A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Image Gallery

Image Gallery

http://nortonsflorist.com/ava/imagegallery/gallery.htm

Ok, so i tried this gallery, it's pretty high tech by my standards. You have the three folders, named 'cars', 'people', and ‘desktops’ and in them you stick your images. Flash pulls from the right folder and shrinks it down to thumbnail size. Then when you click it it expands it and still keeps it within 800x600 or whatever size you set the variables as.

I'm looking for a critique other than 'its ugly' because i already know that. There are two bugs that i know of:
    1.) on slow connections if you click an image while the others are loading then it shrinks indefinitely
    2.) if you have exactly twelve images in a folder, you can still click 'next' and end up on a completely blank page. So you need either <12 or >12 but not exactly 12 in a folder.

now tell me what i don't want to hear

Nice. But the layout it goes beyond the opened limits with the favourites open (1024x768).

I'm not sure i understand what you mean.

Mistress of the Night X_Piper_X's Avatar
    In the darkest deepest confinds of your mind
    Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHarry
    http://nortonsflorist.com/ava/imagegallery/gallery.htm
    Ok, so i tried this gallery, it's pretty high tech by my standards. You have the three folders, named 'cars', 'people', and ‘desktops’ and in them you stick your images. Flash pulls from the right folder and shrinks it down to thumbnail size. Then when you click it it expands it and still keeps it within 800x600 or whatever size you set the variables as.
    I'm looking for a critique other than 'its ugly' because i already know that. There are two bugs that i know of:
    1.) on slow connections if you click an image while the others are loading then it shrinks indefinitely
    2.) if you have exactly twelve images in a folder, you can still click 'next' and end up on a completely blank page. So you need either <12 or >12 but not exactly 12 in a folder.
    now tell me what i don't want to hear
    You could add more color to the background and some transitions, also make the thumbnails smaller, but other than that I see not problems, it loads nicely, images pop up quickly and I love how you made them transparent and windowless on the pop up for the full sized images, I say all in all you have done a good job. A+
    Last edited by X_Piper_X; 09-02-2005 at 12:05 AM. Reason: accidently loaded reply into quote section
    Sincerely Rock On,
    ♥Piper♥
    ↓Come Visit My Site (Piper`s Lair)↓

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are Krunchy and good with Ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHarry
    I'm not sure i understand what you mean.
    He means with a monitor set to 1024 x 768 resolution it requires unecessary scrolling. It could easily be tailored just a bit to sit nicely at that resolution and eliminate any scrolling.

i love the fact that "people" is pictures of cars with hot girls!
    Having a bad day? grinds-my-gears.com

What i do

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    sorry...this double posted...
    Last edited by MyFriendIsATaco; 09-04-2005 at 10:04 AM. Reason: double post...

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    This may help point you in the right direction for fixing the 12 to a page without goign to a blank page...its a little algorithm i use for any of that stuff and it works fine:
    Code:
    var perpage:Number=12;
    var totalImages:Number=13;
    var pages:Number=int(totalImages/perpage);
    var extras:Number=totalImages%perpage;
    if (extras>0){
         pages++;
    }
    trace(pages);//returns 2
    that code takes how many you want on the page...and how many you have total...divides them and returns the whole number...then it uses the modular division (%) to determine what the remainder is...and if the remainder is > 0, then it adds another page... i hope that helps you out! Keep up the good work!

yea, but the problem with this, is that i would then have to enter how many images i have total right?
    I'd need some sort of a counter then.

sweet, so i figured out why image number 4 was selectable before the image loads. Now, i just need to figure out why you can't click on an image until they all load and ill basically be through with the code bugs.