A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Camera suggestions

Camera suggestions

Hey guys, I'm getting married in October, and we're registering for gifts at Target. I was wondering if there's a decent digital camera there that's worth getting...well registering for and hoping to get. Here's the link to the 6+ MP camera's...i dont know squat about them so I'm hoping you camera freaks can help me out.

Thanks.

Target 6 MP Cameras

If I had my choice of any of these, I would take this canon powershot. 7.1 MegaPix. It looks small. Movie Mode. I like compact Flash media. That swivel LCD thing looks cool to get creative with. I have owned a couple powershots and have been happy.

Yeah powershots are amazing for point and shoot, and are actually more advanced then you think.

And compact flash forever..**** that SD media!
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

out of interest, why 6+MP cameras? If you need that much pixels and based on the list on Target, I would go for Nikon Coolpix 8800.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytryout
    out of interest, why 6+MP cameras? If you need that much pixels and based on the list on Target, I would go for Nikon Coolpix 8800.
    I forgot to click page 2! If those are available than yes, I would get the D50 DSLR or the one you 880... sorry my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytryout
    I actually dont need a 6+ MP camera...i just dont know squat about camera's...and i doubt i'd get that Nikon since its a grand. Is there a quality 4+ MP camera out there that you guys would recommend? I guess i just need something better than my Sony Cybershot 3.2 MP...it doesnt take that great of photos unless its just me, they always come out blurry.

Get a canon power shot.

personally, anything over 6+MP is "too much" and is only needed by photographers in the industry.

For me, I would be happy with 3.2MP and a 6x or more optical zoom. Examples I saw on the link you provided earlier:
    - Panasonic DMC-FZ4S (4MP, 12x zoom -- similar to Z5, both received a lot of praise)
    - Canon PowerShot S2-IS rings a bell, but can't remember where I read about it. At least, it looks good according to Steve's-digicams review
    - Canon PowerShot SD400: I am unsure whether this is the same as the one that my mate has. It is a great little digicam. If you are not too bothered about the zoom (e.g. you only need it for point-and-shoot) then this is the digicam to get. It does not feel "plasticy", great vibrant colours in photos, very quick start-up, and easy-to-modify settings for experiments.

btw congrats re marriage

Thanks for the help guys, so it looks like the Canon PowerShot is the way to go. Hopefully i'll get one.

Thanks for the congrats tonytryout!

cool -- good choice re Canon PowerShot, you won't be disappointed with it.