A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOWOWOW Flash 8 is OUT!!! Discuss what you think here:

Cow Icon WOWOWOW Flash 8 is OUT!!! Discuss what you think here:

Im currently downloading it so i cant comment ,yet :P
    What do you think
    is it anybetter than mx2004pro?

Actionscript 3, postproduction georgecalgary's Avatar
    huh.....downloading too. Just wonder it's 153MB there but download progress with 107MB total size.

lol
    installing now
    cant wait!!!

kinda dissapointed but still you can tell whats been upgraded and some tabs have been moved, couple of extra tabs on properties bar
    but still its macromedia and im sure they will make updates and stuff to make it better

Also when you press Ctrl+J the window has changed ,more has been added, im sure they will be lots of little adjustmenst like this

Not bad huh...

I found if one who have to do something on Flash 7 style(at least we have to do so right now), simply change publish setting as Flash Player 7, thus features like filter will disable itself.

Another about the new script assist, they get almost the same style that Swishmax doing.

One thing changed not so convenience, the properties panel is now not so easy to shut down, hit area reduce to the only small triangle before title, I have to create a short-cut key for it.
    Last edited by georgecalgary; 09-13-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Think I'm going to have to refine my coding. I notice alot of "import" statements being used in code examples and I'm not all familiar with the process and when it needs to be done. Also might be time for me to start typing variables like myvariable:variableType=value...
    ecards - My full flash site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctittles
    Think I'm going to have to refine my coding. I notice alot of "import" statements being used in code examples and I'm not all familiar with the process and when it needs to be done. Also might be time for me to start typing variables like myvariable:variableType=value...
    I hear ya. I skipped MX2004 due to it being a terrible release.
    So far Flash 8 is looking good. They fixed the undo THANK GOD.

'import' is a means to tell manually to Flash to include a given object's code.
    I would assume this is only needed if you use an object that is not
    included by default. Likely this will be mainly the new stuff.
    http://www.**********-dms.com

Yea, I understand a little bit of the process with import, classes and such. I learned some JAVA a few years ago and there was alot of that going on, but have forgot alot of it. Just trying to use the new features and ran into import in the help. Some of it's pretty exciting though! And my main Whew so far is that the test screen can be set to the size of the movie without ruining the maximized view of the work area....

I changed code while there in example using import.

this.attachMovie("ball","ball_mc",1);
    var blurX:Number = 30;
    var blurY:Number = 30;
    var quality:Number = 3;
    var myBlurFilter = new flash.filters.BlurFilter(blurX, blurY, quality);
    var myFilters:Array = ball_mc.filters;
    myFilters.push(myBlurFilter);
    ball_mc.filters = myFilters;
    ball_mc._x = 150;
    ball_mc._y =150;

ABSOLUTE FAILURE !!!!
    The new player requires you to go to the MACROMEDIA web site and upload the address of any flash files which request information over the web. This is without any doubt the biggest intrusion I have ever seen by any comany EVER!
    I WILL NOT be engaging in this kind of childish restrictions from macromedia, therefore I will not be engaging in flash player 8. If I am unable to use bevels, bitmap cache, and video alpha then so be it cause thats all you get.
    You loose MM!
    BOLLOCKS !!
    peace.

^I've seen a few people mention about having to submit information to Macromedia with version 8. I'm not really following what this is all about,
    what exactly does it entail/mean?
    Why have they done it, is it to prevent piracy or is it some kind of supposed Internet security measure?

Thanks.

There's no way that's true audas... people would just switch to MX 04.
    -Danny
    K2xL - My games, tutorials, message boards, and experiments.
    Blog

The new flash player will not allow access from an swf to information coming from anyother source other than its local domain. (You can not load information across a network or accross the web-this is all encompassing including things such as NetStreams, GetURL, LoadSWF whatever (only SharedObject seems excluded). The only way around this is to install a .cfg file with stand alone, alter the cross domain policy file, or submit the file location to Macromedia via their website (with local swf) for approval into your local config......try and do anything basically that isnt local (an absolute url) and it fails.
    cheers.
    sam
    peace.

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/fla...8_security.pdf

User controls
    Flash Player provides users with three different mechanisms for setting permissions. The Settings UI
    provides a quick, interactive mechanism for configuring the settings for a specific domain. The Settings
    Manager presents a more detailed interface than the settings UI and provides the ability to make global
    changes that affect permissions for many or all domains. Additionally, at the moment a new permission is
    requested by a SWF file, requiring runtime decisions concerning security or privacy, Flash Player presents
    dialog boxes that allow users to adjust some Flash Player settings.
    Although it appears that these settings are configured within the context of a web page, Flash Player actually
    retrieves the settings locally and only displays them in the apparent context of the web page being viewed.
    Macromedia does not collect any information about Flash Player user settings or preferences, and at no
    time are the user’s settings at risk of being snooped or hijacked. The Settings Manager appears to be an
    application hosted on the Macromedia web page (www.macromedia.com), but it is in reality a SWF file
    served from the Macromedia domain and running on the user machine. Although the Settings user interface
    (UI) and the small context-sensitive runtime Settings dialog boxes appear superimposed over other Flash
    Player content, Flash Player runs these in separate sandboxes.
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
    If Vegetarians like animals so much, why do they eat all their food?

Quote Originally Posted by audas
    The new flash player will not allow access from an swf to information coming from anyother source other than its local domain.
    Hasn't this been the sandbox rules for about 2+ years now?
    I'm not getting what your upset about.
    http://www.**********-dms.com

To be fair the security has been beefed up a bit and it will trip people up who aren't expecting it.

It is all documented in the help files though.

See "Creating configuration files for Flash development" for how to set up a configuration of trusted files etc.

*edit, useful info...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/fla..._security.html
    Last edited by Lexicon; 09-14-2005 at 08:21 AM.
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
    If Vegetarians like animals so much, why do they eat all their food?

Actually, what I like best is the new Flash video codec. The interface is a little nicer(ie I don't have to keep loading up the library). I am a bit distressed about the getURL thing that has been discussed. If it is as bad as some are saying, this could be a deal breaker for Flash 8. I mostly do CD distribution with a projector, so I don't know if all this will affect me or not. I do all my scripting in normal anyway, so the new actionscript set up doesn't make much difference either. I really like the new codec, but that alone is not enough to make me shelve MX2004 at the present.

I dunno what the hell is being talked about here. I'll read up on it in a bit, but from all the complaining it just sounds like it's a simple matter of System.security.allowDomain ("http://url.."), like you had to do in Flash MX when you wanted to access another URL via a script or load from one or whatever. Isn't that the case?

No more saving in MX. Only in 7 or 8. I guess the Flash society will become a class society
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -