A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THANK YOU and invitation for everybody.

THANK YOU and invitation for everybody.

First of all, just want to thank you wonderful people for support you are providing to us. Without you I have no clue where would I be today...

Second thing, I just want to invite all of you to take a look at my new personal page (there is a loooooot of stuff up there). I've been working very hard last 6 weeks on it, and also I included a nice Guestbook, so you all can add some inputs if you want...

I want to thank to everybody in this forum who unselfishly helped with their advices, and I gave all necessary credits to FlashKit inside my "Credits" section...

Here is a link:
    ::: Visit MY WEB SITE :::

Note: Recommended resolution - at least 1024x768 pixels (Flash player v7 required, if you have any older version you have to update your flash player... there is a link on my splash page)

Just wanna add that I am not that proficient in Actionscript, so please forgive me for anything that you may find that there is some better way to do it... I'm still learning.

Thanks again and have a wondeful day everybody !
    Regards !
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site

cool very nice site

Thank you very much, you're too kind !

I just want as many people as possible to see it and to tell me what they think and what can be improved... because, we all tend to perfect, right ? Although it's impossible, but still, there is always some room for improvements especially 'cause we learn till the day we die.

Cheers !
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

Hi,

Nice job. Very well organized, easy to navigate and some interesting transition effects. The load time was almost instant on a cable modem connection using an old 800mghz duron processor with 256k ram. However, on this dinosaur, I still use 800 x 600 res so scrolling was necessary, but you do point out that the sight is best viewed at a larger size. The only suggested improvement is to make your logo more readable after entering the site. There is room at the top to indicate where the user is and who's website it is. I left the page open for awhile while surfing, and when I returned, I couldn't remember where or why I had it open. A more dominant logo would help in branding that name for users to remember just by looking at the site. With that said, your design is very appealing. Nice work!

Regards
    NTD

Hello NTD, and thank for your valuable input... I really like when I hear about the things that can be improved, and that makes my work even more interesting... I am in designing business more than 17 years by now, but every single day, there is something else, something new to improve.

I'm just affraid I don't follow you in your previous reply, so I'm gonna ask you to explain it a little bit more if possible... I understood everything regarding my logo (trademark) and stuff like that, but the only thing that bothers me is the lack of the free room on my page. As you already noticed, I had to go with larger scene to be able to make everything nice and smooth looking, and I'm really sorry because all those who still uses lower resolutions are unable to see that page, "all in one", but rather they have to scroll it horizontaly and/or vertically... the good thing is, there is F11 function key (shortcut) in IE, so you can make a visible area a little bit larger. Not quite of help, but I still think it's better than in original IE's state (smaller window).

I just wonder if you can give some directions, what did you mean when you said: "There is room at the top to indicate where the user is and who's website it is..." ?

Did you mean, just to put some static logo or something somewhere up there (to be visible all the time), or you think I should put something like topic for each section (although that would be quite some additional job to go through everything all over again), so visitors will know where they are... but I think they can realize that as soon as they see the contents of the current window. Everything is already overcrowded, and I just didn't want to make it even more confusing in some sections... also voice is announcing entering each section as well.

See here:

Please, if you have some time, just point me where is the location that you think I should go with the logo... I pointed with those "red-yellow" arrows to show that those places are already being used for some panels and animations, and I just don't know how everything would look like if one thing goes over another...

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input NTD !
    Regards !

Very Sweet Site!!! I love it!! What program did you use for the Voice? that is cool!!

Hey wattsup, thanks for the input !

Well, I never managed to find any good freeware voice producing application, but I'm sure there must be some good tools out there (if someone knows anything, please yell ).

Usually, I use this online service by AT&T... it's some kind of pilot program or something, and it produces speach after you enter something... bad thing is that it's capable to produce voices just up to 22khz... although, that's quite enough for reproduction of human voice. I'm sure Pro version (paid for) should give much higher sound quality...

