A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Static effect

Static effect

I've been using this TV static effect as a theme for my site. It recently came to my attention that it demands a lot of processor power. If you view the static and look at processor usage it will be very high, close the swf and the processor usage drops. This is apparently causing some browsers or possibly computers to freeze. I don't want to throw away my static but I can't seem to figure out a fix. As it is now the static is created by spinning a bitmap using action script. I've also tried versions with framed animations of static, ie I have 8 or so images of static that each reside on a keyframe. Both methods cause the high processor usage. Any ideas?

Grr this whole attachment limit, while very understandable, is quite the pain. I have a feeling old post are going to lose some of their files so that new post can be made. Too bad because I troll old post for tips all the time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I don't have answers.

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    I use 4 static jpeg's for a TV effect and it seems to work perfectly. These were made in Photoshop and because it's 'static' they don't have to be high quality, it's just an effect after all. No action script is used to create the effect, just different images on 4 keyframes.
    I would make around 4 images of static then turn them all into 1 movie clip. This should solve a lot of problems.
    Just my method.

I also used this method only with more images and it runs my processor to full. Instead of 4 I used 8 just to give more random action but it doesn't seem to matter how many images. I just made a quick test with four frames. The jpegs are saved at 72 dpi and zero quality and it runs the processor to 70%. There is no action script on this movie and it's all contained in one movie clip.
    I don't have answers.

Ok something's up. I just made another one and it takes the processor to 25%. I don't get what's going on but I'll just play around with it and see what happens.
    I don't have answers.

sometimes .fla's just become corrupt.

also if you have bad or open ended code.. onClipEvent (enterFrame) running alot.. or a lot of "tweening" going on as well ..this adds...

if "ALL" you have is this clip...then Im not sure...

Well, I've narrowed it down to frame rate. The higher the frame rate the more processor power it requires. The unfortunate thing is that the static looks better at higher frame rates. Even at 12 fps the usage is up to about 60% on my PC. I'd like to blame it on the static flashing and just being hard to render but if I make the same effect in a gif form it runs fine without causing my processor to sweat. I'd post an example but the limit is too low and my webhost has decided they don't like the internet.
    I don't have answers.