A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hidden lines / outlines

Does anyone know of a way of producing a hollow object, with no fills just the outlines and hidden lines, ie as if the object is made of transparent materials? I'm struggling... HELP!!

Have a look at the main page on my site if you don't know what I mean... http://www.xekute.com

i am not to sure if this is what your looking for, but have you tried when exporting from Swift 3d to a fla clicking on the output options and checking off include edges and unchecking fill objects.

mike

I've tried that, but thanks anyway

That kinda works but it doesn't give you the lines behind the faces that you should be able to see if it was just made up of a framework, I had a look at your site I loved the movies, very moving... thanks anyway, Dan

Wait, you WANT to be able to see the hidden lines right... Hrm...

I ran into this problem when I was working with the shattering glass in the DOD3... there's a way... gimmie a day or two... there's GOTTA be a way. The information is there.

Hrm...Vince

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Hey vince, did you come up with a solution?

No I didn't... I feel that we need a "transparent" color in Swift for it to do that... oh... oh my... imagine if you could pick a color for an object and then set it to 50% transparency. oh my. that would be supa-phat... E-Rain? You guys listening? hahahahaha... Swift3d 2!? eh? eh?! hahaha

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Material opacity is a step forward, although part of the rendering preprocessing involves backface culling and hidden line removal. If Swift3D uses a modular rendering approach, backface and hidden line information may not be known to the method that draws outlines. Even with material support, E-Rain may have to make major modifications to the rendering code.

One (cheap and dirty) solution is to use a variant of rotoscoping - use rendered wireframe results from your 3D package (I use MAX). Import these into flash along with your Swift3D result and use the wireframe as a guide to draw the hidden lines. Works best when you deal mostly with straight lines.

That's how I did the box with 2, 1, 1, 2, on individual faces, where you can see all the faces as if the material was transparent (on the home page).

Vince's material suggestion is awesome ... keep it up, man!

(add wireframe materials to the wish list)