A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my desktop got fried in a storm last night

my desktop got fried in a storm last night

lightening got it, despite the surge protector. man, i am totally bummed. it won't even power on - when i plug in the power cable, the only thing that happens is the LED glows at about half power....nothing. man. my laptop died 5 days ago, so in one swift kick the groin i have zero working computers at home! anyway, i've got a freind looking at it...hopefully it's just the power supply. if it's the motherboard, i at least hope my hard drives are ok. i'm fully backed up EXCEPT for 33 gigs of .mp3s. dayum.

so, i get a new desky and lappy...woohoo!
    the wife will love this with a baby on the way and all...

</vent>

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I somehow managed to wipe out an entire hard drive while re-installing Windows last night, where I kept at least 10 gigs of data I don't have backed up

I almost cried.

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    lightening got it, despite the surge protector....
    </vent>

Look at the back of the package or go to a Business Depot to find it. They are suppose to refund to whole thing. Print out the weather condition whit the SKU and send it by mail whit the receipt of ya monitor.

They gonna call you and in 2 weeks you got a cheque in your mail.

Done it this winter.. its prety fast!
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Ah sorry dude, that blows. If you have a good PSU, the rest of your components should be safe. Take it to a repair shop and ask them to swap in a new one to try it out before you guy buying anything.

As long as your hard disks are ok you're fine.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

nordy i have everything here on a surge protecter coming off a battery back up that is plugged into a surge protecter going tothe wall.. a bit much maybe.. but when it starts storimin out.. my computers never flicker

vamps, the battery backup is going to give you all the protection you could ever ask for (if it's a decent one.) The rest is just a fire hazard.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

well you probable are very right.. but i also need them to plug into since the outlet is on another wall.. haven't had a chance to wire the place up..so lots of surge protectors

You should really get it done right, just to be safe.

I can still 1-up you.

My boss used to store a Honda generator, with gas in the tank, in an unused office here. Our power cuts out a lot during the summer because of the crappy grid we're on. As soon as it blinks, he wheels the generator outside the front door of the building and fires it up, then runs an extension cord all the way back to the server room.

The dumbass doesn't get that I don't work on a laptop, so this does me no good unless we daisy-chain 4-5 extension cords, some using 3-prong to 2-prong adapters. He claims we save 10 minutes normally spent on booting the servers.

He didn't get rid of it until I pointed out that keeping it in an enclosed space was a fire hazard, and you could smell the gas in the hallway.

if you have a modem in the computer pull it out and see if it will boot up.

every year during the spring a few years back we would get 15-30 computers in after storms and it was always the modem got zapped through the phone line and caused it to short out. remove the modem and it was peachy.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

yeah, i've heard that you really need the battery backup AND the surge protector to really be safe. i usually just unplug everything when a storm like this hits (a near strike every 5 seconds...it was INTENSE). oh well, just keeping my fingers crossed on the hard drives....

still not sure if it came in via the PSU or the network cable...if it's the network cable, my mobo is surely toast. it all looked and smelled fine, so i'm hoping it's just the PSU.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    You should really get it done right, just to be safe.

My boss used to store a Honda generator,...
    thats funny..atleast he didn't wheel it into your office

i plan on getting it done ..but i got upgrade my electrical panel first and thats the expensive part

Hola! Most surge protectors have insurance with them... if they fail, they pay for your machines!

Like this one has "Lifetime £25,000 Connected Equipment Warranty to insure protection for your connected equipment and give you peace of mind"

So maybe you don't need to pay for anything!

Couple years ago, lightning hit a tree right outside. The lights didn't flicker or anything, but the EMP scrambled half the files on the hard drive. Made my hair stand on end.

And then I got out the trowel and cleaned out my shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    And then I got out the trowel and cleaned out my shorts.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ohhh that sucks. Thats my worst fear. When ever a thunderstrom gets even close I run around the house and unplug all the computers and TV's and anything I fear lozeing. If I could I would unplug my entire house.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Take it to a repair shop and ask them to swap in a new one to try it out before you guy buying anything.
    Take it to a repair shop!?!?!?!?! Learn to do it yourself, dont waste money on a repair shop.
    Last edited by BlackCow237; 08-19-2005 at 06:10 AM.
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCow237
    Ohhh that sucks. Thats my worst fear. When ever a thunderstrom gets even close I run around the house and unplug all the computers and TV's and anything I fear lozeing. If I could I would unplug my entire house.

Take it to a repair shop!?!?!?!?! Learn to do it yourself, dont waste money on a repair shop.
    Mains box, pull out all the fuses...

my buddy got into it last night, and my mobo is cooked.
    the hard drives are both OK, thank gawd!

the good news is i get to order a new machine with my company's plan (50% off of anyting upto $5000)
    anybody need anything?

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    my buddy got into it last night, and my mobo is cooked.
    the hard drives are both OK, thank gawd!

the good news is i get to order a new machine with my company's plan (50% off of anyting upto $5000)
    anybody need anything?
    Now that you mention it, I'm in the market for a new motherboard and an AMD64 chip

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCow237
    Yes, but if you're nice to them, they let you borrow a bench power supply for a few minutes to see if that's what the problem is before you run out and buy one.

nords: 3 words: Alienware Aurora 7500. You can get a nice dual-core athlon 64 system for under 4k if you cut out the extras for gamers.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 08-19-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Alienware is bloated garbage!
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna