dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Error Opening Swf

Error Opening Swf

This is a recurring, though probably very simple issue I have when publishing some flash files to swf. This is the error message:

Error opening URL "file:///matt%20hard%20disk/Users/admin/Desktop/Matts%20Current%20Websites/www.hammersmithconsultation.co.uk/data/base.swf"

as you can see the flash file is sitting 4 levels down in a folder. When published to the desktop it works fine. It seems that whenver the flash file is more than one level down in a folder, there is an error publishing the swf???

Is this some quirky OSX / MX thing?
    Last edited by MattShelley; 09-06-2005 at 06:50 AM.

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Are wanting to publish this to the internet or just locally on your machine?
    I'm currious why there is a web address at the end of that error message. If your publishing for the internet you must set all your paths correctly or things won't work.

I am suspicious, we had a freelancer come in and work on my machine while I was on holiday and they changed several of my preferences, including some in the Flash 'publish settings'.

I am trying to publish/preview (apple/return) a simple flash file with no actions - just a red circle and its saying the same thing.

I think something has been changed in the publish settings. I am trying to publish direct to my desktop

Any ideas?

i take it the problem is not publishing but when you try to view the published swf. i think you will find it is because the path name is long. I think the cut off is 128 characters (or somewhere around that). so as you say putting it on the desktop reduces this pathname so it will work.

"I'm currious why there is a web address at the end of that error message" that is not a web address but his folder name.

Thats right - the swf is there, but doesnt appear without manually opening it up.

Its never been a problem up till the last week or so. I am saving the swf local to the flash file.

I cant keep everything on the desktop as I am just starting to build a new site and its going to be wildly impractical.

Is there any way to reduce the path name length - would you have to specify where the swf is published to in 'publish settings'?

I guess there is a way which seems to work - and thats giving everything a shorter name. I must have been lucky in the past with name length as I like to give things descriptive monikers (otherwise 6 months down the line you never know what anything is.

Cheers for the help guys!

matt hard disk/Users/admin/Desktop/Matts Current Websites/ --

Or instead of all this put a folder at the root of your HD. e.g. C://Website/www.hammersmithconsultation.co.uk

i use the same naming convention so i know whats what but have never had your problem (as yet)

Flasher
    ya, it would be easiest just to switch the file name, or even put it on the web.