A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macromedia Standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macromedia Standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to say that ... as a flash developer, i really aprecciate it and i really like all the changes in flash 8, but....where the f+ck does the standars come?

AS is great...but.......its weird...same for lingo..its extremely weird. I mean...there should be standards for creating this and that...but no.... you need to create your movie in AS, ahh...but if like to maipulate it from javascript, you need to use a different name for the built in AS functions. What about the <object> and <embed> tags used to place a swf movie in a browser?????? are they easy??? comprensible?????

What about freehand and its weird gui?, why lingo differs that much from c++ or java or something like that. It sucks, i have 8 years programming and i can still understand lingo very well, i have to use my memory instead of my ideas. That comes for all macromedia. Objections? Ideas? Opinions?
    ---Seth Illgard---

I forgot to add..........does anybody remember the button event on(release). Why does the button compunent uses on(click)???????????????!!!!!!!!!

arrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

What changes about this messy thing will bring studio 8?
    ---Seth Illgard---

ActionScript 2.0 is based on ECMAScript-262 - doesn't get more standard than that.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Also, in my humble opinion, if you don't understand why they dispatch a click event instead of using native button handlers, you shouldn't be calling it a messy thing.

can you tell me why they did it?
    ---Seth Illgard---

Quote Originally Posted by seth_illgard
    can you tell me why they did it?
    What is standard to you? AS is far from non-standard. Dispatching a "click" event is more standards compliant. After learning AS, modifying and creating my own javascript code was so easy. Good thing MM decided to make AS as standard as the ECMAScript-262 standards. Not sure how you can compare to lingo either, lingo is just plain wierd. Hence the switch to javascript syntax in director 2004.

The button component is a movieclip not a button.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Im not trying to say that macromedia's AS is bad. It is great, but I thing that the tools for web development have to make a convention for standard issues. I really hate the way you insert a swf into a html page. I dont like CSS either. I think that all web development has to be re-designed using more comprensible and universal mode of programming. Not only macromedia, but all the web system. That should start with a convention, then the browsers, then the applications like flash. AS of course has its black points like getURL, fscommand, sharedObject, etc. that functions dont do what i would thought only knowing their name. That is what im talking about. Components? Sure are grreat....but.....are we supposed to control them more efficently?. Director?...well javascript is great...but...I cant pass flash messagges to director using java. Freehand....what about that weid gui?. Macromedia should fix this, including the whole way a swf movie communicates with a browser(javascript and VBScript). I found 3 bugs comunicating flash with javascript. And i really hate the way you do that
    ---Seth Illgard---

FK Slacker
    So basically your point seems to be that the entire Internet should be redesigned from the ground up...and it's all Macromedia's fault...

K.

HAHAHAHA

Am I that bad????!!!!!
    ---Seth Illgard---

I want to agree with you, but I don't know if I can right now. I once thought like you and to tell you the truth I just left that thought in the past. I would have loved to program everything using ActionScript from web pages, server sockets, server-side applications, etc, but that is not how it is. Everything needs its own set of syntax to modify specific aspects of an environment such as HTML or C++.

Maybe that's not what you meant huh? Well as far as being able to communicate with different web applications, Flash can execute JavaScript in HTML, Flash can get data from server-side scripts, Flash will soon be able to call external functions such as those in C++ or Java, and all applications in some way can exchange data with different applications running in different environments.

I will stop, I am not getting anywhere. I got to go. Oh yeah, hope that helped.

I depends on where you come from I guess. I don't think it was Gary Grossmans goal to make AS based on a standard originally (unless you count lingo). But over time it was clear standard schemes were needed. Moock's book ASDG 2nd ed. there is a great appendix listing all deviations from javascript. Most are for backwards compatibility.

Others appear to be simply unresolved issues. There is an undocumented #strict pragma that attempted to adhere to ECMAScript-262, but it crashes IE in windows

I learned AS first, so I like the fact that quotes are interchangable and that you can declare a variable the first time you use it.

I can see why peeps with a C++ background would hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    So basically your point seems to be that the entire Internet should be redesigned from the ground up...and it's all Macromedia's fault...
    To add... Should be redesigned from the ground up because he doesn't like it.

Your view on all of this, I think, is myopic. It sounds like you're facing difficulty in learning new tools. The fact of the matter is that CSS doesn't have a vector renderer and Flash can't do 3D like Director. In a world where people are free to create what they believe are tools to solve problems, they are entitled their own opinions on how their tools are to be used. I don't think you'll get any sympathy from people here who've spent years honing their skills with what you think should be replaced with one be all, end all solution that meets your criteria. Sorry.

BTW, CSS is wonderful. It IS a real attempt to make the internet more standard across all browsers. You contridict your self, you want things to be more standard, yet you don't like what is actually an attempt to do just that.

Actionscript 3, postproduction georgecalgary's Avatar
    I have background with ASM, C, C++, Java, Shell, CShell, BShell, Perl....

To ask what standard is? I don't know... You could check IETF standards and drafts, so many and many...

But I like C and Java syntax more....

Just to note: I am not belittling any tool or language.

I'm a software engineer!

Thumbs down

I'll gladly belittle ActionScript. Whoever at Macromedia said "lets use javascript" when asked how to implement AS in flash should have been laughed out of the room. Flash should use a compiled language as its base - javascript is way to unreliable to be building an application off of. It is rediculous that you have to specifically wait for a movie to load for example, before the next line of code is run. I like working in Flash because you can do some really neat things, but it is very unfotunate that we are forced to code in a scripting language - javascript is not meant to be a standalone language.

To that first post, I would say that Javascript is just as dumb. Before learning it I was wondering what the heck onBlur was. Oh, it's when the mouse is off...why didn't they just say onUnFocus or onMouseOut like flash...lol.
    Play Intimate Tonight!
    Check it out here

Quote Originally Posted by ThugDoubt
    I'll gladly belittle ActionScript. Whoever at Macromedia said "lets use javascript" when asked how to implement AS in flash should have been laughed out of the room. Flash should use a compiled language as its base - javascript is way to unreliable to be building an application off of. It is rediculous that you have to specifically wait for a movie to load for example, before the next line of code is run. I like working in Flash because you can do some really neat things, but it is very unfotunate that we are forced to code in a scripting language - javascript is not meant to be a standalone language.
    You have valid points, yet for where Flash is inteded, AS gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by andross_88
    I want to agree with you, but I don't know if I can right now. I once thought like you and to tell you the truth I just left that thought in the past. I would have loved to program everything using ActionScript from web pages, server sockets, server-side applications, etc, but that is not how it is. Everything needs its own set of syntax to modify specific aspects of an environment such as HTML or C++.

Maybe that's not what you meant huh? Well as far as being able to communicate with different web applications, Flash can execute JavaScript in HTML, Flash can get data from server-side scripts, Flash will soon be able to call external functions such as those in C++ or Java, and all applications in some way can exchange data with different applications running in different environments.

I will stop, I am not getting anywhere. I got to go. Oh yeah, hope that helped.
    Yeah, thats why i meant. Im writing a schoolwork about this. i dont blame macromedia for the inconsistences ( I would blame microsoft and IE inconsistences first), its simply human nature, just look at our languages (irregular verbs, irregular pronouns, etc). But I think that because this is science, and its supposed to be universal, we should re-define our irregularities to create a universal mode of programming. I also noticed this kind of things in math where f(x)^(-1) != 1/(f(x)). (This is precalculus).

!= means not equal for my example above
    Last edited by seth_illgard; 08-26-2005 at 10:57 PM.
    ---Seth Illgard---