Sounds are not that polished, but I use my CoolEdit to clean everything and to add some special effects (reverb, echo, Flanger, phaser etc.)

Here is the link:
    ::: AT&T NATURAL VOICES DEMO :::

Regards !

Great, amazing, fantastic site. 1 thing, its kind of hard to find the go back 2 main page
    button.

Where did you get that cool font! I always wanted to know where people get thos cool looking digital fonts.

Freshly

Thanks for the information!!! Remember seeing that site back when I had Pentuim 1 ...lol

Excellent work !! Very nicely done. The only thing that I can see is that you've got some grammatical errors in your text, but then I assume English is not your native language . I would suggest that you try to clear it up though, since you have chosen to write it in English, and you're soliciting work, good grammar makes a good impression

Quote Originally Posted by freshly
    Great, amazing, fantastic site. 1 thing, its kind of hard to find the go back 2 main page
    button.

Where did you get that cool font! I always wanted to know where people get thos cool looking digital fonts.

Freshly
    Go back button ? You mean inside the Graphic Gallery page ? It's down there, bottom left corner... I'll see to make it little bit more noticeable... thanks !

All the info regarding those fonts can be found inside the CREDITS section, so click on Credits icon (bottom right corner) and go throught that text... there is a non-clickable link for the site where you can get those fonts completely free of charge. Author will send you few examples for free...

LadynRed wrote:
    Excellent work !! Very nicely done. The only thing that I can see is that you've got some grammatical errors in your text, but then I assume English is not your native language . I would suggest that you try to clear it up though, since you have chosen to write it in English, and you're soliciting work, good grammar makes a good impression
    Thanks for your opinion I really appreciate it... yes, English is not my native language, and worst of all I have never had any chance to learn that language in school (option was German or Russian), so I had to learn it the hard way... now I live in Canada, and I'll try to improve it... anyway, I don't think that should be such a huge problem... I mean, I can easily communicate in 4 different languages, so I think that's what counts... since then, I really have no body to help me with those errors... The other thing... I'm not trying to sell anything on that page... that page is just my personal presentation, something like portfolio or something... I never really did anything for money, although maybe I really should start...

Cheers !
    Last edited by Thankful; 08-19-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Hi,

The only thing I meant in my post was about branding. Make it easier for someone just passing by to remember you. The sections are pretty self explanatory and dont really need a title, but that is up to your artistic design. You have a small logo at the top that is your name. Just make that a bit larger or add an artistic website logo at the top to show the user the name of the site. Dealing with browser resolution has become quite the topic as of late. I saw a poll sometime back that asked what browser resolution you used. Believe it or not, the most common reply was 800 x 600 but with new monitors many people use a larger resolution size. Coding for this can be problematic. You have two choices. You can not worry about it and let the user decide what resolution to view the site at, or you can use a javascript detection script to determine the users resolution and load a correctly sized movie. The second method involves more work but will customize your site to meet all browser resolution sizes. Still, all in all........ a very well done site.

Regards
    NTD

I know... regarding resolutions, that's a really "touchy" task... but can't please everyone, that's the fact. I also work as computer technician and I maintenance computer/network systems for few largest steel companies in Ontario. Each company has more than 300 PC systems, some of them are still on Windows 98, but none of them uses below 1024x768 pixels.... of course that doesn't mean anything, but still with these new monitors, higher resolutions becomes common thing.

I have LCD TFT 17" monitor and best possible resolution (recommended by the manufacturer) is 1280x1024 pixels. That's the resolution I'm using. Especially 'cause sometimes I have more than 5-9 huge gfx and/or sound producing related applications, open in the same time... I really need more space to be able to work, and that's the only reason I really like those high resolutions... Especially these LCD monitors, lower resolutions looks like crap on them, and that's totally understandable if you take everything in consideration (technology and all other stuff). This is how my screen looks like when I open my site:

Of course I shrinked that picture, but I just wanted to show black/grey background, which you can't see if you use 800x600 pixels resolution. I specifically wanted that background, and that would be very, very difficult to accomplish with 800x600... I would have to resize (shrink) my main Flash scene almost to half of the original size... and then, I couldn't do anything with that small scene...

