonnegut comes to the door to help him with his Vonnegut term paper... "Hi, I'm Kurt Vonnegut..."

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

he's from my hometown - i've read every book of his at least twice...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Hydrogen is not a godsend. Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to produce pure hydrogen?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Hydrogen is not a godsend. Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to produce pure hydrogen?
    depends on the technology used. With advances in bio-nanotech it should be really cheap to produce large amounts in the next few decades.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I would be impressed if we pulled that off. Not saying we can't, but we're a looooooooong way off from being able to do it.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

I would be impressed if we pulled that off. Not saying we can't, but we're a looooooooong way off from being able to do it.
    already have the algea.

In another thread, I mentioned that they make all the hydrogen for rocket launches from Edwards AFB at Hoover dam. They can't just shut down a dam at night when there is far less electrical use than daytime, where it all goes into the grid. So at night, they use the power to make hydrogen.

Also, the same applies to nuclear generationg stations. They can't just turn it on and off that easy, so the poewer is essentially wasted at night, when the usage drops. And they can make a lot more nuke stations than we have right now to produce hydrogen if needed. And we do need it.

You can't tell me that if the US wasn't bogged down with politicians pocketing huge amounts of money from oil lobbyists that we couldn't go hydrogen in a couple of years. We went from a complete depression in 1939 to the worlds top manufacturing producer of war material in just a couple of years. This ought to be easy by comparison. We know the technology, it's already there. All we have to do is do it.

And I don't know about you guys, but I'm already fed up with $2.50 a gallon and more for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    You can't tell me that if the US wasn't bogged down with politicians pocketing huge amounts of money from oil lobbyists that we couldn't go hydrogen in a couple of years.
    Well, more than a couple of years. But you can't tell me you have a good plan for getting rid of the career politicians we have nowadays and the grip that private industries have on our government. If you do, I'd like to hear it.

We went from a complete depression in 1939 to the worlds top manufacturing producer of war material in just a couple of years. This ought to be easy by comparison. We know the technology, it's already there. All we have to do is do it.
    I don't think this country is capable of that anymore. We import and outsource everything. I wouldn't count on the auto makers in Detroit to do anything until they wake up and realize they're living in the past. As long as the guys on top stay rich, they don't care. On top of that we'd need manufacturing capability and skill, which we rely on China for. Maybe if we stopped sending our raw materials over there...

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    and to think jesus wastedall that water to make wine, what an alcholoic bastard.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! gorgeous!
    hello.

But you can't tell me you have a good plan for getting rid of the career politicians we have nowadays and the grip that private industries have on our government. If you do, I'd like to hear it.
    It's called the vote. That's all it would take. Vote for someone with the vision to help the people who voted him in, instead of someone rich who just wants to make himself and his cronies richer at the expense of everyone else.

And then, there is always the revolt if that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    In another thread, I mentioned that they make all the hydrogen for rocket launches from Edwards AFB at Hoover dam. They can't just shut down a dam at night when there is far less electrical use than daytime, where it all goes into the grid. So at night, they use the power to make hydrogen.

Also, the same applies to nuclear generationg stations. They can't just turn it on and off that easy, so the poewer is essentially wasted at night, when the usage drops. And they can make a lot more nuke stations than we have right now to produce hydrogen if needed. And we do need it.
    I think nuke accounts for 25% of the u.s. electricity. Hydro maybe 10 at the most. 50% is coal and the rest is oil. WIth coal and oil you can indeed turn it on and off. With coal and oil you put more into producing H then you get out of it. So that leaves Hydro and nuke... which really isn't a significant amount. Perhaps that H could be used in city fleets... but it won't replace consumers need for oil.

The biggest way to cut oil use would be by the people being more efficient. Switching to diesel cars, using solar or wind power for your home, etc.

i had the idea to use hydrogen and oxygen as a fuel source when i was in the 5th grade.
    now i see the rest of the world is finally catching up.
    we will eventually have motors that can run off the hydrogen and oxygen right outta the air
    Last edited by random25; 08-17-2005 at 04:26 PM.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan