A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

Just got my mighty mouse today, what do you all think of them? It seems pretty cool at first glance.

what is mighty mouse?
    [edit]
    ok, i went to see it on the apple store. Seems pretty damn cool. I'll have to wait a bit before I get one.
    Last edited by Adixx; 09-04-2005 at 02:47 PM.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

Mighty Mouse? Might not.

Well, I just got mine two days ago and since you asked;

1) The method of sensing right or left click sometimes misfires, cost me a life twice while playing Battlefield 1942. But even while working it's a little annoying to get a left click when I wanted a right...Even if they just notched the areas where left and right click were, or textured them, that physical definition would help making misfires easily avoidable.

2) It's shaped more like a pill, and less like my hand, and so far it feels uncomfortable to reach forward enough with my fingers to reach the left and right buttons it's too thin and narrow to be able to 'palm' the thing comfortably and reaching forward enough is important because clicking near the middle of the mouse won't sense a right-click at all.

3) The scrollball Rocks. Small, inconspicuous, easier to use as a button than a scrollwheel. Nice responsive feel without the stutter movement you get from most scrollwheels. While waiting for things I'll scroll the ball back and forth...sounds like record scratching. I'm already used to holding shift to make scrollwheels go horizontal, so the multidirectional ability of it is nice but nothing to oh wow about.

4) the side buttons are useful but carpal-tunnel inducing. You have to squeeze both sides of the mouse to get enough force, flexing your whole forearm. They should have been clickable buttons that require less pressure, but unfortunately I think form won over function there. I should also be able to program those left and right buttons independently, but you couldn't do that with the current squeeze technique, you need the button on the opposite side for leverage.

Overall, I'm going to use it for a week and see how it effects my hand, the shape is wrong, the side buttons are not comfortable at all, and maybe I'll find an adjustment in my hand position that make those things better. For the moment though I can see myself going out and getting the latest Logitech who I personally think have always put out a very good products ergonomics-wise. Considering how much of my work is with that damn mouse, I can't sacrafice comfort for fashion or features.
    Tripping on the wire that divides sanity and
    pure psychosis.

appears I'll be using my mouse for quite a while then.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

Used one in the store today.

Can't say that I found it at all appealing. I'll stick to my MS Intellimouse 2.0 Wireless on my Mac.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Just got one of these yesterday. So far I definitely like it, however, I’m used to the one button Apple mouse. I’m sure If I were used to a decent 2+ button mouse made by anyone else this would suck.

The Mighty Mouse:

The left and right button sometimes get confused with each other, it seems over the years my left finger has got further and further to the right on the single button mouse. I guess I’ll get used to the need for proper positioning and am already adjusting to/liking the extra button.

The scroll ball is 50% bad-arse, 50% make-me-wanna-smash-my-new-mighty-mouse-with-big-hammer! When browsing the internet, the up and down scroll is seriously sweet!!! I find myself just doing it because I now can! However, the back and forth function drove me crazy and I had to disable it. I don’t hold my mouse perfectly straight, so when I was trying to scroll up it would send me back a page... ARRRGGGG!!! Form over function I think, the little ball looks kool, but doesn’t work in four directions if you ask me. But, just for up and down it’s great.

The side buttons need too much pressure to activate. I set them to application switcher, but after about a minute reverted to using apple/tab. In my opinion they’re pretty useless as they are.

I’ve only found use for the 3rd button in Halo so far, but I’m sure I’ll get around to using for something productive soon enough...

===

The one button Apple mouse was/is great in my opinion, I’ve been used to using the ctrl button to right click for years and years so have never craved more than one button. Scrolling was the main reason I wanted to check this Mighty Mouse out - and for up and down scrolling it is great! It would be better if it were just a single button as before but with the scroll ball.

If you’ve got a multiple button mouse already but want an Apple branded one, don’t bother! If you’re still using the single button mouse, I’d suggest waiting for the next Apple mouse, I’m sure they'll improve on this design!

it figures that apple would come out with a two button mouse with a scroll.. ball.. after i had to switch to a trackball b/c of CTS

BASTAGES!!