A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any one get advanced web design magazine?

aidanmack.co.uk

Any one get advanced web design magazine?

Hi Guys,
    Just on the off chance. did any one buy a copy of advanced web design?
    Been trying to do this cool portfolio database. a php script pulls data from sql in to a flash file. I have done exactly as it says and i have got it to pull text in but for the life of me i caunt get the the images to work. its supposed either put i jpg or swf in to small viewing window that appears.
    If u click browse untill you get to aidans test this points to an image in my root and it seem to load but just doesnt display. and ideas?
    http://www.aidanmack.co.uk/porfolio.htm
    thanks aidan

aidanmack,

you're not crazy. i'm having the exact same problem. just to see if it was an error in my php script, i made a text file and gave the variables all of the info so that i could test the page locally. what's weird is that working on my computer, the flash preview works. and when i browse to my local copy of the html page containing the flash file, it works fine from there too...

i upload the testing files to my server, using the exact same directory structure and everything and it doesn't work. the only thing i can think of would be that the variables being loaded into the file are a little slow, therefore flash is trying to find "undefined.jpg" but according to the flash help, c.onLoad = showContent keeps the "showContent" function from being ran until all the variables have loaded completely. so please let me know if you figure anything out, and i'll keep working on it and i'll do the same

aidanmack.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkiesch
    aidanmack,

you're not crazy. i'm having the exact same problem. just to see if it was an error in my php script, i made a text file and gave the variables all of the info so that i could test the page locally. what's weird is that working on my computer, the flash preview works. and when i browse to my local copy of the html page containing the flash file, it works fine from there too...

i upload the testing files to my server, using the exact same directory structure and everything and it doesn't work. the only thing i can think of would be that the variables being loaded into the file are a little slow, therefore flash is trying to find "undefined.jpg" but according to the flash help, c.onLoad = showContent keeps the "showContent" function from being ran until all the variables have loaded completely. so please let me know if you figure anything out, and i'll keep working on it and i'll do the same

Are you doing the exact same tutorial as me?
    To be onist m8 after a lot of fannying around with it today i how narrowed it down to a problem with the php attempting to get a file size

if u put a number in instead of windowwidth then it works! thing is though I really need that php to resize to however big my work is! doh.

go look at
    http://www.aidanmack.co.uk/porfolio.htm
    again
    and browse until you come across "aidans test test test" and click view. it should display an image.

i am basing a tutorial on the exact same project as you are, but i am not copying it word for word. i'm pretty sure it's not the php though, because i re-wrote the same script without php, just putting variables in a text file and i get the same results. it's buggin the crap out of me to be honest. it almost seems like it could be a server issue, but i don't know how that could be possible.

here's the file i'm working with click here

here's a very basic version of the actionscript i'm using to test it:
    Code:
    // create object to store container paths
    var photos:Object = new Object();
    photos.path1 = this.photo1;
    photos.path2 = this.photo2;
    photos.path3 = this.photo3;
    photos.path4 = this.photo4;
    photos.path5 = this.photo5;
    photos.path6 = this.photo6;

// function for displaying the photos
    function showPhotos() {
    	for(i=1; i<=6; i++) {
    		imgURL = '/public_html/main/'+this['pic'+i]+'.jpg';
    		photos['path'+i].loadMovie(imgURL);
    	}
    }

//create new LoadVars object
    var gal = new LoadVars();
    gal.onLoad = showPhotos;
    gal.sendAndLoad('/public_html/main/gallery.txt', gal, 'POST');
    best of luck. please let me know if you find anything.

hey friend,

just for kicks, replace:
    Code:
    c.sendAndLoad("db.php", c, "POST");
    with
    Code:
    c.load("db.php");
    from step 14 in the magazine.

make sure you can still undo it once you've tested it. while this works for what i need it to do, it might cause some other parts of your site to not function correctly. if the images do show up however, then i'm about 99% sure that i know the cause of the problem. just let me know

peace

Has anyone got the full code for this? I didn't know about that tutorial and it sounds pretty interesting. Can I still buy the mag in the UK?

aidanmack.co.uk
    you might be lucky chris,
    I got it from whsmith for £15, but its well worth. Has some fantastic tutorials on flash/dreamweaver/illustrator/photoshop.
    Loads to learn!
    If you get stuck finding it and if I get a spear mo i might scan this tutorial infor ya....
    as long as u can help us two! lol

Thanks Aidan, I'd really appreciate that if I can't find it later.
    My flash knowledge is good but a little rusty so I'd like to get up to speed again. Thankfully my advanced PHP skills help

aidanmack.co.uk
    Great stuff chris,
    I have it with me at work so if i get chance at lunch will send it to u is it chris@subflex.com?
    Well im ok at flash but havent a clue with php!
    I have found that if i put a real file size into the php instead of it going off to find it,
    it does actually work. as i said you can see it working at... http://www.aidanmack.co.uk/porfolio.htm

But we really need it to resize to however big the image/swf is.

That would be perfect
    Once I get an idea of what's going on, I'm pretty good at diagnosing and fixing problems and completely altering the script!

aidanmack.co.uk
    sent you some mail chris

aidanmack.co.uk
    Last edited by aidanmack; 08-23-2005 at 10:29 AM.