A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ragdoll thing

Ragdoll thing

I have made a platform engine with a ragdoll. If you have any better way of coding the platform part or have any feedback, pls do so. I just need a better platform code, because you can see that the one I have is a bit messed up.

Heres the link: www.chewableonline.com/~daryl/public/rag.swf

BTW, press K to kill your self and arrow keys to move, J to punch. You can hit
    the "punching bag".
    Last edited by monstercheif; 09-22-2005 at 08:25 AM.

yay go mr floppy!

now why didnt i ever think of putting in a kill myself key before!? great feature!

Hey that's pretty neat
    One thing though, it seemed that the arms were going up too soon (somewhere in the dead-zone of the jump). That made it look a bit odd.
    I liked the kill myself function aswell

the guy looks better when he's dead or dying. Maybe have actual animtion up until the point of death.

Good work though, funny stuff.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Is that difficult to do? I've always wanted to try it, but I wouldn't know where to start.
    My Music

Click it.

Its not that difficult, its mostly maths. you can search the web for inverse kinematics. And thanks for the feedback.

Doesn't the name say it all?
    I've always wanted to experiment with this type of stuff for a fighting/platform game. I am most interested in how you made the punching motion work. Can you use the same method to control joint movement along with endpoint movement? (because I was thinking of attempting an engine that has natural poses, but blends with completely ragdoll reactions/inbetweens)

doItLikeThis
    hehehehe, sorry dude, that's one of the coolest and funniest things i have seen. just go forwards and keep jumping (you can get the *frolic frolic* feeling). For platform, I guess you should try point based collision detection for slopes.
    -Aditya

How do you do that?
    And evil demon creature, you can, thats what i did

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    Cool! I think there should be a whole different running animation and punching animation, then the ragdoll effects come into action on death. But put restrictions on the ragdoll effect (realistic joints, not so floppy) and increase the gravity so the body falls faster. A bit of a bounce when the player hits the ground would be awesome too.

Just saying this because you seem very competent.
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

I made a better one:
    www.chewableonline.com/~daryl/public/rag2.swf
    I did the slope collision, but its still a bit wierd. Any platform codes would still be welcomed.
    Thx for feedback.

Doesn't the name say it all?
    Heh, cool. I'll have to look it up sometime. Although I do have some feedback, not about the platform collison though.

Whenever I drag and throw someone through the air, they tend to slow down mid-air until they start falling down vertically. Considering how little friction an object has in air, this seems to take a bit away from your realistic physics.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    agreed. I noticed the stopping in mid air too. Quite a nice little engine there would be cool to see a propper game with it. I also think you need to add angle constraints, cause at the moment its like all his bones are broken . Other than that though, good work would be nice to see some propper graphics too

Ali

better than chuck norris
    it looks a bit ridiculous if you ask me. but cool.