A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Scripts not working when exported, Actionscript for FP 6

Scripts not working when exported, Actionscript for FP 6

Hi guys

1)I really need some help here. I have a problem with scripts that work fine in 3dfa but not when exported to swf.
    More specifically: I cloned an array of edit boxes and they disappeared in the swf export. So I tried putting the editboxes on layers. Now they exported fine. Next I wrote a for() loop to fill the array of edit box layers with text from another array, it worked perfectly in 3dfa but when I export it, nothing.

Why is it that some things seem to work untill you export them? Am I missing something?

2)Will all actionscript for player 6 work in 3dfa?

Thanx!!

Wynand

Hmmm... problems with scripts in exported movies. Well, either your script is not being referenced correctly, OR perhaps you need to register 3DFA. Without someone looking at your .movie file it would be impossible to tell, so check both. The registration part is important, nonetheless, because only registered installations export scripts correctly after the 7-day timeout among other things.

As for using additional actionscript commands beyond what 3DFA has documented, in most cases you can. Check the Lopez Collection in the stickies for examples once you register or whatever you need to do.
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

Read my Private Message Response

Hey! Did you get my response to your PM. I think this may be on the same lines. Answered your PM before reading this, but you did mention Edit Boxes. I think that is the problem, not the scripting. See if you can get BLanius or Kusco to answer. May want to show them what I wrote you as well. Those Edit Boxes are tricky to deal with especially if you are trying to use the Show or Hide functions.
    MoonRise

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise
    Hey! Did you get my response to your PM. I think this may be on the same lines. Answered your PM before reading this, but you did mention Edit Boxes. I think that is the problem, not the scripting. See if you can get BLanius or Kusco to answer. May want to show them what I wrote you as well. Those Edit Boxes are tricky to deal with especially if you are trying to use the Show or Hide functions.
    Hmmm... must've forgot about that. So I guess it's three possibilities: poorly referenced script, erroneous edit box scripting OR the possibility of not being registered. Or maybe I hinted at it without totally remembering and it's still the same two as before. (Who knows?)
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

I'm pretty sure you cannot clone editboxes. However you should be able to clone a child movie with and editbox. Flash really dosen't allow alot of things that 3dfa seems to do like elements having certain properties like alpha, etc. what 3dfa does in make them into child movies behind the scenes to allow for that, There is script for creating editboxes at runtime but I just tired it and it doesn't work in 3dfa. But just put your editbox in a child movie and clone that and it should work fine.

Source code

Hi
    You guys are the best! MoonRise, (and every one else) thanks for your response.

My copy of 3dfa is registered.

I include the source code here: It is for a sudoku program I am developing. It seemed a lot of work to make 81 new edit boxes so I cloned them. They didn't export, so I stuck them on layers. The layered editboxes export beautifully but the filling code does not export at all, even though it works 100% in 3dfa preview.

Any ideas? Otherwise I'll just have to make those 81 blasted little editboxes by hand!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bieljam
    Hi
    You guys are the best! MoonRise, (and every one else) thanks for your response.

My copy of 3dfa is registered.

I include the source code here: It is for a sudoku program I am developing. It seemed a lot of work to make 81 new edit boxes so I cloned them. They didn't export, so I stuck them on layers. The layered editboxes export beautifully but the filling code does not export at all, even though it works 100% in 3dfa preview.

Any ideas? Otherwise I'll just have to make those 81 blasted little editboxes by hand!
    there are serious issuse with layers in this release. Use child movies! Make one and you can then clone it.

Sorry dude, I just reworked your file using child movies and it didn't export either.......

I know it can be worked around but it's this kind of thing that got me to move to Koolmoves for serious work.

Thanks!

Thanks Bret. I'll have a look a KoolMoves, (depending on budget.)
    In meantime I have already started to make seperate editboxes. It may take the whole weekend...

Wynand

You are using ADD() to put items in your arrays which is not correct syntax. Replace all ADD() with PUSH() and everything works.

Tried it without success

Quote Originally Posted by ppedz
    You are using ADD() to put items in your arrays which is not correct syntax. Replace all ADD() with PUSH() and everything works.
    Update on the textbox saga:
    1)I built all 81 text boxes by hand, and the filling script still does not export; the problem seems to be with filling the textboxes from an array. It does not export.
    2)PPEDZ, I tried your suggestion. It still does not work for me.

I played around with actionscript text fields. They seem to work in 3dfa, but it will be a steep learning curve for me.

Wynand

OK It works now. Thanks!

Just tried it again. It works now. What a relief.
    Thanks PPEDZ!

Glad I could help.