Yes, resolutions are always problems... million of different computers, million of different resolutions... At least, I am very glad site works properly in all browsers, even those in Linux, and also Mac's browsers. The biggest problem I had is because we all know that IE can't properly show PNG's transparent channel. It always shows some gray square instead of trasparency. Firefox and all other browsers work fine, but I've read Micrososft also admited that their IE has some issues with PNGs. If you noticed, around the main flash window, there is something like shadow. All that is actually HTML with transparent PNGs. I managed to force IE to show PNGs properly with transparent channel... there is something like Javascript code that will allow you to do that even in IE. And I am glad it works... for Firefox and other browsers, you don't need anything extra... just put your PNG inside your HTML and it works immediatelly...

Cheers !

Benchmark!

Well, for someone who's learned English the hard way, you've done remarkably well Four languages.. wow.. but then we Americans don't emphasize other languages in school the way most other countries do. I took French and learned some Spanish from my Ex, but I'm not fluent in either of them.

Since the site really is acting as your portfolio, then how its written is still important. Speaking 4 languages is impressive, but any potential clients are going to read what you've written on your site before they talk to you

If you'd like some help with the grammar, I'd be happy to assist

Thank you and this is very generous of you... unbelievable ! Is there anyone that is not nice and polite like you people in this forum ? This is just unbelievable !

Thank you for everything I really appreciate your offer... can't find such a nice people every day and everywhere. Really amazing !

Well, I really don't wanna bother you with these things, and I'm sure you also have some other responsibilities, but certainly, this is unbelievable help... you already helped me just by offering such a great help. However, if you have some spare time sometimes soon, I will be very happy to hear which parts of my text (and there is really a lot of text over there ) are particularly in bad shape... On my web site, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a mail section (wonderful PHP mail form), so you can contact me that way. When little sliding panel slides down on the left side of the screen, just click on Envelope icon and another (PHP) mail panel will show up... From there, I'm sure you'll know what to do...

Thanks again !
    Regards !

SICK site..the time and effort you gave to details and functionality have paid off..and it shows. Top notch..

Thanks for the opinion... it really means a lot to me when I hear something like that from Pros like you guys...

I am really not that proficient in Actionscript, and most of my creations includes a lot of animations... I am familiar with basic Actionscript stuff, but when I want to make something that I just don't know how to do that, then I ask in this forum where everyone is always unbelievably helpful. Thank you people...

I also have to say, that I learned a lot of stuff since the day I came in here for the first time.

@Melvin (m_lardenoye) - thank you for your input in my Guestbook. I also checked your web site and I was blown away as well with your creativity and such a wonderful sense of sharp and "fast" design. Everything works perfect, and I also enjoyed all those sound themes up there. Brilliant !

I just don't know what to say... I am really honoured to have your inputs in my Guestbook guys and girls !

Thanks a million !

Quote Originally Posted by NTD
    Hi,

The only thing I meant in my post was about branding. Make it easier for someone just passing by to remember you. The sections are pretty self explanatory and dont really need a title, but that is up to your artistic design. You have a small logo at the top that is your name. Just make that a bit larger or add an artistic website logo at the top to show the user the name of the site...
    OK, I did some slight change... so please look at it again... top left corner. Didn't want to go with larger font, but I added my logo and few little details, and IMHO it really looks better now...

Thanks !

Your recommendations are always welcome !

Quote Originally Posted by freshly
    Great, amazing, fantastic site. 1 thing, its kind of hard to find the go back 2 main page button.
    Freshly

Hello Freshly my Toronto neighbour

Check my GFX gallery again... I changed the BACK to MAIN page button... it should be much more noticeable now I believe.

Thanks for your suggestion !

Quick preview (elastic button):

And also, on the same screenshot NTD can see how I added my logo in the top left corner...

Regards !