A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adding to an already FLASHed site

Adding to an already FLASHed site

Hi all,

I am a disabled commercial Website designer who has been forced away from Web design work for a few years now. My illness has, and does, prevent me from doing almost everything I used to do, except sitting here at my computer and keeping as busy as I can.

I have taken to bartering for things I need or want by utilising my writing skills. I look for sites that really need help with their copy, and then I offer to correct all of the text throughout their Website in exchange for whatever it happens to be that I am seeking at the time.

I have been asked to create a Website that has a FLASH presentation. Since I know nothing about FLASH, I acquired a program called Trendy Flash Website Builder. I'm sure many of you are familiar with this program or others like it.
    Now here's my question: can I use FLASH MX 2004 to create a little FLASH presentation that sort of appears at various trigger points on any given page, that will not clash in any way with the FLASH that the Trendy FLASH program created? In other words as a visitor arrives at a page and begins to look through it, if their cursor happens to roll over the invisible "Magic Spot" (forgive my lack cleverness with that name here, but it's late and I'm a bit tired...*smile*) this little window would sort of fade in, or perhaps make a big sort of startling splash onto the page to really get their attention, and display an image and text or ideally, and image with a voice message attached to it.

This would work a bit like a contest, keeping the visitor at the site which is a good thing. We used to refer to this sort of thing as site "stickiness". Things like this can work wery well if designed thoughtfully and with great care. I’ve just never done it with FLASH before!

Can anyone help? Would anyone here be interested in assisting me in the creation of this little FLASH goodie in exchange for my professional writing skills or graphic artwork?
    I am an award-winning graphic artist, and I’ve been designing everything from successful corporate logos to The Pentagon's AIR FORCE graphics library since the very first days of the Internet. I have designed and built hundreds of sites over the many years I owned and operated successful commercial Website design businesses. I just got away from the business for the reasons explained above, and now I’m too far behind to catch up in time.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. And I hope one of you feels like lending a hand and gaining some help in return.

All the best!

Mojave Dave

Dave,

When you want to play a Flash movie on a website, Flash uses what is called an 'swf' file, which is essentially a movie file. So that Flash Designer program you spoke of probably created one of these for you, and an html file as well. An html page can support multiple swf files, i.e. many movies at a time, and they won't clash or interfere (well, in most cases...). So you should be good to go. If you have any more specific questions about your project, feel free to post. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTycoon
    Dave,

When you want to play a Flash movie on a website, Flash uses what is called an 'swf' file, which is essentially a movie file. So that Flash Designer program you spoke of probably created one of these for you, and an html file as well. An html page can support multiple swf files, i.e. many movies at a time, and they won't clash or interfere (well, in most cases...). So you should be good to go. If you have any more specific questions about your project, feel free to post. Cheers!
    Thanks for the information, mate. Very kind of you to take the time. I won't worry so much about things bumping into each other and conflictingwith each toehr.

Thanks again!