A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black&White or Colour? Need opinions.

Black&White or Colour? Need opinions.

I just cant decide which of these I prefer. Any comments welcome! I find quite often i have a colour and black and white version both of which I like.

colour?

or

B&W

Also what methods do people use for black and white conversion?

I really like the b&w more. Not really sure it just sticks out a lot more then the color one.

What did you use to convert it?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I just used the hue/saturation command in phsop and then played with the levels.

Bw

Black and white, love the contrast!

And loving the signatures on the photos
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

i like the b&w better for sure.

i just use hue/saturation in photoshop when going to b&w.
    is there another way that's better?

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Yeah I am digging the signature too, I need to come up with something to put on mine.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

i just say image>Adjustment>Desaturate.

But just going to the hue/saturation is easier so I can just desaturate and then play with the brightness.

thanks.

anyone use curves?

I think there are ways of doing it with the digfferent colour channels or something but I wasnt sure. I must admit i just use levels, curves looks to complicated

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    B&W - very nice ct.

Sometimes I go:
    grayscale->duotone->play with curves->rgb (or cmyk depending on the job)

I think the b/w has the better immediate impact, but I like the softness and colors of the swan? in the color.

I love how the swan/goose stands out on the BW. But the blue-ish/grey water goes great with his feathers. So I guess Im not much help cause I like them both.

ctrl+shift+U = Desaturate
    ..:: Anthony C ::..

Thanks everyone, I do think the b&w one has a bit more punch to it.

juvenile swan btw.

great photo i love the ripples/ reflections in the water. and the texture of the feathers. very cool. and yeah i like both versions, but do agree that the b&w is more .....striking.

b+w for me -- somehow it seems to have more "ooomph" than the colour one.

Quote Originally Posted by ctranter
    I think there are ways of doing it with the digfferent colour channels or something but I wasnt sure. I must admit i just use levels, curves looks to complicated

thats what I use (channels) - by removing the channels to leave just one (say the red channel) gives a totally different feel to the greyscale image than say if you left just the green channel.

here is a pic i put together as an e.g.

the top pic is just the red channel, the blacks are clearly deeper in this format. The other two have come out looking similar to each other - but you can see that the blue channel looks a little more washed out and the highlights on the tyre wall text have come out a touch lighter.

depending on the image depends on which channel is best to pick - I think this is a better starting point than just say "de-saturating" as the result of this can often look a little flat.
    .....just my humble opinion....

by the way - I love the water on the black and white one ctranter, it almost looks as though its been "burnt in" a bit more than the colour version. Im a big fan of b&w photography.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adamcrohill; 09-08-2005 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo's

When I want to convert to b&w I do the following:

1) Duplicate my photo on a layer above it
    2) Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer above both
    3) Play around with blending modes and opacity of that duplicated copy as well as the adjustment layer until I get the results I like
    4) When all is well, I'll flatten then use dodge/burn tools to touch up. Often times I'll keep two separate files of this ... one with the layerd file pre-touch up, one flattened and touched up. That way I still have my original picture and if I need to go back and adjust it further I can.

I'm pretty much a non-destructive, layer mongering whore. I've had some photos I've touched up that end up being 10+ layers before I'm satisfied with the final results. Don't do it with every photo, but if it's something I know I'll make a large print of or will include in a print design I'll spend that extra time to get it perfect and give me the option to make adjustments down the road.

there's an easy to use converter for B&W in photoshop. all you need to do is go to the menu and do convert to grayscale. i forget what the menu it is in, however it's one of the ones next to the file menu.

Quote Originally Posted by swak
    there's an easy to use converter for B&W in photoshop. all you need to do is go to the menu and do convert to grayscale. i forget what the menu it is in, however it's one of the ones next to the file menu.

Image>Mode>Greyscale

stumbled across this today - Photoshop User Tutorial on B&W
    http://www.photoshopuser.com/landscape/text.html
    ..:: Anthony C ::..