A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: JS Menu on SWF Rollover?

JS Menu on SWF Rollover?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to make a javascript menu pop up when you mouseover a flash movie. I'm having no luck just yet (been searching the internet for quite some time). Basically here is what I have to work with and my intentions:

I have a small area, approximately 100 x 100 pixels. Within that area I will have a flash movie the same size of the area (100 x 100) with scrolling names. I created a nice javascript menu using ******* DHTML Menu creator. If, by chance, you are familiar with that program, I did have an animated gif as the background but I guess I'm not too good with gifs since they turn out "jumpy". Anyways, Is there a way to make my JS Menu appear on a flash movie rollover and disappear on mouseout? The menu stretches "over" the page content so I cannot make the entire menu and background with flash unless there is an easy way for flash to expand over page content. I am confined to the 100 x 100 area.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Is what I want to do impossible? Any suggestions at all?

Thank you

It is not impossible, nothing is.
    You can call JS functions from Flash using getURL(javaScript:"whatever");
    I don't know the JS to go with it, and I have a strange feeling this will also involve some dHTML. Then again, I don't know jack about JS and HTML.

Hi and thanks for your reply! If I do somehow get the menu to work on rollover of a flash movie, will it expand "over" the page content and not be contained to the size of the flash movie? (ie 100 x100 pixels)

If it's JS with DHML - I can't think of a reason why it should be limitted to the dimensions of the .swf file.

Okay thanks. It is JS and DHTML. Now one more question for you. I need the menu to appear on mouseover and disappear on mouseout and not have the menu open "in a new window" etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

When using a getURL command, you can specify weather you want the link to open in a new window, in the parent window or in the current one.
    Check out the additional parameters, you can chose between _self, _parent, _blank.
    Play with it a little... it's fun.

I am aware of all of the window paramters (ie _self, _parent, etc.) but I don't want the menu to open in a window.

I... Don't undertand the problem. Do you know dHTML?